QFT for the Gifted Amateur Question (3)

In summary, the conversation discusses the proof that the propagator, given by $$G^+_o(p,t_x,q,t_y)=\theta(t_x-t_y)<0|\hat{a}_p(t_x)\hat{a}^\dagger_q(t_y)|0>$$, is equivalent to $$\theta(t_x-t_y)e^{-i(E_pt_x-E_qt_y)}\delta^{(3)}(p-q)$$ by using time evolution operators to remove the time dependence from the creation and annihilation operators. The conversation also raises questions about the justification for the combination of creation and annihilation operators and the origin of the 3 in the delta function. The answer to these questions can be found by using the
43arcsec
In exercise 17.1 we are asked to show that the propagator:

$$G^+_o(p,t_x,q,t_y)=\theta(t_x-t_y)<0|\hat{a}_p(t_x)\hat{a}^\dagger_q(t_y)|0>$$ is the same as

$$\theta(t_x-t_y)e^{-i(E_pt_x-E_qt_y)}\delta^{(3)}(p-q)$$

so we can take the time dependence out of the creation and annihilation operators by using the time evolution operators giving us

$$\theta(t_x-t_y)<0|e^{iHt_x}\hat{a}_pe^{-iH(t_x-t_y)}\hat{a}^\dagger_q e^{-iHt_y}|0>$$

If I have this right, then the rightmost Hamiltonian acts on the ground state |0> to produce $$e^{-iE_gt_y}$$
The middle Hamiltonian acts on the ground state with a particle of momentum q added at times tx and ty to produce $$e^{-i(E_g+E_q)t_x-i(E_g+E_q)t_y}$$
The leftmost Hamiltonian acts on the ground state, the particle of momentum q and an annihilated particle p (which turns the energy negative?) at time tx producing $$e^{-i(E_g+E_q-E_q)t_x}$$
Putting this all together we arrive at the correct energy term $$e^{-i(E_pt_x-E_qt_y)}$$

Rewriting, $$G^+_o(p,t_x,q,t_y)=\theta(t_x-t_y)e^{-i(E_pt_x-E_qt_y)}<0|\hat{a}_p\hat{a}^\dagger_q|0>$$
So I am left with the questions:

1)what justifies the creation and annihilation operators combining to give the $$\delta^{(3)}(p-q)$$
2) where does the 3 come from on the $$\delta^{(3)}$$

Physics news on Phys.org
I'd use the fact that ##\hat{H}|0 \rangle=|0 \rangle##, then that ##\hat{a}_q^{\dagger}|0 \rangle## is a eigenstates of the Hamiltonian with eigenvalue ##E_{\vec{q}}=\sqrt{m^2+\vec{q}^2}## etc. etc. This should step by step lead to the equation you want to proof.

BTW: You should post that kind of questions to the homework forum! It doesn't help you, if we just present the solution. Hints for how to solve the problem youself is much better help (although less convenient for you ;-)).

Likes bhobba

1. What is QFT for the Gifted Amateur Question (3)?

QFT for the Gifted Amateur Question (3) is a question that is commonly asked in the field of quantum field theory (QFT). It is often used to test the understanding and knowledge of individuals who are interested in learning about this complex topic.

2. What is the purpose of QFT for the Gifted Amateur Question (3)?

The purpose of QFT for the Gifted Amateur Question (3) is to challenge individuals to think critically and deeply about the fundamental concepts of quantum field theory. It is also used as a teaching tool to help individuals develop a deeper understanding of the subject.

3. Is QFT for the Gifted Amateur Question (3) difficult to understand?

Yes, QFT for the Gifted Amateur Question (3) is a difficult question to understand, as it requires a strong foundation in mathematics and physics. It is often used as a way to test the knowledge and understanding of advanced students and researchers in the field of QFT.

4. How can I prepare for QFT for the Gifted Amateur Question (3)?

To prepare for QFT for the Gifted Amateur Question (3), it is important to have a solid understanding of the fundamental concepts of quantum field theory, including the mathematical framework and the physical principles involved. It may also be helpful to practice solving similar problems and working through complex equations.

5. Are there any resources available to help me understand QFT for the Gifted Amateur Question (3)?

Yes, there are many resources available to help individuals understand QFT for the Gifted Amateur Question (3). These may include textbooks, online courses, and educational websites. It may also be helpful to seek guidance from a mentor or knowledgeable instructor in the field.