Proving the Exponent Laws in Group Theory

In summary: Yes, the definition of \ x^n\ is \ x^n = \underbrace{x \cdot x \cdot ... \cdot x}_{n-terms}xn= x⏟n−terms1​ .You're right that you don't need induction to prove ##\ x^{a+b}\ =\ x^a x^b\ ##. It was never my intention to say that you did. I thought you were trying to prove ##\ x^{a+b}\ =\ x^a x^b\ ## by induction on both a and b at the same time (The way you have it, you're using the induction on b inside
Bashyboy

Homework Statement

Let ##x \in G## and ##a,b \in \mathbb{Z}^+## Prove that ##x^{a+b} = x^a x^b##.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

If I am not mistaken, we would have to do multiple induction on ##a## and ##b## for the statement/proposition ##P(a,b) : x^{a+b} = x^a x^b##. First we would have to show that ##P(a,1)## and ##P(1,b)## are true (base cases). But due to symmetry, it suffices to prove ##P(a,1): x^{a+1} = x^a x##. This is where I had trouble; I thought I would have to do induction on the statement on the statement ##P(a,1)##.

After trying many things, I decided to consult this https://crazyproject.wordpress.com/2010/01/04/laws-of-exponents-in-a-group/ This person appears to be doing the same as myself. But I found it unsettling that no justification was given for ##x^{a+1} = x^a x## (the base case); what is written is this: "For the base case, note that
latex.png
for all
latex.png
."

The only way I could think of justifying it is as follows:

##x^{a+1} = \underbrace{x \cdot x \cdot ... \cdot x}_{(a+1)~terms}##

##= \underbrace{(x \cdot x \cdot ... \cdot x)}_{a ~terms} x## (associative property)

##= x^a x## (by definition of what ##x^a## means)But if we can do that, then why not do similar splitting with ##a^{a+b}## , thereby avoiding all induction?

Physics news on Phys.org
Define G

Dummit and Foote doesn't specify, but I imagine they are regarding it as a group.

Bashyboy said:

Homework Statement

Let ##x \in G## and ##a,b \in \mathbb{Z}^+## Prove that ##x^{a+b} = x^a x^b##.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

If I am not mistaken, we would have to do multiple induction on ##a## and ##b## for the statement/proposition ##P(a,b) : x^{a+b} = x^a x^b##. First we would have to show that ##P(a,1)## and ##P(1,b)## are true (base cases). But due to symmetry, it suffices to prove ##P(a,1): x^{a+1} = x^a x##. This is where I had trouble; I thought I would have to do induction on the statement on the statement ##P(a,1)##.
I don't see the symmetry off hand, unless you have an "extended" associative property. (I suppose that's always implied.)
At any rate, it looks like induction on b is all that's required.
After trying many things, I decided to consult this https://crazyproject.wordpress.com/2010/01/04/laws-of-exponents-in-a-group/ This person appears to be doing the same as myself. But I found it unsettling that no justification was given for ##x^{a+1} = x^a x## (the base case); what is written is this: "For the base case, note that
latex.png
for all
latex.png
."
It looks like they just sketched the proof, leaving the reader to fill in some things they thought to be obvious, or at least fairly straight forward.
The only way I could think of justifying it is as follows:

##x^{a+1} = \underbrace{x \cdot x \cdot ... \cdot x}_{(a+1)~terms}##

##= \underbrace{(x \cdot x \cdot ... \cdot x)}_{a ~terms} x## (associative property)
That shouldn't even require associativeity if normal order of operations is left to right.
##x^{a+1}= \underbrace{\left(\dots\left(\left(\left(x \cdot x \right)\cdot x\right)\cdot x\right) ... \cdot x\right)}_{a ~\text{factors}} \cdot x##​
##= x^a x## (by definition of what ##x^a## means)

But if we can do that, then why not do similar splitting with ##a^{a+b}## , thereby avoiding all induction?
(Surely you mean ##\ x^{a+b}\ ## in the above line.)

Induction isn't that difficult for this.

Assume that ##\ x^{a+n} = x^a x^n\ ## for some n ≥ 1. From that show that ##\ x^{a+(n+1)} = x^a x^{n+1}\ ## follows.

