Proving R as a PID: Z ⊂ R ⊂ Q with R as an Integral Domain

• Thread starter Mathsgirl
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Domain
In summary, the problem is to prove that R, a ring containing both the integers and rationals, is a principal ideal domain. This means that every ideal in R can be generated by a single element, which is of the form aR for some a in R. One approach is to consider a specific example of a subring of Q, such as {a*2^(-b): for an integer a and natural number b}, and try to generalize from there. Another approach is to directly show that any ideal in R is principal. Additionally, it must also be shown that R is an integral domain, meaning that it has no zero divisors. This may follow from the fact that Q, which has no zero divisors,
Mathsgirl

Homework Statement

Prove that R is a PID (principal ideal domain) when R is a ring such that Z [tex]\subset[/tex] R [tex]\subset[/tex] Q (Z=integers, Q=rationals)

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

So I'm not really sure how to start this problem. I know that a principal ideal domain is an integral domain in which every ideal is principal. Z is euclidean domain and therefore a PID, Q is a field and therefore a PID. So R is 'between' 2 PIDs. Also if I could show it was a Euclidean Domain then it would be a PID.

Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
Try to picture explicitly what a subring of [tex]\mathbb{Q}[/tex] might look like. Take [tex]\mathbb{Z}[/tex] and throw in a fraction or two; what does that generate?

You could try attacking the problem directly. Let I be an ideal of R...

I can see that R must be all integers plus some rationals, an example of this could be {a*2^(-b): for an integer a and natural number b}, but I'm not sure how to write down a more general subring?

If I consider an ideal I of R, I need to show that it is principal, so of the form aR for some a in R. I know how to do this for integers, but not when there are rationals too.

I would also then need to show that R is an interal domain, so has no zero divisors. I think as Q has no zero divisors and R is a subring of Q I can deduce that R also has no zero divisors?

1. What is a Principal Ideal Domain (PID)?

A Principal Ideal Domain is a type of integral domain in abstract algebra. It is a commutative ring where every ideal is principal, meaning it can be generated by a single element. This property is also known as the principal ideal property.

2. What are the properties of a Principal Ideal Domain?

In addition to the principal ideal property, a PID also has the following properties:

• Every ideal is finitely generated.
  • The greatest common divisor of any two elements can be expressed as a linear combination of the two elements.
  • If a and b are nonzero elements, then there exists a greatest common divisor d such that a and b are both multiples of d.
  • If a and b are relatively prime, then there exist elements x and y such that ax+by=1.

3. How is a Principal Ideal Domain different from an Euclidean Domain?

A PID is a more general type of ring compared to an Euclidean Domain. While both have the principal ideal property, a PID does not necessarily have a division algorithm like an Euclidean Domain does. This means that in a PID, there may not be a defined way to divide one element by another and get a remainder.

4. What are some examples of Principal Ideal Domains?

Some examples of PID include:

• The ring of integers (Z)
  • The ring of polynomials with coefficients in a field
  • The ring of Gaussian integers (a+bi where a and b are integers)
  • The ring of algebraic integers

5. How are Principal Ideal Domains used in mathematics and science?

PIDs have many applications in mathematics and science, especially in number theory and algebraic geometry. They are used to study factorization of polynomials and integers, and to prove theorems about divisibility and prime elements. They also have applications in coding theory and cryptography, where they are used to construct error-correcting codes and to secure data transmission.