What happens to virtual photons when an EMF is extinguished?

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of virtual particles and their relation to electromagnetic fields. The question is posed about what happens to the virtual photons when the fields cancel each other out, and whether there are any disturbances that can be observed. The response is that virtual photons are not real, and therefore nothing happens to them. The conversation also touches on differing opinions about the reality of virtual particles and the usefulness of their mathematical representations.
Fluxation
Let's say I feed the same electrical signal into the opposed windings of a contrawound toroidal coil, and that this results in their individual electromagnetic fields cancelling to "zero". Can someone explain what in turn happens to the virtual photons associated with those canceled fields? For example, do they emit virtual particle pairs, self-annihilate .. or?

Are there any disturbances intrinsic to either outcome that could be said to possesses characteristics of the original electric current? For example, a frequency or waveshape?

Physics news on Phys.org
I am aware there are differing opinions regarding the "reality" of virtual particles. This has been discused eleswhere, as has the Casimir Efect. My question related primarily to virtual photons.

Virtual photons are not real. The answer is the answer. You may not accept this, but it doesn't change it.

Likes vanhees71 and weirdoguy
Fluxation said:
I am aware there are differing opinions regarding the "reality" of virtual particles.
There are different opinions, but not different informed opinions (in this context, "informed" means "has been through a graduate-level quantum electrodynamics course" or equivalent).

Nothing happens to the virtual photons because there weren't any there in the first place.

Likes Demystifier, A. Neumaier and vanhees71
I understand virtual particles are by definition unmeasurable. But can anyone answer my original question in the context of virtual photons transmitting EMF?

[Mentor's note: This post has been edited to remove speculation not allowed under the Physics Forums rules ]

Last edited by a moderator:
Fluxation said:
But can anyone answer my original question

No, because virtual photons are not real. Nothing "happens to them" because they are not real things.

Likes vanhees71
Vanadium 50 said:
[...] Nothing "happens to them" because they are not real things.
Hmm. In view of the OP's response to earlier answers, I suspect the virtual photons start huddling together, whispering amongst themselves about how those silly humans are not real.

o0)

Likes protonsarecool, vanhees71 and Nugatory
I think the question asked by OP is not so meaningless. Even though the virtual photons are not real, they are a useful computation tool. So one can rephrase his question into something like - how the mathematics of virtual photons would look like in such-and-such physical situation? In his case, I would say that there would be two sets of virtual photons, the contributions (to the total force) of which would cancel each other.

1. What are virtual photons?

Virtual photons are hypothetical particles that are created and destroyed constantly in the vacuum of space. They are not considered real particles because they cannot be directly observed, but they play a crucial role in the interaction between charged particles.

2. How are virtual photons related to an EMF?

An EMF, or electromagnetic field, is created by the movement of charged particles. As these particles move, they constantly emit and absorb virtual photons. The EMF is essentially made up of these virtual photons, which act as carriers of the electromagnetic force.

3. What happens to virtual photons when an EMF is extinguished?

When an EMF is extinguished, the charged particles that were creating the field stop moving. This means that they stop emitting and absorbing virtual photons. The virtual photons that were present in the field will either be absorbed by other particles or they will simply cease to exist.

4. Do virtual photons have any physical properties?

Virtual photons do not have any physical properties like mass or charge. They only exist as mathematical concepts to explain the behavior of electromagnetic fields.

5. Can virtual photons be detected?

No, virtual photons cannot be directly detected because they are not real particles. However, their effects can be observed through the interaction between charged particles and the resulting electromagnetic fields.