SammyS said:
That shouldn't even require associativeity if normal order of operations is left to right.
xa+1=(…(((x⋅x)⋅x)⋅x)...⋅x)a factors⋅xxa+1=(…(((x⋅x)⋅x)⋅x)...⋅x)⏟a factors⋅xx^{a+1}= \underbrace{\left(\dots\left(\left(\left(x \cdot x \right)\cdot x\right)\cdot x\right) ... \cdot x\right)}_{a ~\text{factors}} \cdot x

So, are you saying that this is a valid way of establishing ##x^{a+1} = x^a x##? If so, then why can't I do the following:

##x^{a+b} = \underbrace{x \cdot x \cdot ... \cdot x}_{(a+b)-terms}##

##= \underbrace{x \cdot x \cdot ... \cdot x}_{a~terms} \cdot \underbrace{x \cdot x \cdot ... \cdot x}_{b~terms}###

##=x^a x^b##,

thereby avoiding induction.

Bashyboy said:
So, are you saying that this is a valid way of establishing ##x^{a+1} = x^a x##? If so, then why can't I do the following:

##x^{a+b} = \underbrace{x \cdot x \cdot ... \cdot x}_{(a+b)-terms}##

##= \underbrace{x \cdot x \cdot ... \cdot x}_{a~terms} \cdot \underbrace{x \cdot x \cdot ... \cdot x}_{b~terms}###

##=x^a x^b##,

thereby avoiding induction.
I'm not saying you can or you can't do that.

It's partly a matter of what you have previously proved and what you have not proved.

Doing the inductive proof doesn't require you to assume much of anything.

Do you understand inductive proof ?

I am still wondering about the justification of the base case ##x^{a+1} = x^a x##.

Bashyboy said:
I am still wondering about the justification of the base case ##x^{a+1} = x^a x##.
I probably should have restated that it's not the associative law. It's basically just the definition of what is meant by ##\ x^n\,,\ ## perhaps along with the standard order of operations being left to right.

And we agree that the definition of ##x^n## is ##x^n = \underbrace{x \cdot x \cdot ... \cdot x}_{n-terms}##? If so, then for ##n=a+b##

##x^{a+b} = \underbrace{x \cdot x \cdot x ... \cdot x}_{(a+b)-terms}##

##= \underbrace{x \cdot x \cdot ... \cdot x}_{a} \cdot \underbrace{x \cdot x \cdot ... \cdot x}_{b}##.

##=x^a x^b##.

which is my problem. There is some subtle logic that is preventing me from seeing the need of any induction, as well as how we justify ##x^{a+1} = x^a x##.

Last edited:
The subtlety may be that you have to prove the generalized associative property. You know (ab)c = a(bc), but what about when you have more than three elements?

Yes, we do have the generalized associative property; this is proved in the chapter before this problem.

I just ran across a proof. In that class, ##a^n = a^{n-1}a## held by definition (along with ##a^0 = e## and ##a^{-n} = (a^{-1})^n##) for ##n \ge 1##.

Where did you find this? In my Dummit and Foote book, the only thing that holds by definition is ##a^0 = e##.

In notes for an abstract algebra class. You probably have some way to define what ##x^n## means other than the phrase "multiply ##x## together ##n## times."

I found a copy of your book online, and it appears it is defined by that phrase. In that case, I think your non-inductive proof is fine.

On the other hand, if ##x^n## is defined as ##x^{n-1}x## with ##x^0=e##, then I can see where you'd want to prove the law by induction.

1. What is a group in Group Theory?

A group is a mathematical concept that consists of a set of elements and a binary operation that combines two elements to produce a third element. The operation follows certain rules, such as associativity, identity, and inverse, and the set must be closed under the operation. Groups are used to study symmetries and structures in mathematics.

2. What are the exponent laws in Group Theory?

The exponent laws in Group Theory are the rules that govern the manipulation of exponents within a group. These laws include the product law (a^m * a^n = a^(m+n)), the power law ((a^m)^n = a^(mn)), and the quotient law ((a^m)/(a^n) = a^(m-n)). These laws allow for simplifying expressions and solving equations within a group.

3. How are exponent laws applied in Group Theory?

Exponent laws are applied in Group Theory by using them to manipulate and simplify expressions involving exponents. This allows for solving equations and proving theorems within a group. Exponent laws are also used to define and understand different properties of groups, such as cyclic groups and subgroups.

4. Are there any exceptions to the exponent laws in Group Theory?

Yes, there are exceptions to the exponent laws in Group Theory. One exception is when the group is non-abelian, meaning the operation is not commutative. In this case, the product law becomes (a^m * a^n = a^(mn) * (a^(m-n))^2). Another exception is when the group is infinite, meaning it has an infinite number of elements. In this case, the power law does not hold, and exponentiation must be defined differently.

5. Why are exponent laws important in Group Theory?

Exponent laws are important in Group Theory because they allow for the simplification of expressions and the solving of equations. They also help define and understand different properties of groups, such as the order of a group and the subgroups within a group. Exponent laws are fundamental to the study of group structures and are essential for solving problems and proving theorems in Group Theory.