Proving that a function can't take exactly same value twice

In summary: a and x > b), and then show that in both cases, the function takes on more than two values, a contradiction.
Alpharup

Homework Statement

Prove that there does not exist a continuous function f, defined on R which takes on every value exactly twice.

Homework Equations

It uses this property:
1... If f is continuous on [a,b], then there exists some y in [a,b], such that f(y)≥f(x), for all x in [a,b]

The Attempt at a Solution

This problem was taken from Spivak-calculus.
He did give a hint in the problem: He asks us to consider f(a) for some 'a' in R. By definition, the function takes the same value at some b in R. So, f(b)=f(a).
I am considering the case when x is in [a,b] and f(x)≥f(a). For all other x excluding this interval, f(x)<f(a)
f is continuous on R, which means that it must be continuous on [a,b]. By using the above property,,there exists some y in [a,b], such that f(y)≥f(x), for all x in [a,b]. But by definition of f, there is a y1 in [a,b] such that f(y)=f(y1). Here y1<y or y1>y...let us denote set D=[y,y1] or [y1,y] depending on which is greater(either y or y1). Here, let D=[y,y1]
Let us consider D. f, is continuous on D. so, there exists an k in D such that f(k)≤f(m) for all m in D.
There exists no h in D such that f(h)=f(y). Orelse, the function takes three values...a clear contradiction.
But k is in [a,b], so this means that f(k)≥f(a). But clearly f(k) is not equal to f(a).
So, f(k)>f(a) but less than f(y).
since f(y)>f(k)>f(a) and f is continuous on [a,y], there exists some p in [a,y] such that f(p)=f(k)'
Also in [y1,b], we have f(y1)>f(k)>f(b) and f is continuous. so there exists z in [y1,b] such that f(z)=f(k1)
We have three points(z,p,k) where the value of the function is same, a contradiction to the assumption of our f. Hence, there exists no f which takes the same value twice in R. Hence proof. Is my proof right?

Physics news on Phys.org
Alpharup said:

Homework Statement

Prove that there does not exist a continuous function f, defined on R which takes on every value exactly twice.

Homework Equations

It uses this property:
1... If f is continuous on [a,b], then there exists some y in [a,b], such that f(y)≥f(x), for all x in [a,b]

The Attempt at a Solution

This problem was taken from Spivak-calculus.
He did give a hint in the problem: He asks us to consider f(a) for some 'a' in R. By definition, the function takes the same value at some b in R. So, f(b)=f(a).
I am considering the case when x is in [a,b] and f(x)≥f(a). For all other x excluding this interval, f(x)<f(a)
f is continuous on R, which means that it must be continuous on [a,b]. By using the above property,,there exists some y in [a,b], such that f(y)≥f(x), for all x in [a,b]. But by definition of f, there is a y1 in [a,b] such that f(y)=f(y1).

That doesn't seem right. You have that [itex]f(a) = f(b)[/itex]. So somewhere between [itex]a[/itex] and [itex]b[/itex], the function has its maximum value for that interval. So you're assuming that that is at the point [itex]y[/itex]. So [itex]a \leq x \leq b \Rightarrow f(x) \leq f(y)[/itex]. Now, you say:

"...by definition of [itex]f[/itex], there is a [itex]y_1[/itex] in [itex][a,b][/itex] such that [itex]f(y) = f(y_1)[/itex]"

That's not right. All you know is that there is some [itex]y_1[/itex] such that [itex]f(y) = f(y_1)[/itex]. You don't know that [itex]y_1[/itex] is in the interval [itex][a,b][/itex]

Likes Alpharup
stevendaryl said:
That's not right. All you know is that there is some [itex]y_1[/itex] such that [itex]f(y) = f(y_1)[/itex]. You don't know that [itex]y_1[/itex] is in the interval [itex][a,b][/itex]
We have taken f such that
f <f(a), for all x<a and x >b.
So, y1 should lie this interval, if my assumption is not wrong.

Alpharup said:
We have taken f such that
f <f(a), for all x<a and x >b.
So, y1 should lie this interval, if my assumption is not wrong.

Oh. I thought the only thing you were assuming was that [itex]f(a) = f(b)[/itex]. How do you know you can assume that [itex]f(x) < f(a)[/itex] for [itex]x < a[/itex]?

