Question about finding the limit of a^(1/n)

• Thread starter Clara Chung
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Limit
In summary: The teacher wanted to prove that lim a^(1/n) equals to 1, but he used the information that h>0 in order to use the sandwich theorem. is the proof invalid in this case?No, the proof is valid.
Clara Chung

Homework Statement

First part (a>1) of the proof:
Denote h = a^(1/n) - 1> -1
Then a = (1+h)^(n) >= 1+nh
so h <= (a-1) / n
Assume a > 1, so that 0 <h <= (a-1)/h n tends to infinity
By sandwich principle, lim n tends to infinity of h is 0

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Why is h > 0 when a > 1? Did the proof assume that a^(1/n) tends to one, so h = a^(1/n) - 1 > 0?

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi,

Let me guess: this is an example from textbook or blackboard (c.q. its modern equivalent) and it leaves you wondering ?
And the frst part (or the whole exercise?) is to prove this for ##a>1## -- for which we know that ##a^{\rm any\ power} > 0 ## ?

Clara Chung said:
Did the proof assume that a^(1/n) tends to one
That would invalidate the proof: you can't prove something by using what you want to prove as a correct assumption.

If my guess above is correct, the author expects that ##\displaystyle \lim_{n\rightarrow\infty} a^{({1\over n})} = 1 ## and embarks on an expedition to prove that ##\displaystyle \lim_{n\rightarrow\infty} a^{({1\over n})} - 1 = 0 ##

Clara Chung said:
Why is h > 0 when a > 1?
Mysterious. All I see so far is that ##h > -1## :rolleyes:

I also have difficulty understanding that ##(1+h)^n \ge 1+nh##, can you explain how that works for ##h>-1## ?

Last edited:
Likes Clara Chung
BvU said:
Hi,

Let me guess: this is an example from textbook or blackboard (c.q. its modern equivalent) and it leaves you wondering ?
And the frst part (or the whole exercise?) is to prove this for ##a>1## -- for which we know that ##a^{\rm any\ power} > 0 ## ?

That would invalidate the proof: you can't prove something by using what you want to prove as a correct assumption.

If my guess above is correct, the author expects that ##\displaystyle \lim_{n\rightarrow\infty} a^{({1\over n})} = 1 ## and embarks on an expedition to prove that ##\displaystyle \lim_{n\rightarrow\infty} a^{({1\over n})} - 1 = 0 ##

Mysterious. All I see so far is that ##h > -1## :rolleyes:

I also have difficulty understanding that ##(1+h)^n \ge 1+nh##, can you explain how that works for ##h>-1## ?

How do you see that h > -1 only?
If h > -1, we can use the bernoulli's inequality, so (1+h)^(n) >= 1+nh ....

Clara Chung said:
If h > -1, we can use the bernoulli's inequality, so (1+h)^(n) >= 1+nh ....
Very good - that's what I was fishing for.
Clara Chung said:
How do you see that h > -1 only?
It's what you wrote
Clara Chung said:
Denote h = a^(1/n) - 1> -1
and it can only be correct if ##a^{(1/n)}>0## -- fortunately, that is the case for ##a>1##.

What's stilll missing is a proof that ##h>0## -- or am I mistaken ?

BvU said:
Very good - that's what I was fishing for.
It's what you wrote
and it can only be correct if ##a^{(1/n)}>0## -- fortunately, that is the case for ##a>1##.

What's stilll missing is a proof that ##h>0## -- or am I mistaken ?
The teacher wanted to prove that lim a^(1/n) equals to 1, but he used the information that h>0 in order to use the sandwich theorem. is the proof invalid in this case?

Invalid is a strong term... but I would like to know how ##\ h\ge-1 \ ## can come back a few lines later as ##\ \ 0<h \ ##...

What is the concept of finding the limit of a^(1/n)?

The limit of a^(1/n) is a mathematical concept that involves finding the value that a^(1/n) approaches as n becomes infinitely large. In other words, it determines the behavior of a number, a, when it is raised to a fractional power with an increasingly large denominator.

What is the formula for finding the limit of a^(1/n)?

The formula for finding the limit of a^(1/n) is lim(n→∞) a^(1/n) = 1, where a is a positive real number.

What are the steps for finding the limit of a^(1/n)?

The steps for finding the limit of a^(1/n) are as follows:

1. Rewrite the expression in exponential form, as a^(1/n) = e^[(1/n)ln(a)].
  2. Take the natural logarithm of both sides to get ln(a) as the exponent.
  3. Substitute n = 1/m and take the limit as m approaches infinity.
  4. Use the rule lim(n→∞) (1/n) = 0 to simplify the expression to ln(a).
  5. Raise both sides to the power of e to get the final result of lim(n→∞) a^(1/n) = 1.

What is the significance of finding the limit of a^(1/n)?

Finding the limit of a^(1/n) is important in understanding the behavior of a number as the denominator of its fractional exponent approaches infinity. It is also used in many mathematical and scientific applications, such as in determining the growth rate of bacteria or the half-life of a radioactive substance.

Are there any limitations to finding the limit of a^(1/n)?

Yes, there are limitations to finding the limit of a^(1/n). This method only works for positive real numbers and cannot be used for complex numbers or negative numbers. Additionally, the limit may not exist if a is negative or if the exponent is a non-integer value.