QFT for the Gifted Amateur Exercise 17.1

In summary, in exercise 17.1, we are asked to show that the propagator is the same as the time evolution operators acting on the ground state. This allows us to take the time dependence out of the creation and annihilation operators. Rewriting, we arrive at the correct energy term. The (3) in the 3-dimensional Dirac delta is just a shorthand. The product of creation and annihilation operators gives a nonzero contribution only when p=q, which is what the delta function represents. The last step is to calculate the product in terms of a commutator and a product, which gives a three-dimensional delta function.
43arcsec
43arcsec said:
In exercise 17.1 we are asked to show that the propagator:

$$G^+_o(p,t_x,q,t_y)=\theta(t_x-t_y)<0|\hat{a}_p(t_x)\hat{a}^\dagger_q(t_y)|0>$$ is the same as

$$\theta(t_x-t_y)e^{-i(E_pt_x-E_qt_y)}\delta^{(3)}(p-q)$$

so we can take the time dependence out of the creation and annihilation operators by using the time evolution operators giving us

$$\theta(t_x-t_y)<0|e^{iHt_x}\hat{a}_pe^{-iH(t_x-t_y)}\hat{a}^\dagger_q e^{-iHt_y}|0>$$

If I have this right, then the rightmost Hamiltonian acts on the ground state |0> to produce $$e^{-iE_gt_y}$$
The middle Hamiltonian acts on the ground state with a particle of momentum q added at times tx and ty to produce $$e^{-i(E_g+E_q)t_x-i(E_g+E_q)t_y}$$
The leftmost Hamiltonian acts on the ground state, the particle of momentum q and an annihilated particle p (which turns the energy negative?) at time tx producing $$e^{-i(E_g+E_q-E_q)t_x}$$
Putting this all together we arrive at the correct energy term $$e^{-i(E_pt_x-E_qt_y)}$$

Rewriting, $$G^+_o(p,t_x,q,t_y)=\theta(t_x-t_y)e^{-i(E_pt_x-E_qt_y)}<0|\hat{a}_p\hat{a}^\dagger_q|0>$$
So I am left with the questions:

1)what justifies the creation and annihilation operators combining to give the $$\delta^{(3)}(p-q)$$
2) where does the 3 come from on the $$\delta^{(3)}$$

2) The (3) is just a shorthand for the 3-dimensional Dirac delta, ## δ(p_x - q_x) δ(p_y - q_y) δ(p_z - q_z) ##.

1) My knowledge here is rather shaky, but since no one has answered you, I'll give it a shot. Think of a superposition of 2 sine functions with frequencies p and q. For p≠q, they interfere constructively and destructively, so that the integral over all the reals vanishes. For p=q, they interfere constructively everywhere, giving a nonzero contribution. The time dependent ladder operators here do the same: their product vanishes for p≠q, leaving only the contribution for p=q, which is just what δ means.

So I suppose you'd have to replace the operators by the δ before you take out the time dependence, but at that point I'm lost as well.

Hope that helps.

You still need to do the last step, right? You need to calculate [tex] \langle 0 | a_p a^\dagger_q |0 \rangle [/tex] To calculate this, you need to express it in terms of a commutator and a product [itex] \langle 0 | a^\dagger_q a_p |0 \rangle [/itex] which gives zero. The commutator piece will give you the three-dimensional delta function.

1. What is "QFT for the Gifted Amateur Exercise 17.1"?

"QFT for the Gifted Amateur Exercise 17.1" is a specific exercise from the book "QFT for the Gifted Amateur" by physicists Tom Lancaster and Stephen J. Blundell. It is designed to help individuals with a strong background in physics understand the concepts of quantum field theory.

2. Who is the target audience for this exercise?

The target audience for "QFT for the Gifted Amateur Exercise 17.1" is individuals with a strong background in physics, specifically those who are interested in learning about quantum field theory. It is not recommended for beginners or those without a solid understanding of basic physics principles.

3. Do I need any specific materials to complete this exercise?

Yes, you will need a copy of the book "QFT for the Gifted Amateur" and access to a computer with mathematical software such as Mathematica or MATLAB. You will also need a pen and paper for calculations and note-taking.

4. How long does it typically take to complete this exercise?

The time it takes to complete "QFT for the Gifted Amateur Exercise 17.1" will vary depending on the individual's level of understanding and familiarity with the concepts of quantum field theory. It may take a few hours to a few days to fully work through and understand the exercise.

5. Are there any prerequisites for this exercise?

Yes, it is recommended that individuals have a strong understanding of basic physics principles, including classical mechanics, electromagnetism, and quantum mechanics. Some familiarity with the concepts of quantum field theory would also be beneficial.