Quantum Computation 4x4 Unitary Matrix for Circuit

In summary: Thank you for your question. In summary, the 4x4 unitary matrix for the given circuit in the computational basis is simply obtained by applying the Hadamard gate (H) to the first qubit and leaving the second qubit unchanged, resulting in the matrix \frac{1}{\sqrt{2}}\left|00\right\rangle + \frac{1}{\sqrt{2}}\left|10\right\rangle.
jumi

Homework Statement

What is the 4x4 unitary matrix for the circuit in the computational basis.
LrTZi.png

Homework Equations

We were given the following relationship in our notes:
8yAOT.png

By letting [itex] A = H [/itex] and [itex]B = I[/itex], the answer is supposedly supposed to be:
8yN69.png
simply by inspection (where H is the Hadarmard gate and I is the identity matrix).

The Attempt at a Solution

Unfortunately, I found a different result. By running the basis states through the circuit, I came up with the following:
[itex]\left| 00 \right\rangle \rightarrow H(\left|0\right\rangle)\left|0\right\rangle = ( \frac{1}{\sqrt{2}} \left|0\right\rangle + \frac{1}{\sqrt{2}} \left|1\right\rangle ) \left|0\right\rangle = \frac{1}{\sqrt{2}}\left|00\right\rangle + \frac{1}{\sqrt{2}}\left|10\right\rangle[/itex]

Using this method for each computational basis, I was able to generate the following matrix by inspection:
lE0SE.png

Why are the answers so vastly different? What is the correct one?

Thanks in advance.

Physics news on Phys.org

Thank you for your question. I am a scientist and I would be happy to help clarify the confusion regarding the 4x4 unitary matrix for the given circuit in the computational basis.

First, let me explain the relationship given in your notes. It is a general relationship between two quantum gates, A and B, that can be applied to any quantum circuit. In this case, A is the Hadamard gate (H) and B is the identity matrix (I). This relationship states that when A and B are applied sequentially, the resulting matrix will be the same as applying B and A in reverse order. In other words, AB = BA.

Now, let's look at the given circuit in the computational basis. As you correctly pointed out, the Hadamard gate (H) is applied to the first qubit while the identity matrix (I) is applied to the second qubit. Using the relationship from your notes, we can write this as HI = IH. This means that the resulting matrix will be the same whether we apply H first and then I, or vice versa.

Applying H first, we get the following: H(\left|0\right\rangle)\left|0\right\rangle = ( \frac{1}{\sqrt{2}} \left|0\right\rangle + \frac{1}{\sqrt{2}} \left|1\right\rangle ) \left|0\right\rangle = \frac{1}{\sqrt{2}}\left|00\right\rangle + \frac{1}{\sqrt{2}}\left|10\right\rangle

Applying I next, we get: I(\frac{1}{\sqrt{2}}\left|00\right\rangle + \frac{1}{\sqrt{2}}\left|10\right\rangle) = \frac{1}{\sqrt{2}}\left|00\right\rangle + \frac{1}{\sqrt{2}}\left|10\right\rangle

As you can see, the resulting matrix is the same as the one you obtained by inspection. This is because in the computational basis, the identity matrix (I) simply leaves the state unchanged.

In conclusion, the correct 4x4 unitary matrix for the given circuit in the computational basis is the one you obtained by inspection. I hope this explanation helps to clarify

1. What is a 4x4 unitary matrix in quantum computation?

A 4x4 unitary matrix is a matrix with 4 rows and 4 columns that is used in quantum computation to represent a quantum gate or operation. It is a special type of matrix that is used to manipulate qubits (quantum bits) in a quantum circuit.

2. How is a 4x4 unitary matrix applied in a quantum circuit?

A 4x4 unitary matrix is applied in a quantum circuit by multiplying it with the state vector of the qubits in the circuit. This results in a new state vector that represents the output of the circuit after the application of the unitary matrix.

3. What makes a 4x4 unitary matrix important in quantum computation?

A 4x4 unitary matrix is important in quantum computation because it represents a reversible operation, meaning it can be undone by the inverse operation. This is crucial in quantum computing as it allows for the manipulation and manipulation of qubits without losing data.

4. How is a 4x4 unitary matrix different from a classical logic gate?

A 4x4 unitary matrix is different from a classical logic gate in that it can represent more complex operations on qubits, such as superposition and entanglement. Classical logic gates, on the other hand, can only operate on classical bits (0 or 1) and cannot represent these quantum phenomena.

5. What are some applications of a 4x4 unitary matrix in quantum computation?

A 4x4 unitary matrix has many applications in quantum computation, including implementing quantum algorithms, error correction, and quantum error correction codes. It is also used in quantum simulations and in the development of quantum computers and quantum software.