Push notifications for alerts that have already been read

• Bug
  • Thread starter Wrichik Basu
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses the issue of receiving duplicate push notifications on a laptop even after reading them on a mobile device. The person is unsure if this is a bug or a feature and suggests the site should be configured to prevent receiving notifications for already read alerts.
Wrichik Basu
Science Advisor
Insights Author
Gold Member
I have push notifications enabled in my laptop. Now say I visit the site from my phone, and read some alerts. But when I turn on my laptop, I still get notifications for all the alerts, including the ones that I have already read.

I don't know if this is a bug or a feature. Throughout the day, if I receive a total of 10 or 15 alerts, and I read them all from my phone, at the end of the day when I switch on my laptop, I am still flooded with notifications for all those read alerts.

Could the site be configured such that I will not receive notifications for the alerts that I have already read?

Physics news on Phys.org
They are sent at the same time. Windows can't store them and then be checking back to the site to see if you've read them by the time you get to the laptop.

• Informative
Likes phinds

1. What are push notifications for alerts that have already been read?

Push notifications for alerts that have already been read refer to notifications that are sent to a user's device even after they have already viewed the alert. These notifications serve as reminders or updates for important information that the user may need to be aware of.

2. How do push notifications for alerts that have already been read work?

Push notifications for alerts that have already been read work by utilizing a push notification service, such as Firebase Cloud Messaging or Apple Push Notification Service. The service sends a notification to the user's device, even if the app is not currently open, based on certain triggers or events set by the app developer.

3. Why are push notifications for alerts that have already been read important?

Push notifications for alerts that have already been read are important because they help to ensure that important information is not missed or forgotten. They serve as a reminder or update for the user, keeping them informed and engaged with the app.

4. Can push notifications for alerts that have already been read be customized?

Yes, push notifications for alerts that have already been read can be customized. App developers can choose the content, timing, and frequency of these notifications to best suit their app and their users' needs. They can also be personalized for each individual user based on their preferences or behavior within the app.

5. Are there any concerns or drawbacks to using push notifications for alerts that have already been read?

One concern with push notifications for alerts that have already been read is the potential for them to be seen as intrusive or annoying by users. It is important for app developers to carefully consider the content and frequency of these notifications to avoid overwhelming their users. Additionally, users may need to adjust their device settings to allow for these notifications, which could be seen as a barrier to their use.