Question about Virtual Particles

In summary, virtual particles are a concept used to understand quantum interactions, but they cannot be observed. However, under certain circumstances, they can turn into real particles, as shown by the prediction and observation of Hawking radiation. This phenomenon demonstrates that the vacuum of space is not actually empty, but contains virtual particles that can become real under extreme conditions.
Gerinski
Wikipedia says that virtual particles can not be observed, they are a handy concept for understanding what happens in quantum interactions, annihilating each other before they can be detected as real particles. However it also says that under certain circumstances, if they are moved apart from each other quickly enough, they can turn into real particles instead of annihilating each other. As I understand this is the principle behind black holes Hawking Radiation, where one of the pair particles falls into the hole while the other one can escape it.

My question is: Has the event of a virtual particle turning into a real detectable particle ever been experimentally observed?

Physics news on Phys.org
bhobba said:
No - because virtual particles don't actually exist. They are simply an artefact of the mathematical methods used called perturbation theory and something called a Dyson Series:

Admittedly I've never looked into Hawking Radiation. What would it mean then if it was actually observed? A quantum gravity behavior of the field which is just pictorially explained as virtual particles going astray, but not quite?

ddd123 said:
Admittedly I've never looked into Hawking Radiation. What would it mean then if it was actually observed? A quantum gravity behavior of the field which is just pictorially explained as virtual particles going astray, but not quite?

I am not sure of the point you are trying to make. But in the theory virtual particles lead to effects - that doesn't make them real.

In fact there is another formulation called lattice gauge theory were they are absent and allows theoretical predictions. Trouble is it can only be done on a computer and hasn't as yet achieved the accuracy of the usual method.

Thanks
Bill

Last edited:
I'm not trying to make a point, if I had one I wouldn't ask a question. Even Wikipedia manages the topic in this way and this virtual pair production becoming real is popular: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hawking_radiation

Physical insight into the process may be gained by imagining that particle-antiparticle radiation is emitted from just beyond the event horizon. This radiation does not come directly from the black hole itself, but rather is a result of virtual particles being "boosted" by the black hole's gravitation into becoming real particles.

If the effect of the - unreal - virtual particle is for it to become real, one wonders about the reality status of the former a bit more, if the explanation is left at that. So I was asking what the field-theoretic approach actually means in this case.

Hawking has stated that the whole "virtual particle" thing is not what actually happens in Hawking Radiation but rather is just a way to describe in English what can really only be described accurately in math. It's sort of an analogy, not a description of reality.

Likes bhobba
If you do a search you will find many threads on this forum explaining virtual particles are simply a mathematical artefact. They do not appear in other methods. They are not the cause of Hawking radiation.

Thanks
Bill

Wiki also says:

"The longer a virtual particle exists, the more closely it adheres to the mass-shell relation. A "virtual" particle that exists for an arbitrarily long time is simply an ordinary particle.
However, all particles have a finite lifetime, as they are created and eventually destroyed by some processes. As such, there is no absolute distinction between "real" and "virtual" particles. In practice, the lifetime of "ordinary" particles is far longer than the lifetime of the virtual particles that contribute to processes in particle physics, and as such the distinction is useful to make."

bhobba said:
If you do a search you will find many threads on this forum explaining virtual particles are simply a mathematical artefact. They do not appear in other methods. They are not the cause of Hawking radiation.

Just to report that I already read those threads long before this one. I know about it. But since this conception is so pervasive, even on wiki etc... it does confuse me. For example that above Wiki quote is pretty bewildering, it seems to positively contradict everything this forum usually says.

ddd123 said:
For example that above Wiki quote is pretty bewildering, it seems to positively contradict everything this forum usually says.
Yes, because Wiki is wrong. I don't know why more knowledgeable people don't get on there and fix it but they don't, or if they do, the ignorant come back and "fix" it back.

ddd123 said:
Just to report that I already read those threads long before this one. I know about it. But since this conception is so pervasive, even on wiki etc... it does confuse me..

Anything written about QFT outside a QFT textbook is almost certainly WRONG. It is not an easy area and explaining without the proper technicaluties invariably leads to inaccuracies.

Thanks
Bill

Even the CERN website describes them as real, but just very short lived.
http://pdg.web.cern.ch/pdg/cpep/unc_vir.html

That wiki passage doesn't cite a specific source. It would be interesting to know where they got it from.

