Proximity Sensors in Metal Detector gate

I am looking forIn summary, the person is looking to use an inductive proximity sensor for a metal detector gate, but is facing an issue with its range being under 50mm. They are asking if there is a way to increase the range or if there are alternate sensors or methods for detecting metal. They also clarify that they are looking for a walk-through metal detector.
faraznizamani
I want to use an "inductive proximity sensor" for metal detector gate, but the problem is its range is (generally) under 50mm (2 inches), is there any way I can increase its range?
or is there any alternate sensor or way to detect the metal ?

Thank you.

Faraz Nizamani

Engineering news on Phys.org
faraznizamani said:
I want to use an "inductive proximity sensor" for metal detector gate, but the problem is its range is (generally) under 50mm (2 inches), is there any way I can increase its range?
or is there any alternate sensor or way to detect the metal ?

Thank you.

Faraz Nizamani

Do you mean a walk-through metal detector, like those used at courthouses and airports?

http://science.howstuffworks.com/airport-security3.htm

Do you mean an inductive sensor to tell when a vehicle is overhead? They sale those to apartment complexes and for traffic light controllers.

@berkeman: Yes .. a walk-through metal detector

1. What is a proximity sensor in a metal detector gate?

A proximity sensor in a metal detector gate is a type of sensor that is used to detect the presence of metal objects in close proximity to it. It works by emitting an electromagnetic field and measuring changes in that field caused by nearby metal objects.

2. How does a proximity sensor work in a metal detector gate?

A proximity sensor in a metal detector gate typically consists of an oscillator circuit, a coil, and a detection circuit. The oscillator circuit produces an electromagnetic field, while the coil acts as a receiver for any changes in that field caused by nearby metal objects. The detection circuit then interprets these changes and triggers an alarm if a metal object is detected.

3. What types of metals can a proximity sensor detect in a metal detector gate?

A proximity sensor in a metal detector gate can detect a wide range of metals, including ferrous and non-ferrous metals. This includes common metals such as iron, steel, aluminum, copper, and gold.

4. Can a proximity sensor in a metal detector gate differentiate between different types of metal?

Yes, a proximity sensor in a metal detector gate can differentiate between different types of metal based on their electrical and magnetic properties. This allows for more precise detection and discrimination between different types of metal objects.

5. Are proximity sensors in metal detector gates accurate?

Proximity sensors in metal detector gates are highly accurate and reliable. They are designed to detect even small metal objects and can be calibrated to adjust their sensitivity based on the specific needs of the application.