Question about water container with hole at the bottom

In summary, the equations given in the conversation involve integration and differentiation to find the rate of change of volume and time. The integration variable cannot be the same as the boundary of the integral because it is a dummy variable that disappears after integration. The differential equation in (b) needs to be solved using the expression for dV/dt and the resulting separable differential equation. The area of the hole at the bottom of the container should be used in the calculations for finding the time for water to flow out of the hole.
songoku
Homework Statement
Let the function A = f(x) , 0 ≤ x ≤ X, gives the area (in meter square) of the top surface of water in a container to a depth of x meters. Initially, the container filled with water, and there is a small
hole with area p meter square at the bottom of the container.

(a) Find a function V = g(x), the volume of water in the tank (in meter cube) in terms of its depth.

(b) Use a suitable fundamental theorem to express the rate of change of volume with respect to time.

(c) Find the function t = y(x) for the time for the water to flows out from the container until the container is empty (assume initially it is filled to depth x), by taking the speed of the water to be ##v=\sqrt{2gx}##

(d) Find the time function for container in the shape of a paraboloid of revolution with height X meters and radius R meters. Assume the tank opens up, like a typical bowl.

(e) The container in part (d) is filled to its maximum depth. What fraction of the total emptying time does it take for half the water to drain from the container?
Relevant Equations
Differentiation

Integration
(a)
$$V=\int_{0}^{x} A~dx$$
$$=\int_{0}^{x} f(u) dx , \text{u is dummy variable}$$

Is this the answer? Or there is something else I can do to continue the working?

(b)
$$\frac{dV}{dt}=\frac{d}{dt} \int_{0}^{x} f(u) dx=f(x).\frac{dx}{dt}$$

Is this correct?

(c)
$$\text{time}=\frac{\text{rate of change of volume}}{\text{area of hole} \times \text{speed}}$$
$$=\frac{\int_{0}^{x} f(u) dx}{p \sqrt{2gx}}$$

Can this be simplified further?

(d) I googled paraboloid of revolution to know the shape

1621921060334.png

So I need to find the equation of this shape to be able to find the time?

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
a) You cannot have ##x## as your integration variable at the same time as it is one of the boundaries of the integral. You will need to use a different variable for the integration variable.

b) It is difficult to judge whether your reasoning here is correct due to the issues with (a). The end result is correct.

c) This is not correct. You need to solve the differential equation in (b).

d) A paraboloid by definition has the form ##z = k r^2##.

Orodruin said:
a) You cannot have ##x## as your integration variable at the same time as it is one of the boundaries of the integral. You will need to use a different variable for the integration variable.
Ah yes, I suppose you mean ##dx## should be ##du##?

My teacher also said the same thing but without explanation. Can you tell me why integration variable can not be the same as boundary of the integral?

Orodruin said:
b) It is difficult to judge whether your reasoning here is correct due to the issues with (a). The end result is correct.
$$\frac{dV}{dt}=\frac{d}{dt} \int_{0}^{x}f(u)~du=f(x).\frac{dx}{dt}$$

Orodruin said:
c) This is not correct. You need to solve the differential equation in (b).
$$\int_{0}^{x}\frac{1}{f(b).\sqrt{2gb}}dV=\int_{0}^{t}dw$$
$$\text{where b and w are dummy variables to represent depth and time}$$

Is this what you mean? If yes, how to solve the integration in left hand side? The variable is ##b## but with respect to ##dV##

Thanks

songoku said:
My teacher also said the same thing but without explanation. Can you tell me why integration variable can not be the same as boundary of the integral?
You are integrating with respect to the integration variable, which is therefore a dummy variable that will disappear upon the integration. The ##x## is something that the entire expression depends upon.

songoku said:
$$\int_{0}^{x}\frac{1}{f(b).\sqrt{2gb}}dV=\int_{0}^{t}dw$$
$$\text{where b and w are dummy variables to represent depth and time}$$

Is this what you mean? If yes, how to solve the integration in left hand side? The variable is ##b## but with respect to ##dV##
I do not understand what you did for the second line, nor what ##b## is supposed to represent. You have an expression for ##dV/dt## as a function of ##x##. What you need to do is to insert that into the differential equation in the first line and solve the resulting separable differential equation.

Orodruin said:
I do not understand what you did for the second line, nor what ##b## is supposed to represent. You have an expression for ##dV/dt## as a function of ##x##. What you need to do is to insert that into the differential equation in the first line and solve the resulting separable differential equation.
$$\frac{dV}{dt}=f(x).\frac{dx}{dt}$$
$$\frac{dV}{f(x).\frac{dx}{dt}}=dt$$
$$\frac{dV}{f(x).v}=dt$$
$$\frac{dV}{f(x)\sqrt{2gx}}=dt$$

then integrate both sides.

This is what I did, although I am not sure that this is what you meant.

Do I need to use the area of hole at the bottom of the container (which is ##p ~ m^2##)? I thought I need to use that to find the time for the water to flow out from that hole so I substituted ##f(x)## to ##p##

Thanks

1. How does water flow out of a container with a hole at the bottom?

Water will flow out of a container with a hole at the bottom due to the force of gravity. The water in the container is at a higher level than the hole, so it will naturally flow downwards through the hole.

2. Why does the water level decrease in a container with a hole at the bottom?

The water level decreases in a container with a hole at the bottom because the water is flowing out of the container through the hole. As more and more water flows out, the level of the remaining water decreases.

3. Does the size of the hole affect the rate of water flow in a container?

Yes, the size of the hole does affect the rate of water flow in a container. A larger hole will allow more water to flow out at a faster rate, while a smaller hole will restrict the flow of water.

4. What happens if the hole in the container is blocked?

If the hole in the container is blocked, the water will not be able to flow out and the water level will remain the same. This is because the force of gravity is no longer able to push the water out through the hole.

5. Can the water flow out of a container with a hole at the bottom if it is turned upside down?

No, the water will not flow out of a container with a hole at the bottom if it is turned upside down. This is because the force of gravity is now working against the water, keeping it inside the container instead of allowing it to flow out through the hole.