Quantum Well Electron Energy

In summary, please double check your values and unit conversions, and also consider other formulas or methods that may be used to calculate the energy of the ground electron level in the conduction band.
jendrix

Homework Statement

For a GaAs with bandgap Eg =1.4eV

Effective electron mass is 0.07*me

d=10nm

Calculate the energy of the ground (lowest) electron level in the conduction band with respect to the bottom of the conduction band.

Homework Equations

Ea =Ec + h^2a^2 / 8*me*d^2

The Attempt at a Solution

As it was with respect to the conduction band bottom I only used the second part of the equation and as it was the lowest level I had a=1

My result

Put it through Wolfram so you can see working

http://i.imgur.com/xRbGy5f.png

However the answer I was given as a solution was

4.36*10^-21 J ( 0.027eV)in the book

where as my result is 8.6*10^-21

Is there something wrong with my method?

Thanks

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
for your post! Your method looks correct, but there may be a discrepancy in the values used for the effective electron mass and the bandgap. Can you double check the values you used and make sure they are accurate? Also, make sure to convert all units to the same system (eV or J) before plugging them into the equation.

Another possibility is that the book may be using a different formula or method to calculate the energy of the ground electron level in the conduction band. It may be helpful to check the book for any additional information or formulas that could be used for this calculation.

What is a quantum well electron energy?

A quantum well electron energy refers to the energy levels of electrons that are confined to a narrow region in a semiconductor material. This confinement creates a quantum well, which allows for discrete energy levels rather than a continuous energy band.

How is quantum well electron energy measured?

Quantum well electron energy can be measured using various techniques such as photoluminescence, photoluminescence excitation spectroscopy, and tunneling spectroscopy. These techniques allow for the determination of the energy levels and their corresponding wavefunctions.

What are the applications of quantum well electron energy?

Quantum well electron energy has many applications in the field of nanotechnology, including the development of quantum well lasers, transistors, and solar cells. It is also used in optoelectronic devices such as LEDs and photodetectors.

How does quantum well electron energy differ from bulk electron energy?

Quantum well electron energy differs from bulk electron energy in that it is confined to a smaller space, leading to discrete energy levels rather than a continuous band. This confinement also affects the properties of the electrons, such as their mobility and effective mass.

What are the factors that affect quantum well electron energy?

The energy levels of quantum well electrons are affected by the width and depth of the well, the material used, and any external factors such as temperature and electric field. Additionally, the shape and composition of the well can also impact the electron energy levels.