Quantum Mechanics: Delta Potential Sudden Change

Should I still find the free particle solutions or not?In summary, the problem asks to find the overlap of two bound states, ψα and ψβ, for the given potentials -αδ(x) and -βδ(x), respectively. The problem does not specify what ψβ is, but it is assumed to be of the same form as ψα. The goal is to prove that the overlap, |∫ψα(x)ψβ(x)dx|2, is less than 1. The solution may not involve finding
Fisherman87

Homework Statement

I have a particle which is initially in a bound state for a given voltage in the form of a delta function at the origin,

V = -αδ(x)

initial state is ψα = (√αm)/h2*exp(-m*α*|x|/(h2)

At t=0, voltage is changed to V = -βδ(x)

both α and β are greater than zero. Right now I'm just struggling to find ψβ

Homework Equations

All equations I have are included above.

The Attempt at a Solution

I realize the new bound state is in the same form as it was earlier, as all bound states for attractive delta functions have only one bound state and if I solve schrodinger's equation for this delta function, it comes out to the same equation except replaced with β. However, I realize there's also a probability of the particle radiating away. My attempt at solving this was treating it as a free particle radiating away to the left or right and looking into what I get , thinking that if I added them together then I would get the answer for ψβ, but it blew up and made no sense (and seemed unsolvable, at least for how I tried to do it).

I'm a bit lost as to how to do this problem. I know there are three possibilities: It stays in the bound state, it moves off to the left, and it moves off to the right. However, I have no clue as to find the function for the unbound particle state.

Physics news on Phys.org
Fisherman87 said:
I realize there's also a probability of the particle radiating away. My attempt at solving this was treating it as a free particle radiating away to the left or right and looking into what I get , thinking that if I added them together then I would get the answer for ψβ,

i could not follow the term radiating away - is it tunneling or charge particle radiation- in a bound state the particles do not radiate - what is the width of the potential being considered?
how is the time involved? well i am asking as a novice pl. bear with me.

/

drvrm said:
i could not follow the term radiating away - is it tunneling or charge particle radiation- in a bound state the particles do not radiate - what is the width of the potential being considered?
how is the time involved? well i am asking as a novice pl. bear with me.

/

It's a delta function. There is no width. While it is in a bound state, you are right. However, if the potential suddenly changes to some other value, then there is a chance that it moves off.

I am not sure how time is involved. When I tried to include time while treating it as a free particle, the equations turned into messes that couldn't be evaluated. That is my issue.

Fisherman87 said:
It's a delta function. There is no width. While it is in a bound state, you are right. However, if the potential suddenly changes to some other value, then there is a chance that it moves off.
i think one should write down the equations and get solutions which are continuous at the boundary -if it has a bound state some width is necessary -perhaps your alpha and beta is related to the width -as the integral of delta function goes to unity -your potential will go to perhaps alpha... i guess.

Fisherman87 said:
Right now I'm just struggling to find ψβ
What is ##\psi_\beta##? Is it just the bound state of the new delta potential? If yes, then simply interchange ##\alpha## with ##\beta## in ##\psi_\alpha##.
Fisherman87 said:
However, I realize there's also a probability of the particle radiating away.
Do you mean, the free particle solutions? Yes, they are one of the states the initial state can collapse to. But here, it depends on what you mean by ##\psi_\beta##.

blue_leaf77 said:
What is ##\psi_\beta##? Is it just the bound state of the new delta potential? If yes, then simply interchange ##\alpha## with ##\beta## in ##\psi_\alpha##.

Do you mean, the free particle solutions? Yes, they are one of the states the initial state can collapse to. But here, it depends on what you mean by ##\psi_\beta##.

I was referring to ψβ as the overall superposition of all the possible states. Ergo, the bound state added to the free particle states. Notice that the problem itself doesn't specify exactly what ψβ is; it only tells me what the new potential function is.

It's also possible that I'm a bit confused on the problem. The actual problem itself asks me to find |∫ψα(x)ψβ(x)dx|2, where x goes from negative infinity to positive infinity and then prove that this quantity is less than 1... but if I include the free particle solutions with the bound state then all possibilities should be covered so I would think this quantity would be 1. However, I can't figure out how to find the free particle solutions in order to prove that. I tried to find them using the solution to Schrodinger's equation for a free particle, Ψ(x,0) =(1/√2π) ∫Φ(k)exp(ik)dk where k goes from -infinity to infinity (k=(√2mE)/ħ) where Ψ(x,0) = ψα, but I got gibberish and an unsolveable integral. It didn't really make sense to me anyway since I'm looking for ψβ(x) and not looking for any time dependence and this approach leads to a time dependent solution. I realize that it probably didn't make sense to do it that way but I'm not really sure how to find this at all. All I know is the general solution to the free particle is

ψ(x,0) = Aexp(-ikx) + Bexp(ikx)

and I'm not really sure where to go from there. We haven't covered perturbation theory or transmission/reflection yet which is included in the textbook so I don't think the solution would involve using either of those topics.

Last edited:
Asked professor today and he forgot to mention in the assignment prompt that the problem was only for bound states of ψβ.

[itex]\psi_{b}[/itex] is of the exact same form of [itex]\psi_{a}[/itex]

Related to Quantum Mechanics: Delta Potential Sudden Change

1. What is a "delta potential sudden change" in quantum mechanics?

A delta potential sudden change refers to a sudden and discontinuous shift in the potential energy of a quantum system. This type of change can occur when a particle encounters a region of space with a high potential barrier, causing its energy and momentum to abruptly change.

2. How does a delta potential sudden change affect the behavior of quantum particles?

A delta potential sudden change can significantly alter the behavior of quantum particles. It can cause them to reflect, transmit, or tunnel through the potential barrier, depending on the energy of the particle and the height of the barrier.

3. Can a delta potential sudden change be predicted in quantum mechanics?

Yes, a delta potential sudden change can be predicted using mathematical equations and models in quantum mechanics. These predictions can help scientists understand and predict the behavior of quantum particles in different potential energy environments.

4. Is a delta potential sudden change a common occurrence in quantum systems?

Yes, delta potential sudden changes are a common occurrence in quantum systems. They are often used in experiments and simulations to study the behavior of particles in different energy environments and to test the principles of quantum mechanics.

5. Are there any real-world applications of delta potential sudden changes in quantum mechanics?

Yes, delta potential sudden changes have real-world applications in various fields, such as quantum computing and quantum cryptography. Understanding and controlling these sudden changes can help in the development of advanced technologies that utilize the principles of quantum mechanics.