What Is the Bravais Lattice Type and Miller Indices of This Crystal?

The Bravais lattice type of this crystal is hexagonal and the Miller indices are (1,1,2). The primitive unit cell volume is 13.5 and the conventional unit cell volume is 81.
lovephy85

Homework Statement

A crystal has a basis of one atom per lattice point and a set of primitive translation vectors of

a = 3i, b = 3j, c = 1.5(i+j+k)

where i,j,k are unit vectors in the x,y,z directions of a Cartesian coordinate system. What is the Bravais lattice type of this crystal what is miller indices? and what are the volumes of the primitive and conventional unit cells?

Homework Equations

Primitive unit cell volume V = a . (b x c) but in this state a not perpendicular with b,c

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm slightly unsure about these Bravais lattices given the multiple permutations they can seem to take.

My assumption, as is that it's Hexagonal. However that also requires that , where gamma is the angle between a,b, alpha between b,c, beta between c,a. But that seems to contradict that the a,b vectors are in i,j directions, ie at 90 degrees. Am I missing something here!?
and miller indices 112

I've worked out the primitive unit cell volume to be 13.5, however I'm also at a loss how to calculate the conventional unit cell volume...

Any help would be hugely appreciated

Physics news on Phys.org
You have asked this in another thread, you shouldn't repost the same question
https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=348243

Primitive unit cells contain only one lattice point, conventional unit cells do not. If you have the primitive unit cell volume, then the conventional unit cell volume is [tex]n[/tex] times bigger, where [tex]n[/tex] is the number of lattice points in the conventional unit cell.

Last edited:

1. What is solid state?

Solid state refers to the physical state of matter in which the particles are closely packed and have strong forces of attraction between them, resulting in a fixed shape and volume.

2. What are some examples of solid state materials?

Some examples of solid state materials include metals, ceramics, and most minerals. Solid state materials can also be found in everyday objects such as wood, plastic, and glass.

3. How is solid state different from other states of matter?

Solid state differs from other states of matter in terms of the arrangement of particles and the strength of intermolecular forces. In solid state, particles are tightly packed and have strong forces of attraction, whereas in liquid and gas states, particles are more spread out and have weaker forces between them.

4. What are the properties of solid state materials?

The properties of solid state materials include high density, fixed shape and volume, low compressibility, and rigidity. They also have a definite melting point and are generally good conductors of heat and electricity.

5. How is solid state studied in science?

Solid state is studied in science through the field of solid state physics, which focuses on the physical and chemical properties of solids. Techniques such as X-ray diffraction, thermal analysis, and microscopy are used to analyze the structure and behavior of solid state materials.