Question about the solution of TISE (finite potential barrier)

In summary: Depending on the energy and corresponding width of the barrier certain approximations can be made.For a particle incident from left with E, < V(x) one can have {A.B} {C.D} and E in the three regions as there will be transmitted amplitude in the third region. The most interesting is (E/A) which represents tunneling. As no wave is coming from right the sixth amplitude will be zero.Sorry, but I mean is it possible for all 6 coefficients be non zero?When one is treating the problem from the view of a particle incident from left with E, < V(x) one can have only five constants {A.B} {C
Clara Chung
79.png

Let's say the solution on the left hand side is a sinkx + b coskx = 0
We get one solution for each E if we omitted a and another solution if we omitted b. However, how to conclude that they are all the solutions? Will there be any solution of the 5 coefficients such that a and b are both not zero?
Thank you

Attachments

• 79.png
    79.png
    33.2 KB · Views: 816
Physics news on Phys.org
Clara Chung said:
Let's say the solution on the left hand side is a sinkx + b coskx = 0

If you are dealing with a physical situation, the five coefficients are necessary- however, the continuity condition gives you four relations;
Therefore the ratio of coefficients with incident amplitude carries physical interpretations-like reflection, transmission.etc.
making a and b both zero does not carry any meaning.
moreover, the total wave function can be zero on the left side if there is infinite wall

Likes Clara Chung
drvrm said:
If you are dealing with a physical situation, the five coefficients are necessary- however, the continuity condition gives you four relations;
Therefore the ratio of coefficients with incident amplitude carries physical interpretations-like reflection, transmission.etc.
making a and b both zero does not carry any meaning.
moreover, the total wave function can be zero on the left side if there is infinite wall
Sorry, but I mean will there be solution where a and b are both NOT zero?

Clara Chung said:
Sorry, but I mean will there be a solution where a and b are both NOT zero?

yes, such solutions exist on the left of the potential barrier- gen solution is
Psi(x) =a exp( i.k.x) +b exp(- i.k.x)
where
k = Sqrt( 2mE)/ h_bar

Likes Clara Chung
drvrm said:
yes, such solutions exist on the left of the potential barrier- gen solution is
Psi(x) =a exp( i.k.x) +b exp(- i.k.x)
where
k = Sqrt( 2mE)/ h_bar
yes, but I mean is it possible for all 6 coefficients be non zero?

Clara Chung said:
yes, but I mean is it possible for all 6 coefficients be non zero?

When one is treating the problem from the view of a particle incident from left with E, < V(x) you can have only five constants

say {A.B} {C.D } and E in the three regions as there will be transmitted amplitude in the third region.- the most interesting is (E/A)
physically as it represents tunneling. As no wave is coming from right the sixth amplitude will be zero.

depending on the energy and corresponding width of the barrier certain approximations can be made.
pl. see the detailed treatment in the reference below-that may help you.

Ref.-http://www.cse.salford.ac.uk/physics/gsmcdonald/pp/PPLATOResources/h-flap/p11_1t.pdf

Likes Clara Chung

1. What is the TISE (finite potential barrier)?

The TISE (finite potential barrier) is a mathematical equation used in quantum mechanics to describe the behavior of particles in a finite potential barrier. It stands for "Time-Independent Schrödinger Equation."

2. How does the TISE (finite potential barrier) relate to quantum mechanics?

The TISE (finite potential barrier) is a fundamental equation in quantum mechanics, which is the branch of physics that studies the behavior of particles at the atomic and subatomic levels. It helps to predict the energy levels and probabilities of particles in a finite potential barrier.

3. What is the significance of the finite potential barrier in quantum mechanics?

The finite potential barrier is a common scenario in quantum mechanics, where particles encounter a potential barrier that they must either tunnel through or reflect off of. The solution of the TISE (finite potential barrier) helps to understand and predict the behavior of particles in this scenario.

4. How is the TISE (finite potential barrier) solved?

The TISE (finite potential barrier) is solved using mathematical techniques such as separation of variables and boundary conditions. The solution involves finding the energy eigenvalues and corresponding eigenfunctions for the particle in the potential barrier.

5. What are some real-world applications of the TISE (finite potential barrier)?

The TISE (finite potential barrier) has many applications in various fields such as electronics, optics, and materials science. It is used to understand and predict the behavior of electrons in semiconductors, the transmission of light through barriers, and the energy levels of particles in solid-state materials.