Proving Sup g(y) ≤ Inf f(x)

• Thread starter jmjlt88
  • Start date
In summary, we pick arbitrary x' and y' and use the definitions of f and g to show that g(y')≤f(x'). Since this holds for any x' and y', we can conclude that g(y)≤f(x) for all x,y. Thus, g(y) is a lower bound for the set {f(x): x in X}, and therefore g(y)≤inf{f(x): x in X} for all y. This means that inf{f(x): x in X} is an upper bound for the set {g(y): y in Y}, proving the desired inequality.
jmjlt88
Let X and Y be nonempty sets and let h: X x Y→ℝ
Define f: X →ℝ and g: Y→ℝ by the following:

f(x)=sup{h(x,y): y in Y} and g(y) = inf{h(x,y): x in X}

Prove that sup{g(y): y in Y} ≤ inf{f(x): x in X}

Attempt at solution:
Pick y' in Y. Then g(y')≤h(x,y') for all x in X. Hence, there exist some x' such that g(y')≤h(x',y').
Then, h(x',y')≤ sup{h(x',y): y in Y} = f(x')... Not too sure where to go from here... A small hint would be great!

Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
Wait... I think I got it..

Pick any y' and x'. Then, g(y') ≤ h(x,y') for all x; therefore g(y')≤h(x',y'). Now, h(x',y')≤sup{h(x',y) : y in Y}=f(x'). This established the following inequality:

g(y')≤f(x').​

Because x' and y' were arbitrary, we conclude g(y)≤f(x) for all x,y. Thus g(y) is a lower bound for the set {f(x): x in X} for all y; it follows that g(y)≤inf{f(x):x in X} for all y. Then, since g(y)≤inf{f(x):x in X}, inf{f(x):x in X} is an upper bound for the set {g(y): y in Y} ... the rest is history! :)

jmjlt88 said:
Wait... I think I got it..

Pick any y' and x'. Then, g(y') ≤ h(x,y') for all x; therefore g(y')≤h(x',y'). Now, h(x',y')≤sup{h(x',y) : y in Y}=f(x'). This established the following inequality:

g(y')≤f(x').​

Because x' and y' were arbitrary, we conclude g(y)≤f(x) for all x,y. Thus g(y) is a lower bound for the set {f(x): x in X} for all y; it follows that g(y)≤inf{f(x):x in X} for all y. Then, since g(y)≤inf{f(x):x in X}, inf{f(x):x in X} is an upper bound for the set {g(y): y in Y} ... the rest is history! :)

Sounds ok to me.

1. What does "Sup g(y) ≤ Inf f(x)" mean?

"Sup g(y) ≤ Inf f(x)" is a statement in mathematics that means the supremum (or smallest upper bound) of the function g(y) is less than or equal to the infimum (or greatest lower bound) of the function f(x).

2. Why is it important to prove Sup g(y) ≤ Inf f(x)?

Proving Sup g(y) ≤ Inf f(x) is important because it helps establish a relationship between two functions and their extremal values. This relationship can provide insight into the behavior and properties of the functions and can be used to solve a variety of mathematical problems.

3. How can I prove Sup g(y) ≤ Inf f(x)?

There are several ways to prove Sup g(y) ≤ Inf f(x), depending on the specific functions involved. One common method is to use the definition of supremum and infimum and show that the supremum of g(y) is always less than or equal to the infimum of f(x). Another approach is to use mathematical inequalities and properties of functions to manipulate the expressions and arrive at the desired result.

4. Can Sup g(y) ever be greater than Inf f(x)?

Yes, it is possible for Sup g(y) to be greater than Inf f(x). This would mean that the supremum of g(y) is larger than the infimum of f(x), indicating a lack of a relationship between the two functions. In such cases, the statement Sup g(y) ≤ Inf f(x) would be false.

5. What are some real-life applications of proving Sup g(y) ≤ Inf f(x)?

The concept of Sup g(y) ≤ Inf f(x) has numerous applications in various fields, including economics, engineering, and physics. For example, it can be used to analyze and optimize production processes, to determine optimal resource allocation, and to model physical systems with varying inputs and outputs.