Question about Killing vectors in the Kerr Metric

In summary, the conversation is about a physics undergrad struggling to understand a concept in Carroll's section on the Kerr black hole. They are confused about the notation and how to go from K = \partial_t to K = (1,0,0,0), but eventually understand that it is a coordinate dependent statement assuming a translational symmetry along the 't' direction.
edwiddy
Hi, I'm a physics undergrad working through Carroll at the moment. In the section on the Kerr black hole, he states that [itex]K= \partial_t[/itex] is a Killing vector because the coefficients of the metric are independent of [itex]t[/itex]. He then states in eq. 6.83 that [itex]K^\mu [/itex] is normalized by:

[tex]K^\mu K_\mu = - \frac{1}{\rho^2} (\Delta - a^2 \sin^2{\theta})[/tex]

where [itex] \Delta = r^2 - 2GMr + a^2[/itex] and [itex] \rho^2 = r^2 + a^2 \cos^2{\theta} [/itex].

Now I can't seem to for the life of me duplicate this from the metric. We take [itex]K^\mu = (\partial_t)^\mu = \delta ^\mu_t[/itex] right? Then:

[tex]K^\mu K_\mu = g^{\mu\nu}K_\nu K_\mu[/tex]

which is only non zero for [itex]\mu=\nu=t[/itex]...but that doesn't match up. The crossterms in the metric need to come into play, but it seems that if anyone of the indices is [itex]\phi[/itex] then it goes to zero...

Thanks.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
It would be interesting if someone could clarify this

Nada you esta xD

P.D: Sorry I already got it :P

Now I am struggling with the following [itex]K^\mu = (\partial_t)^\mu = \delta ^\mu_t[/itex] . Could anyone explain how to get the last equality.

i'm reading this from GRAVITATION(Thorne, Wheeler...) and I am quite confused as to how this is true, it is probably a silly thing but I am very new to this notation

Thank you.

Last edited:
Ayfel said:
Now I am struggling with the following [itex]K^\mu = (\partial_t)^\mu = \delta ^\mu_t[/itex] . Could anyone explain how to get the last equality.

This is a coordinate dependent statement. It assumes that 't' is one of your coordinates; in particular, that the manifold has a translational symmetry along the 't' direction. In other words, take a manifold with a translational symmetry, and call the axis along that symmetry 't'.

Second, I agree the notation is a bit confusing. I would simply write

[tex]K = \partial_t[/tex]

If your coordinates are [itex](t, x^1, x^2, x^3)[/itex], then you could write [itex]K = (1,0,0,0)[/itex]. Or in other words,

[tex]K^\mu = \delta_0^\mu[/tex]

The notation in your OP is simply using the label 't' instead of '0'.

The confusing part for me is to go from [tex]K = \partial_t[/tex] to [itex]K = (1,0,0,0)[/itex]

The first expression I suppose is independent of your reference system, but then I do not know how by setting them to t,r,etc you make the transition from the first to the second expression. I am thinking of [tex]K = \partial_t[/tex] as the partial derivative and I do not see how this becomes [itex]K = (1,0,0,0)[/itex]

Hmm, maybe it will be more clear if we write it out completely:

[tex]K = K^\mu \partial_\mu = K^t \partial_t + K^r \partial_r + K^\theta \partial_\theta + K^\phi \partial_\phi[/tex]

Now since we know [itex]K = \partial_t[/itex] and the basis vectors [itex]\partial_t, \; \partial_r, \; \partial_\theta, \; \partial_\phi[/itex] are all linearly independent, we are left with

[tex]K^t = 1, \qquad K^r = K^\theta = K^\phi = 0[/tex]

Does that make sense?

Ok now I get it, I was just being confused with the basis vectors and the components of the killing vector. I feel silly, but thank you now I get it.

Related to Question about Killing vectors in the Kerr Metric

1. What is the significance of Killing vectors in the Kerr Metric?

Killing vectors in the Kerr Metric represent the symmetries of the spacetime. They are important because they help us understand the behavior of particles in the presence of a rotating black hole.

2. How many Killing vectors are there in the Kerr Metric?

There are a total of four Killing vectors in the Kerr Metric, two of which are timelike and two of which are spacelike.

3. How do Killing vectors relate to conservation laws in the Kerr Metric?

Killing vectors are associated with conserved quantities in the Kerr Metric, such as energy and angular momentum. This is due to the fact that they generate symmetries, which in turn lead to conserved quantities.

4. Can Killing vectors be used to solve the equations of motion in the Kerr Metric?

Yes, Killing vectors can be used to simplify the equations of motion in the Kerr Metric. They can be used to find conserved quantities, which can then be used to solve the equations of motion.

5. Are Killing vectors unique to the Kerr Metric or do they exist in other metrics?

Killing vectors exist in many different metrics, not just the Kerr Metric. They are a fundamental concept in differential geometry and are used in various areas of physics, such as general relativity and particle physics.