Gerinski said:
Wikipedia says that virtual particles can not be observed, they are a handy concept for understanding what happens in quantum interactions, annihilating each other before they can be detected as real particles. However it also says that under certain circumstances, if they are moved apart from each other quickly enough, they can turn into real particles instead of annihilating each other. As I understand this is the principle behind black holes Hawking Radiation, where one of the pair particles falls into the hole while the other one can escape it.

My question is: Has the event of a virtual particle turning into a real detectable particle ever been experimentally observed?

Yes.

http://arxiv.org/abs/1105.4714

One of the most surprising predictions of modern quantum theory is that the vacuum of space is not empty. In fact, quantum theory predicts that it teems with virtual particles flitting in and out of existence. While initially a curiosity, it was quickly realized that these vacuum fluctuations had measurable consequences, for instance producing the Lamb shift of atomic spectra and modifying the magnetic moment for the electron. This type of renormalization due to vacuum fluctuations is now central to our understanding of nature. However, these effects provide indirect evidence for the existence of vacuum fluctuations. From early on, it was discussed if it might instead be possible to more directly observe the virtual particles that compose the quantum vacuum. 40 years ago, Moore suggested that a mirror undergoing relativistic motion could convert virtual photons into directly observable real photons. This effect was later named the dynamical Casimir effect (DCE). Using a superconducting circuit, we have observed the DCE for the first time. The circuit consists of a coplanar transmission line with an electrical length that can be changed at a few percent of the speed of light. The length is changed by modulating the inductance of a superconducting quantum interference device (SQUID) at high frequencies (~11 GHz). In addition to observing the creation of real photons, we observe two-mode squeezing of the emitted radiation, which is a signature of the quantum character of the generation process.

craigi said:
One of the most surprising predictions of modern quantum theory is that the vacuum of space is not empty. In fact, quantum theory predicts that it teems with virtual particles flitting in and out of existence.

Incorrect - as many threads on this forum explain - including our FAQ.

Its not just this forum:
http://physics.stackexchange.com/questions/4349/are-w-z-bosons-virtual-or-not/22064#22064
For anyone still tempted to associate a physical meaning to virtual particles as a specific quantum phenomenon, let me note that Feynman-type diagrams arise in any perturbative treatment of statistical multiparticle properties, even classically, as any textbook of statistical mechanics witnesses.

More specifically, the paper http://homepages.physik.uni-muenchen.de/~helling/classical_fields.pdf shows that the perturbation theory for any classical field theory leads to an expansion into Feynman diagrams very similar to those for quantum field theories, except that only tree diagrams occur. If the picture of virtual particles derived from Feynman diagrams had any intrinsic validity, one should conclude that associated to every classical field there are classical virtual particles behaving just like their quantum analogues, except that (due to the lack of loop diagrams) there are no virtual creation/annihilation patterns. But in the literature, one can find not the slightest trace of a suggestion that classical field theory is sensibly interpreted in terms of virtual particles.

The reaon for this similarity in the classical and the quantum case is that Feynman diagrams are nothing else than a graphical notation for writing down products of tensors with many indices summed via the Einstein summation convention. The indices of the results are the external lines aka ''real particles'', while the indices summed over are the internal lines aka ''virtual particles''. As such sums of products occur in any multiparticle expansion of expectations, they arise irrespective of the classical or quantum nature of the system.

Now can we move on please.

Thanks
Bill

Last edited:
Likes Demystifier
ddd123 said:
That wiki passage doesn't cite a specific source. It would be interesting to know where they got it from.

Its a common misconception even amongst those that actually know QFT. But misconception it is.

Thanks
Bill

Gerinski said:

So you have two answers to your question:

No based upon semantic objections to your question.
Yes from a well respected group of physicists, who made the observation themselves.

You choose.

craigi said:
You choose.

I choose logic from understanding what virtual particles are - as per the link I gave.

But if you don't agree feel free to contact its author Professor Neumaier about it:
http://arnold-neumaier.at/

Thanks
Bill

Last edited:
bhobba said:

This is the most complete answer so far. But the comments on it... There doesn't seem to be a definitive nail on the issue, at least for someone who is still slightly outside of the field. Here is a chat log where it's dissected:

http://chat.stackexchange.com/rooms/5906/discussion-between-arnold-neumaier-and-user1247

It seems very similar to the interpretational issues of QM. I guess that for you it's not. But it's hard to see. For example, the argument that "a single Feynman diagram is meaningless so virtual particles are unphysical" isn't definitively convincing: the diagrams could be seen as a weak form of superposition (okay they're not "states"), but we don't observe the pure state wavefunction either, only the measurement. So while classical fields are completely deterministic (and their Feynman diagrams with only tree levels remain formal) quantum theory is peculiarly probabilistic and involves superpositions, which we usually talk about as being "real".

