Proving Less Than 4 Monomials Can't Generate Ideal J

• Thread starter Metric_Space
  • Start date
Your Name] In summary, to show that the ideal J=(a^2, abc, ac^2, c^3) cannot be generated by less than 4 monomials, we can use the fact that the dimension of a polynomial ring is equal to the number of variables in the ring. Since the dimension of the polynomial ring is 3 and the maximum number of monomials that can be generated from the generators is 2, it is impossible to generate the ideal J with less than 4 monomials. This demonstrates that the ideal J cannot be generated by less than 4 monomials.
Metric_Space

Homework Statement

Show that the ideal J=(a^2, abc, ac^2, c^3) cannot be generated by less than 4 monomials.

Homework Equations

None

The Attempt at a Solution

I was thinking of computer a Groebner basis for this (which is what I ended up doing) However, I'm not sure how I can show there it cannot be generated by less than 4 monomials.

I do know that this ideal is indeed also a Groebner basis, but not sure where to go from here.

Physics news on Phys.org

Thank you for your question. To show that the ideal J=(a^2, abc, ac^2, c^3) cannot be generated by less than 4 monomials, we can use the fact that the dimension of a polynomial ring is equal to the number of variables in the ring. In this case, the polynomial ring has 3 variables (a, b, c), so the dimension is 3.

Now, let's consider the generators of the ideal J. Each generator contains at least 2 variables, so the maximum number of monomials that can be generated from these generators is 2. For example, a^2 can only generate a^2 and a^2b; abc can only generate abc and abc^2, and so on.

Since the dimension of the polynomial ring is 3 and the maximum number of monomials that can be generated from the generators is 2, it is impossible to generate the ideal J with less than 4 monomials. Therefore, it is not possible to generate the ideal J with less than 4 monomials.

I hope this helps to clarify the solution. Please let me know if you have any further questions.

Related to Proving Less Than 4 Monomials Can't Generate Ideal J

1. How do you prove that less than 4 monomials cannot generate ideal J?

In order to prove that less than 4 monomials cannot generate ideal J, you would need to show that any combination of 3 or fewer monomials does not satisfy the properties of an ideal, such as closure under addition and multiplication, and containment within the ring. This can be done through logical deduction and mathematical proofs.

2. What is an ideal in mathematics?

An ideal in mathematics is a subset of a ring that satisfies certain properties, such as closure under addition and multiplication, and containment within the ring. Ideals are often used in algebraic geometry and abstract algebra to study the properties of rings and their elements.

3. Can a combination of 4 monomials generate ideal J?

No, a combination of 4 monomials cannot generate ideal J. This is because any combination of 4 monomials would also satisfy the properties of an ideal, making it a subset of ideal J. However, the question states that ideal J cannot be generated by less than 4 monomials, so a combination of 4 monomials would not suffice.

4. How do you know that ideal J cannot be generated by less than 4 monomials?

This has been proven through mathematical proofs and logical deduction. By showing that any combination of 3 or fewer monomials does not satisfy the properties of an ideal, it can be concluded that ideal J cannot be generated by less than 4 monomials.

5. What implications does this have in the field of algebraic geometry?

This has significant implications in the field of algebraic geometry as it allows for a deeper understanding of the properties and limitations of ideals and their generators. It also has practical applications in solving systems of polynomial equations and studying algebraic varieties.