Quantum angular momentum proportionality constant

In summary, the conversation discusses a question about the application of the rising and lowering operators for angular momentum in introductory quantum physics. The answer is found by using commutation relations and understanding the normalization of state vectors in quantum mechanics. The conversation also touches on the importance of using the appropriate eigenvector for a given operator and the probabilistic interpretation of the inner product in quantum mechanics.
bartrocs
Hi, not a homework problem as such, but I am studying introductory quantum physics and having some trouble understanding how applying the rising or lowering operator for angular momentum implies:

L+/-|l,m> ∝ |l, m+/-1>
Basically, my question is the same as the first part (Q1) as described in the following link.
http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=2552515

Regarding the answer to that post, I can get to the two expressions quite easily by using the commutation relations, but even after reading it multiple times, I don't understand how the proportionality is implied. I know this is probably trivial and I'm probably just missing some obvious fact due to the time being 1.30am. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
Because the state ##L_{+/-} |l,m\rangle## is not necessarily normalized, while all ##|l,m\rangle## must be normalized.

blue_leaf77, thanks. It was one of those lack of sleep things. I just woke up and realized this. Also, mathematically speaking, there is an infinite amount of choices for our eigenvector based on a given eigenstate and scale factor. We must obviously use the one that fits our operator, ie it must be normalised.

bartrocs said:
We must obviously use the one that fits our operator, ie it must be normalised.
The vectors (including eigenvectors of an operator) in QM are agreed to be normalized because of the probabilistic interpretation assigned to the inner product between any two vectors. The probability of finding a given state to be in that same state must be equal to the maximum allowed value for a probability, which is unity.

okay thanks I understand my mistake and (hopefully) will not make it again :smile:

Related to Quantum angular momentum proportionality constant

What is the quantum angular momentum proportionality constant?

The quantum angular momentum proportionality constant, also known as the reduced Planck's constant, is a fundamental physical constant denoted by the symbol ℏ. It relates the angular momentum of a particle to its wavelength and is a crucial component in quantum mechanics.

What is the significance of the quantum angular momentum proportionality constant?

The quantum angular momentum proportionality constant plays a crucial role in the quantization of physical systems, including atoms, electrons, and photons. It is also used to calculate the allowed energy levels of these systems and their associated probabilities.

How is the quantum angular momentum proportionality constant derived?

The quantum angular momentum proportionality constant is derived from Planck's constant, which is a fundamental constant in quantum mechanics. It is calculated by taking the value of Planck's constant, h, and dividing it by 2π.

What is the numerical value of the quantum angular momentum proportionality constant?

The numerical value of the quantum angular momentum proportionality constant is approximately equal to 1.054571817 × 10^-34 joule-seconds or 6.62607015 × 10^-34 m^2kg/s. However, the exact value may vary depending on the unit system used.

How does the quantum angular momentum proportionality constant relate to the uncertainty principle?

The quantum angular momentum proportionality constant is a crucial component of the Heisenberg uncertainty principle. It states that the product of the uncertainties in the position and momentum of a particle is equal to or greater than the reduced Planck's constant divided by 2. This principle shows the fundamental limitations of our ability to measure certain properties of a particle simultaneously.