Question about Calculus 1 in university.

In summary, the conversation discusses various books for self-learning Calculus, including Morris Kline's "An Intuitive Approach to Calculus" and Swokowski's "Calculus" series. The question is raised about the coverage of Morris Kline's book, with mention of topics like rotation of axes and vectors. The community college mentioned uses Stewart's "Calculus" series, but there is a consensus that it is not a good book. The conversation also touches on the desire to become a mathematician and the potential benefits of taking logic classes for critical thinking. The discussion ends with a question about recommended books for trigonometry, including the Cohen and Sullivan books, and the desire to relearn geometry with the Keselev Planetary
TitoSmooth
My question is what does Calculus 1 consist of in college (community college which is not that proof heavy).

I have the Morris Kline book which I am self learning from and so far so good. I finally understood
how vectors work in reference to an object m sliding down a slope which is frictionless.

I also have Calculus by Swokowski which a few people recommended on this forum.

Is the Morris Kline: An Intuitive Approach to Calculus solely for Calculus 1? Or does it cover up to
Calculus 3 because I saw rotation of axis and vectors midway through the book.

My community college LACC uses Stewart for their Calculus series. Is Swokowski Calculus a lot better then Stewart or are they both easy books that do not have meat and potatoes?

I want to be a mathematician so I will learn from Spivak and Apostol after my college calculus class.

Also, what books at my math level are great for learning how to proof. and if it would be beneficial for me take some logic classes if it will help with my critical thinking for math.

Thanks.

Ps. Any great books for trig? I have the Cohen(Trig, Pre-Cal book) and Sullivans (Trig).
Cohen Trig book is lacking in the vector area and the application side, but his explanations are readable. Sullivan covers vectors includding the Dot, Cross, Area of Parralelogram, and XYZ plane. Yet, Sullivans excercises are a bit easy.

Any trig book which are challenging?

I also want to relearn geometry. Is Keselev Planetary any good? Or should I get the Lang book.

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
To be blunt, Stewart Calculus is bad, at least that is the general feeling I get from people I know who have used it. It looks like Morris Klien's book goes up to Calculus 3.

We unfortunately used Stewart for calc I-III. I also liked Kline so I ended up just using that instead. I would usually read the corresponding chapters from both books though. The chapters are a bit out of order but you can find everything in there.

What is Calculus 1?

Calculus 1 is the first course in a series of courses that make up the study of Calculus. It is a branch of mathematics that focuses on the study of change and includes topics such as limits, derivatives, and integrals.

What are the prerequisites for Calculus 1?

The prerequisites for Calculus 1 vary depending on the university, but typically include a solid foundation in algebra, trigonometry, and precalculus. It is also recommended to have a strong understanding of basic mathematical concepts and problem-solving skills.

What topics are covered in Calculus 1?

Calculus 1 typically covers topics such as limits, derivatives, applications of derivatives, and integrals. It also includes topics such as optimization, related rates, and fundamental theorem of calculus.

What are some common challenges students face in Calculus 1?

Some common challenges students face in Calculus 1 include understanding the abstract concepts, mastering the various computational techniques, and applying the concepts to real-world problems. It is important for students to practice regularly and seek help from their professors or tutors when needed.

What careers require knowledge of Calculus 1?

Many careers in the fields of science, engineering, economics, and finance require knowledge of Calculus 1. Some specific examples include jobs in data analysis, computer science, physics, and actuarial science. Additionally, knowledge of Calculus 1 can be beneficial for graduate studies in various fields.