Let f(x)≥f(a) for x<a and x>b,
Consider the case when x<a. There is a point j present such that j<a,
The function f is contiunous at [j,a].
Here f(x)≥f(a), for all x in [j,a]
Thus the minimum value of f in this interval is f(a).
By definition of f, again there is f(b)=f(a) for some b.
for the interval [a,b], again f has some x in [a.b] such that f(x)≥f(a).
Considering the case x<b, we can easily prove that f takes 4 values for some points x in R. Hence a contradiction.

Alpharup said:
Let f(x)≥f(a) for x<a and x>b

But why can you assume that?

I'm not saying you're wrong, only that you're missing a step in the reasoning.

Here's the step that you're missing (or it seems that way to me): If you look at a graph of [itex]f(x)[/itex] versus [itex]x[/itex], and draw a horizontal line through the point [itex]x=a, y=f(a)[/itex], you know that the graph can only cross that line twice, at [itex]x=a[/itex] and [itex]x=b[/itex]. That means that the graph never crosses the line in the region [itex]x < a[/itex]. So that means either
  1. [itex]f(x) > f(a)[/itex] throughout the whole region, or
  2. [itex]f(x) < f(a)[/itex] throughout the whole region.
(You can reason similarly for the region [itex]x > b[/itex]).

So you can do a case split between the two possibilities for [itex]x < a[/itex].

Likes Alpharup
Yeah, this broader intuition is more comprehendable.

Is the proof right?

Alpharup said:
Is the proof right?

I think that under your assumption that [itex]f(x) < f(a)[/itex] in the regions [itex]x < a[/itex] and [itex]x > b[/itex], your proof is correct, but you need to prove it without making that assumption.

So, is there any way of proving it?

Alpharup said:
So, is there any way of proving it?

You sort of have the right idea. But first you have to consider the possibilities outside the range [itex][a,b][/itex].

You can show that
  1. either [itex]f(x) < f(a)[/itex], for all [itex]x < a[/itex], or [itex]f(x) > f(a)[/itex], for all [itex]x < a[/itex]
  2. either [itex]f(x) < f(a)[/itex], for all [itex]x > b[/itex], or [itex]f(x) > f(a)[/itex], for all [itex]x > b[/itex].
So there are 4 cases:
  1. [itex]f(x) < f(a)[/itex] for all [itex]x < a[/itex], and [itex]f(x) < f(a)[/itex] for all [itex]x > b[/itex]
  2. [itex]f(x) < f(a)[/itex] for all [itex]x < a[/itex], and [itex]f(x) > f(a)[/itex] for all [itex]x > b[/itex]
  3. [itex]f(x) > f(a)[/itex] for all [itex]x < a[/itex], and [itex]f(x) < f(a)[/itex] for all [itex]x > b[/itex]
  4. [itex]f(x) > f(a)[/itex] for all [itex]x < a[/itex], and [itex]f(x) > f(a)[/itex] for all [itex]x > b[/itex]
So you have to show that each of these leads to a contradiction. You have a proof of case 1, but you have 3 other cases.

Likes Alpharup
Now I get it. You want me to consider all the possible cases. Thank you.

Alpharup said:
Now I get it. You want me to consider all the possible cases. Thank you.

Choosing ##a, b## such that ##f(a) = f(b)## was a good start. I would then have drawn a graph and used the logic of what sort of graph you can and can't draw to guide your proof.

Likes Alpharup

What is the definition of a function?

A function is a mathematical rule that relates one set of values, called the input, to another set of values, called the output. Each input value has exactly one corresponding output value.

Why is it important to prove that a function can't take exactly the same value twice?

Proving that a function can't take exactly the same value twice is important because it ensures that the function is well-defined and follows the rules of a mathematical function. If a function were to take the same value twice, it would violate the definition of a function and could lead to incorrect or inconsistent results.

How can you prove that a function can't take exactly the same value twice?

One way to prove that a function can't take exactly the same value twice is to show that the function is one-to-one, meaning that each input value has a unique corresponding output value. This can be done through various methods such as using the horizontal line test or finding the inverse of the function.

What are some examples of functions that can't take exactly the same value twice?

Linear functions, quadratic functions, and exponential functions are all examples of functions that can't take exactly the same value twice. This is because each input value has a unique corresponding output value, and there are no repeating values in the output.

What happens if a function does take exactly the same value twice?

If a function does take exactly the same value twice, it is not considered a function. This can lead to errors in calculations and make it difficult to analyze the function or use it in real-world applications. In some cases, it may be possible to modify the function to make it one-to-one, but in other cases, a different approach or function may be needed to achieve the desired results.