Proving x ∉ (x,y)^n for any n ∈ N in F[x,y] Field

• Thread starter Bashyboy
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Prime
In summary, the conversation is about a problem involving a field F and the subset (x,y)^n. The problem is to show that x is not an element of (x,y)^n for any n in the natural numbers. The attempt at a solution involves using the definition of (x,y)^n and a ring homomorphism, but the person is struggling to make progress. The conversation also discusses the concept of an element not being an ideal and stipulates that n must be greater than or equal to 2. The final suggestion is to try showing that all elements of (x,y)^n have a degree greater than or equal to n.
Bashyboy

Homework Statement

Consider ##F[x,y]##, where ##F## is some field. I've been working on a problem all day and I'm having trouble with this last step. I am trying to show that ##x \notin(x,y)^n## for any ##n \in \Bbb{N}##.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Note that ##(x,y)^n = [(x)+(y)]^n = \sum_{i=0}^n (x)^i y^{n-i}##. I tried working with this, but I couldn't get anywhere. I could really use a hint; I don't want to have this become a problem that takes two days...

Physics news on Phys.org
I don't get it. Why isn't ##x \in (x) \subseteq (x,y) = (x,y)^1## as I can write it ##x=x^1+0\,##?
What does it mean an element is not an ideal?

fresh_42 said:
I don't get it. Why isn't ##x \in (x) \subseteq (x,y) = (x,y)^1## as I can write it ##x=x^1+0\,##?
What does it mean an element is not an ideal?

Sorry, I forgot to mention to stipulate that ##n \ge 2##.

Then under the assumption ##x \in (x,y)^n## for an ##n>1## we can write ##x= \sum_{n_i+m_i > 1} f_ix^{n_i}y^{m_i} ## with ##f_i \in \mathbf{F}\; , \;f_i = 0## almost all. Now the substitution ##y=1## is a ring homomorphism and we get a representation ##x \in \mathbf{F}[x]##.

try showing all elements of (x,y)^n have degree ≥ n.

What are prime ideals?

Prime ideals are special types of ideals in ring theory, which are algebraic structures used to study algebraic equations and number systems. A prime ideal is an ideal that cannot be expressed as the intersection of two larger ideals.

How are prime ideals related to prime numbers?

Prime ideals are named after prime numbers because they share similar properties. Just like how a prime number cannot be factored into smaller numbers, a prime ideal cannot be expressed as the intersection of two larger ideals. In other words, just as a prime number is irreducible, a prime ideal is also irreducible.

What are the powers of prime ideals?

The powers of prime ideals refer to the different levels or degrees of the prime ideal. The first power of a prime ideal is the ideal itself, and each subsequent power is the ideal multiplied by itself. For example, the second power of a prime ideal is the ideal multiplied by itself twice.

What is the significance of powers of prime ideals?

The powers of prime ideals are important in ring theory because they help determine the structure and properties of a ring. The number of powers a prime ideal has is related to the dimension of the ring, and the powers can also be used to define and classify different types of rings.

How are powers of prime ideals used in practical applications?

Powers of prime ideals have various applications in mathematics and other fields. In algebraic geometry, they are used to study algebraic curves and surfaces. In coding theory, they are used to construct error-correcting codes. In number theory, they are used to prove theorems and solve equations. Overall, powers of prime ideals are a fundamental concept in mathematics and have many practical uses.