The other argument about virtual particles being absent in Lattice theories is more convincing. But this could be seen as just a different viewpoint that a theory offers, while virtual particles retaining value in the continuum picture.

The main problem is that it's not just profane people that allow this idea, but even scientists in that very field. The CERN website says it. So since you put the issue at the level of something uncontroversial and established, it's confusing. The other threads about virtual particles don't go into this detail. Maybe we should talk about this more, not less. I don't agree with craigi in that many scientists have often been wrong anyway: it's called a "argument from authority" fallacy.

ddd123 said:
There doesn't seem to be a definitive nail on the issue,

You mean that its mathematically exactly the same as what can be done in classical field theory doesn't convince you its just part of the mathematical formalism?

Forget others confusion - you know the facts and can reason for yourself.

Thanks
Bill

Yes, to conclude that I would have to first study that paper and see for myself (which I intend to do, but it'll take time). I still have to finish my QFT course. I will certainly make up my mind when I see the theory for myself.

Likes bhobba
Gerinski said:
What about this other quote from Wiki?

Same answer.

No one is claiming they don't lead to effects. Its simply they are mathematical by-products of the perturbation methods used.

Thanks
Bill

Do you agree with this sentence from the Unruh Effect wiki page? It uses "fields" instead of "virtual particles" as I suggested in my first post in the thread:

In modern terms, the concept of "vacuum" is not the same as "empty space": space is filled with the quantized fields that make up the universe. Vacuum is simply the lowest possible energy state of these fields.

The energy states of any quantized field are defined by the Hamiltonian, based on local conditions, including the time coordinate. According to special relativity, two observers moving relative to each other must use different time coordinates. If those observers are accelerating, there may be no shared coordinate system. Hence, the observers will see different quantum states and thus different vacua.

So they're something, but not particles ?

ddd123 said:
Do you agree with this sentence from the Unruh Effect wiki page? It uses "fields" instead of "virtual particles" as I suggested in my first post in the thread:

Did you read what Professor Neumaier wrote?

Thanks
Bill

Nick666 said:
So they're something, but not particles ?

As per the above.

Just a comment here. The facts have been laid out. Its not too hard to see how to answer questions like the above based on that.

Thanks
Bill

bhobba said:
Did you read what Professor Neumaier wrote?

Thanks
Bill

Yes, also the whole comments and chat with the other user I linked. But they were in the context of scattering matrix elements, I don't know how to translate this to the Unruh effect.

ddd123 said:
Yes, also the whole comments and chat with the other user I linked. But they were in the context of scattering matrix elements, I don't know how to translate this to the Unruh effect.

Translate what? Virtual particles are simply mathematical artefacts of the perturbation methods used. They could be called Jaberwokys - it won't make any difference - so that's what I will call them. Now these Jaberwokys look different in an accelerated frame - so?

Thanks
Bill

So... If the distinction between real and virtual lies in the eye of the beholder, is it a useful distinction?

bhobba said:
Translate what? Virtual particles are simply mathematical artefacts of the perturbation methods used. They could be called Jaberwokys - it won't make any difference - so that's what I will call them. Now these Jaberwokys look different in an accelerated frame - so?

Thanks
Bill

Well no in the accelerated frame they are real particles this time, not mathematical artifacts. But it could be solved if we interpreted them as a way to handle the behavior of a field. That's why I asked you if you agree with that other wiki quote instead, which doesn't mention virtual particles. It may be easy to deduce from Neumaier's explanation but not for me :D

phinds said:
Yes, because Wiki is wrong. I don't know why more knowledgeable people don't get on there and fix it but they don't, or if they do, the ignorant come back and "fix" it back.

Hmmm, does Wikipedia allow links to PF as valid sources?

anorlunda said:
Hmmm, does Wikipedia allow links to PF as valid sources?
Don't know but i doubt it. There are many threads here where there is a lot of wrong information included. It DOES get corrected (or the thread gets closed) but it can make for a messy read and I suspect wiki is looking for more academic references (or at least I hope they are, I haven't looked a lot at what kind of references they give since I don't use them for anything but basic definitions and those they generally get right).

ddd123 said:
Well no in the accelerated frame they are real particles this time, not mathematical artifacts.

Gerinski said:
"In an accelerating frame of reference, the virtual particles may appear to be actual to the accelerating observer

Thanks
Bill