Proving Kirchhoff's diffraction equation with Green's second identity

In summary, the conversation discusses the use of Green's second identity in proving Kirchhoff's diffraction equation. This identity relates the solutions in the volume and boundary, with two scalar functions phi and psi generating a vector field. To obtain the Kirchhoff's diffraction equation, a Green function is plugged in instead of psi, which is a solution to the Helmholtz equation with Dirac's delta as a perturbation. The discussion raises questions about the rationale behind choosing one of the solutions as a Green function and the lack of satisfactory explanations in various books. The conversation also mentions the difficulty in finding an explicit solution for a Dirac's delta, making the Kirchhoff's equation a valuable tool.
gN]Berserker
Hi Guys,

I assume you are familiar with the equations so i do not post them (please write if u want me to post them).

One of the steps to prove Kirchhoff's diffraction equation is to use Green's second identity.
This identity shows the relation between the solutions in the volume and boundary. The two solutions - are two scalar functions phi and psi that generate a vector field trough: A = phi*del(psi).
all till now is just definitions.

In order to get the Kirchhoff's diffraction equation a Green FUNCTION is plugged instead of psi into the identity. This green function is a solution to the Helmholtz equation with Dirac's delta as perturbation.

I do not understand:

1. the connection of Green's second identity to the topic - why it is used at all.
2. why the Green function is just plugged in, instead of one of the solutions.

I went trough few books: Born and wolf, Jackson, Goodman,,, but no one gives satisfactory explanation. actually all just ignore (2) and say something of the kind:
"We call the second solution function (psi) an auxiliary function that is also the Green function of Helmholtz equation."

What is the rational behind choosing one of the solutions as a Green function at all?
(I guess it makes sense to choose the Green function of Helmholtz equation as we speak about wave propagation).

Thanks!
Please write if you are not familiar with the equations, I will write them or link you.

Physics news on Phys.org
Try anything else that the solution for a Dirac's delta,
and you won't find the explicit solution that the Kirchhoff's equation provides.
The Dirac's delta is what pops the solution out of the Green identity.

1. What is Kirchhoff's diffraction equation and why is it important?

Kirchhoff's diffraction equation is a mathematical model that describes the propagation of waves through an aperture or obstacle. It is important because it allows us to predict the behavior of waves in various scenarios, such as light passing through a slit or sound waves diffracting around obstacles.

2. What is Green's second identity and how is it related to Kirchhoff's equation?

Green's second identity is a mathematical theorem that relates the values of a function and its derivatives at two points in a region. It is related to Kirchhoff's equation because it provides a mathematical framework for proving the equation using the principle of superposition.

3. What is the principle of superposition and how does it apply to Kirchhoff's diffraction equation?

The principle of superposition states that the overall effect of multiple waves acting on a point is the sum of the individual effects of each wave. In the context of Kirchhoff's equation, this means that the total wave at a point is the sum of the incident and diffracted waves, allowing us to calculate the diffraction pattern from an aperture or obstacle.

4. What are the assumptions made when using Kirchhoff's diffraction equation?

Kirchhoff's diffraction equation makes several assumptions, including that the aperture or obstacle is small compared to the wavelength of the wave, the diffracting edge is sharp, and the screen on which the diffraction pattern is observed is far from the aperture. These assumptions allow for a simplified mathematical model of diffraction.

5. How can Kirchhoff's diffraction equation be experimentally verified?

Kirchhoff's diffraction equation can be experimentally verified by measuring the diffraction pattern produced by a known aperture or obstacle and comparing it to the predicted pattern using the equation. This can be done for different wavelengths of light or sound, as well as different aperture or obstacle shapes, to further validate the equation.