How Do Parity and Potential Affect Quantum Well Solutions?

In summary, the student is trying to find a solution for the wavefunction that is similar to the finite potential well, but they are not sure if they are doing it correctly. They found that if they solve for the wavefunction between -b and -a, the solution will be zero and the probability of being at b will be 0.
thatguy14

Homework Statement

The question is attached as a picture. Note: if someone would prefer I type it out I can.

Homework Equations

Schrodingers equation

The Attempt at a Solution

PART A
I am pretty sure I got the well right. It looks like a finite well inside an infinite well. I have attached a crudely drawn one called "well.png".

PART B
So I know that because the potential well is even (symmetric about 0) we can choose the eigenfunctions to have some definite parity. Then since we are dealing with bound states where the energy levels are non-degenerate. Then can we say that the lowest state should always be of even parity and every alternating state should be even also? and the ones inbetween are odd? Does this apply to the entire well? I'm not sure I understand this

PART C
This is where I lose all confidence in what I know. So there are 2 cases, one where E < V0 and E > V0. For the E<V0 the solutions would look exactly like the finite well but with the added restriction that the probability of the particle being at b must be 0. For E> V0 I am not really sure... It must be bound right? But how does it behave with the drop in potential?

I'll leave it there for now. Any help would be greatly appreciated

Attachments

• Question.png
    Question.png
    25.9 KB · Views: 224
  • Well.png
    Well.png
    1.5 KB · Views: 469
Physics news on Phys.org
Can anyone help please? If I am being unclear please let me know

I did some work on c, hopefully someone can give me a reply to this to make sure I am on the right path.

so I said that the solution is similar to the finite potential well. In region A which is between -b and -a the wavefunction is of the form:

[itex]\psi[/itex] = Aexp(kx) + Bexp(-kx) (I know that there are i's here to indicate its complex but I am skipping a few steps).

Then I used a boundary condition that at x = -b, [itex]\psi[/itex]=0. This led to

[itex]\psi[/itex] = 0 =Aexp(-k*b)+Bexp(k*b)
then I solved for B

Bexp(kb) = -Aexp(-kB)
B = -Aexp(-2kb)

Then I plugged this back into the wave function

[itex]\psi[/itex] = Aexp(kx) - Aexp(-2kb)exp(-kx)
[itex]\psi[/itex] = A(exp(kx)-exp(-k(2b+x)))

Is this the correct approach? I know I have lots more to do but I wanted to make sure this was a step in the right direction. This has the behavior that I want, i.e., that it goes to 0 at b

1. What is a quantum well combination?

A quantum well combination is a type of semiconductor structure that is composed of multiple thin layers of different materials, which are stacked on top of each other. These layers are typically only a few nanometers thick and are designed to create a well-like potential for electrons, allowing for precise control of their motion and energy levels.

2. How does a quantum well combination work?

A quantum well combination works by taking advantage of the quantum confinement effect, which occurs when particles are confined to a small space. In this case, the thin layers of different materials create a potential barrier for electrons, causing them to be confined to a specific region. This confinement allows for precise control of the electron's energy levels and can be manipulated by changing the size and composition of the layers.

3. What are the applications of quantum well combinations?

Quantum well combinations have a wide range of applications in electronics and photonics. They are commonly used in the manufacturing of high-speed transistors, lasers, and light-emitting diodes (LEDs). They are also being explored for use in quantum computing and other emerging technologies.

4. What are the advantages of using quantum well combinations?

One of the main advantages of quantum well combinations is their ability to precisely control the motion and energy levels of electrons. This allows for the creation of high-performance electronic and optoelectronic devices. Additionally, quantum well combinations can be grown using well-established semiconductor fabrication techniques, making them relatively easy to manufacture.

5. What are the challenges of using quantum well combinations?

One of the main challenges of using quantum well combinations is the delicate and precise nature of their fabrication. Any slight variation in the layer thickness or composition can greatly affect the device's performance. Additionally, the materials used in quantum well combinations are often expensive and can be difficult to work with, making the manufacturing process more complex and costly.