Quantum gates: what is the hardware?

In summary, there are various approaches to implementing quantum gates, including ion traps, superconducting qubits, NV-centers in diamond, impurities in crystals, linear optics, quantum dots, and cold gases or hot vapors for quantum memories. Google Scholar and ArXiv are good resources for finding information on these methods, and there are also freely accessible articles available on the topic. Some other suggestions for finding specific information include using Google, Wikipedia, and review articles.
nomadreid
Gold Member
In looking up "quantum gates", e.g. "Hadamard gate", all I come across is the matrix representations of the operations. But I do not see how, physically, they are achieved. (I also presume it will be different if we are talking about photons or electrons.) Could someone give me an appropriate link? (If you want to concentrate on a single one, then pick the Hadamard.) Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
Thank you, DrClaude. Good advice. However, I should have put "freely accessible articles" in my request: in your example (and most of the other examples from Google Scholar), I get the abstract but not the article unless I want to pay. (I have had the experience before of paying for an article and not finding it what I wanted, so I wish not to repeat this. Or just think of me as a cheapskate.) I tried ArXiv, but again I come across the gates being black boxes.

Thanks, bp_psy. That is much better. :redface: I deserve a tongue-lashing for overlooking that.

There are LOTS of different ways of making quantum gates. The systems can be everything from solid state (semiconductors, superconductors) to individual ions to photons in a fibre.

Likes 1 person
Thanks, f95toli. The more the merrier. All suggestions for finding specifics are welcome.

Quantum dots are pretty cool.
http://www.ohio.edu/people/diao/papers/qd.pdf

There are many different approaches to implementing quantum hardware, below I mention a couple of approaches so that you have some words that you can google. If you're just learing about them, I would say something simple like wikipedia is probably better than real research articles to start with, though some review articles might be good as well.

Some approaches:

• Ion traps
  • Superconducting qubits (squids)
  • NV-centers in diamond
  • Impurities in crystals (like rare-earth ions)
  • QC in Linear optics
  • Quantum dots
  • Cold gases (BEC) or hot vapors (for quantum memories)

1. What is a quantum gate?

A quantum gate is a fundamental building block in quantum computing that manipulates the quantum states of qubits. It is the quantum equivalent of a classical logic gate, which performs logical operations on classical bits.

2. How does a quantum gate work?

A quantum gate works by applying a unitary operation on the quantum states of qubits, thereby changing their quantum states. This operation is controlled by the inputs, or control qubits, and the resulting output qubits are entangled with the inputs.

3. What is the hardware used to implement quantum gates?

The hardware used to implement quantum gates includes superconducting circuits, ion traps, and photonics. These technologies are used to create and manipulate qubits, which are the basic units of quantum information.

4. How are quantum gates different from classical gates?

Quantum gates differ from classical gates in that they operate on quantum states, which can exist in multiple states simultaneously. This allows for more complex operations and exponentially faster processing compared to classical gates.

5. What are some examples of common quantum gates?

Some examples of common quantum gates include the Hadamard gate, which creates superposition, the Pauli-X gate, which flips the state of a qubit, and the CNOT gate, which entangles two qubits. Other gates include the Toffoli gate, the SWAP gate, and the controlled-phase gate.