Proving trigonometry identities

In summary, there may be multiple ways to prove the identity, including using the formulas for cosine and sine. However, it is important to be careful with the signs and remember that ##\sin^2(x) + \cos^2(x) = 1## for all x. Additionally, the difference of two squares can also be used.
chwala
Gold Member
Homework Statement
see attached
Relevant Equations
trigonometry concept
I was just looking at the problem below: there may be several ways to prove the identity:

question:
1626491496310.png

Mark scheme solution:

1626491538005.png

My take:
we may also use ##sin^{2}x+cos^{2}x≡(sin x+ cos x)(sin x-cosx)##...
we end up with(##\frac 2 {\sqrt{2}}##cos ∅)(##\frac 2 {\sqrt{2}}##sin ∅)=##2 sin ∅ cos ∅ ##= ##sin 2∅##

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
The formula
[tex]cos(\alpha+\beta)=\cos\alpha cos\beta - \sin \alpha \sin \beta[/tex]
is helpful.

anuttarasammyak said:
The formula
[tex]cos(\alpha+\beta)=\cos\alpha cos\beta - \sin \alpha \sin \beta[/tex]
is helpful.
True, that's what I used...together with the one for sine...

chwala said:
My take:
we may also use ##sin^{2}x+cos^{2}x≡(sin x+ cos x)(sin x-cosx)##...
No, that's incorrect.
##\sin^2(x) + \cos^2(x) = 1##, for all x.
If you meant ##\sin^2(x) - \cos^2{x}##, that that does factor as you show above.
chwala said:
we end up with(##\frac 2 {\sqrt{2}}##cos ∅)(##\frac 2 {\sqrt{2}}##sin ∅)=##2 sin ∅ cos ∅ ##= ##sin 2∅##

Mark44 said:
No, that's incorrect.
##\sin^2(x) + \cos^2(x) = 1##, for all x.
If you meant ##\sin^2(x) - \cos^2{x}##, that that does factor as you show above.
yeah, true...i made a slight mistake there...it should be the difference of two squares, thanks mark...i.e
##[sin(∅+45)+cos(∅+45)]⋅[sin(∅+45)-cos(∅+45)]##
##[(sin ∅cos 45+cos ∅sin 45)+(cos ∅cos 45-sin ∅sin 45)]⋅
[(sin ∅cos 45+cos ∅sin 45)-(cos ∅cos 45-sin ∅sin 45)]##
thanks Mark cheers.

What is the purpose of proving trigonometry identities?

The purpose of proving trigonometry identities is to show that two expressions involving trigonometric functions are equivalent. This can help simplify complex expressions and solve equations involving trigonometric functions.

What are the basic trigonometric identities?

The basic trigonometric identities include the Pythagorean identities, sum and difference identities, double angle identities, half angle identities, and reciprocal identities. These identities are used to prove more complex identities.

How do you prove a trigonometry identity?

To prove a trigonometry identity, you must manipulate one side of the equation using algebraic and trigonometric properties until it is equivalent to the other side. This can involve using the basic trigonometric identities, as well as other algebraic techniques.

What is the importance of proving trigonometry identities in real-world applications?

Proving trigonometry identities is important in real-world applications because it allows us to accurately model and solve problems involving angles and distances. This is particularly useful in fields such as engineering, physics, and astronomy.

What are some common mistakes when proving trigonometry identities?

Some common mistakes when proving trigonometry identities include not using the correct identities, making algebraic errors, and not simplifying the expressions enough. It is important to carefully check each step and make sure both sides of the equation are equivalent.