Quadratic surfaces standard form help

In summary, the conversation discusses a quadratic equation in 3 variables representing a hyperboloid of one sheet. The equation is in standard form and has a cross section through z=0 that is a circle with a radius of 1. The cross section through x=1 is two straight lines given by y=±(1/2)z. The standard form for the equation is x^2+y^2-z^2/(1/2)^2=1 and the value of c is determined to be 1/2.
Mark53

Homework Statement

[/B]
Suppose a quadratic equation in 3 variables is put into a standard form represents a hyperboloid of one sheet. This hyperboloid has the property that:

• the cross section through z= 0 is a circle of radius 1;

• the cross section through x= 1 is the two straight lines given (in the plane x = 1) by y = ± (1/2) z

What is the standard form and the original equation in quadratic form?

Homework Equations

[/B]
hyperboloid of one sheet is given by

x^2/a^2+y^2/b^2-z^2/c^2=1

The Attempt at a Solution

[/B]
using z=0

x^2/a^2+y^2/b^2=1 which is an ellipse

Given that it is a circle it means that b=a which means that it equals 1 as that is what the radius is.

x^2+y^2-z^2/c^2=1

How would I find C from here

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Mark53 said:
How would I find C from here
Use the other piece of information:
Mark53 said:
the cross section through x= 1 is the two straight lines given (in the plane x = 1) by y = ± (1/2) z

haruspex said:
Use the other piece of information:
1+(1/4)z^2-z^2/c^2=1

(1/4)z^2-z^2/c^2=0

z^2((1/4)-c^2)=0

(1/4)-c^2)=0

c^2=1/4

c=1/2

therefore

x^2+y^2-z^2/(1/2)^2=1

Why not simplify 1/(1/2)^2 as 4?

Mark53 said:
##(1/4)z^2-z^2/c^2=0##

##z^2((1/4)-c^2)=0##
Check that step.

haruspex said:
Check that step.

that would mean that c=2

Mark53 said:
that would mean that c=2
Yes.

What is the standard form of a quadratic surface?

The standard form of a quadratic surface is Ax² + By² + Cz² + Dxy + Exz + Fyz + Gx + Hy + Iz + J = 0, where A, B, and C are the coefficients of the squared terms, D, E, and F are the coefficients of the mixed terms, and G, H, and I are the coefficients of the linear terms. J is a constant term.

How do I identify the type of a quadratic surface from its standard form?

The type of a quadratic surface can be identified by examining the coefficients in its standard form. A surface with A, B, and C all equal to 0 is a plane. A surface with A = B and C = 0 is a cylinder. A surface with A = B ≠ 0 and C = 0 is a cone. A surface with A ≠ B ≠ 0 and C = 0 is a hyperboloid of one sheet. A surface with A ≠ B ≠ 0 and C ≠ 0 is a hyperboloid of two sheets.

How can I graph a quadratic surface in standard form?

To graph a quadratic surface in standard form, you can use a 3D graphing calculator or software, or plot points by substituting values for x, y, and z and solving for the corresponding values of J. You can also use the coefficients to determine the shape and orientation of the surface and then sketch it by hand.

What is the significance of the coefficients in the standard form of a quadratic surface?

The coefficients in the standard form of a quadratic surface provide information about the shape, orientation, and location of the surface. A, B, and C determine the type of surface, while D, E, and F affect the orientation. G, H, and I determine the location of the surface in relation to the origin, and J affects the size and position of the surface.

How can I solve problems involving quadratic surfaces in standard form?

To solve problems involving quadratic surfaces in standard form, you can use algebraic methods such as substitution or elimination, or geometric methods such as finding points of intersection with other surfaces or lines. You can also use calculus to find the maximum or minimum values of a quadratic surface.