Question about the meaning of the Δi term in this equation

• Thread starter new90
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Term
In summary, the equation ∑ficosΔi = 0 is being discussed and the meaning of Δi is being questioned. The context of the equation is unclear and it is mentioned that Δi could refer to an angle or a difference. It is also noted that the use of Δi can vary among different people and fields of study.
new90
Homework Statement
question
Relevant Equations
n
∑ficosΔi = 0 what is the meaning of Δi

Physics news on Phys.org
new90 said:
Homework Statement:: question
Relevant Equations:: n

∑ficosΔi = 0 what is the meaning of Δi
This doesn't look so much like a homework problem, but more of a conceptual question?

Also, can you please show us where you got this equation? Can you maybe post a screenshot of it, or attach a picture of it? Since you did not post it in LaTeX, it's hard to interpret what it is for. Thanks.

1585595292312.png

but the thing i want to know what ddoes it means Δi

Without context and further specification: an angle.

1585595945886.png

new90 said:
Still an angle.

• Haha
Likes Adesh and berkeman
ok

new90 said:
The exact format is important. Is it ##\Sigma f_i\cos(\Delta i)## or ##\Sigma f_i\cos(\Delta_i)##?
What is the subject matter? What preceding references to ##\Delta## or ##\Delta i## or ##\Delta_i## in the text?

Likes berkeman
Without context anything can be any other thing. In mathematical and physical contexts ##\Delta## generally stands for difference (usually very small one ) or a very small quantity of something. And ##i## is a dummy variable (generally).

Adesh said:
Without context anything can be any other thing. In mathematical and physical contexts ##\Delta## generally stands for difference (usually very small one ) or a very small quantity of something. And ##i## is a dummy variable (generally).

I'm not sure about the 'very small' part. For infinitesimal changes we might use the little 'd'. But I see no reason why not to use ##\Delta## even if the change is very large - as far as I'm aware it's just a change, the bog standard "final - initial". We could apply a force to something, wait 10 years and measure its ##\Delta E_k##.

Please do correct me if I've misinterpreted something!

Likes Adesh and fresh_42
etotheipi said:
I'm not sure about the 'very small' part. For infinitesimal changes we might use the little 'd'. But I see no reason why not to use ##\Delta## even if the change is very large - as far as I'm aware it's just a change, the bog standard "final - initial".

You see this ##\Delta## once caused me a serious problem during my reading of Feynman Lectures on Physics, in volume 1 of FLP you will find ##\Delta## being used for small changes, however, other books tend to write ##\delta## for small changes.

Last edited:
Likes etotheipi
etotheipi said:
I'm not sure about the 'very small' part. For infinitesimal changes we might use the little 'd'. But I see no reason why not to use ##\Delta## even if the change is very large - as far as I'm aware it's just a change, the bog standard "final - initial". We could apply a force to something, wait 10 years and measure its ##\Delta E_k##.

Delta small is a very physical point of view. In other areas as mathematics or economy it is normally just any difference, often a step width.

But "i" could be anything: imaginary unit, index or variable.

Likes etotheipi
Adesh said:
You see this ##\Delta## once caused be a serious problem during my reading of Feynman Lectures on Physics, in volume 1 of FLP you will find ##\Delta## being used for small changes, however, other books tend to write ##\delta## for small changes.

I've just looked and you're quite right! That is awfully confusing!

I guess I'm just used to seeing ##\Delta## for a finite change, ##\delta## for a very small variation and ##d## for an infinitesimal change. But as @fresh_42 mentioned, usage amongst many different people can be very inconsistent!

• Love
Likes Adesh
ok thanks

1. What does the Δi term represent in this equation?

The Δi term in this equation represents the change or difference in the value of the variable i.

2. How is the Δi term calculated?

The Δi term is calculated by subtracting the initial value of i from the final value of i.

3. Can the Δi term be negative?

Yes, the Δi term can be negative if the final value of i is smaller than the initial value.

4. Why is the Δi term important in this equation?

The Δi term is important because it allows us to measure and analyze the change in the value of i, which is crucial in understanding the behavior of the variable in the equation.

5. Are there any limitations to using the Δi term?

One limitation of using the Δi term is that it only considers the change in the value of i and does not take into account any other factors that may affect the variable. Additionally, the Δi term may not accurately represent the overall change if there are significant fluctuations in the values of i throughout the equation.