Question of centre of mass and parallel axis theorem

In summary, the center of mass of the system is moving and each puck has an angular momentum about the center of mass.
tubworld
A puck of mass 80.0 g and radius 4.20 cm slides along an air table at a speed of 1.50 m/s. It makes a glancing collision with a second puck of radius 6.00 cm and mass 140.0 g (initially at rest) such that their rims just touch. Because their rims are coated with instant-acting glue, the pucks stick together and spin after the collision.

How do i find the angular momentum of the system relative to the centre of the mass? I have found the centre of mass already. It's 10.7cm from the perimeter of the small puck.

Physics news on Phys.org
Firstly

Consider the distance of the centre of gravity from the centre of the first (moving puck) that might help

Last edited:
I have already calculated that distance and it is 10.7 cm from the small puck! From here, I used the formula angular velocity=linear velocity/ radius = 1.5 / 0.107 =14.0 rad/s. From here I calculated the moment of inertia of the 2 pucks = 0.0008522. Thus I will get the angular momentum which is the product of the two answers above = 0.0119. Is this the right answer?

tubworld said:
How do i find the angular momentum of the system relative to the centre of the mass? I have found the centre of mass already. It's 10.7cm from the perimeter of the small puck.
Realize that the COM of the system is moving. If we let the direction of motion be along the horizontal, then what you've found is the vertical coordinate of the COM. Calculate the speed of the COM, then view the speeds of the incoming pucks from that reference frame. Each puck will have an angular momentum about the COM. Just add them up.

Ermm... ... any help in the first steps for the first particle? I try doing the second one by myself. Just help me out with the first particle.. Thanx!

Start by finding the speed of the center of mass.

talking abt the linear speed right?

That's right. If you want to find the angular momentum with respect to the center of mass, you'll need to measure the speed of each puck with respect to the center of mass. But first you should find the speed of the center of mass itself.

but u mean finding the linear speed abt the centre of mass before the 2 bodies even get stuck or what? cos their centre of mass is different as only 1 particle was moving initially...

Pls Help@ Urgent! Thanx!

Yes, find the speed of the center of mass before the collision. (Which is the same as the speed of the center of mass after the collision, since no external force acts on the system.)

Since only 1 particule is moving, the linear KE = 1/2 mv^2. But again, who do we find the sped of the centre of mass. At this pt in time, the centre of mass of the SYSTEM isn't moving. it only moves rotationally after itwas hit by the small puck. So wldnt the speed be zero? only the small puck has the speed it needed.

The center of mass of the system is most definitely moving! If both pucks were stationary, then the center of mass would not move. But since the center of mass of the system depends on the position of both pucks, as one puck moves the center of mass also moves.

Big hint:
Horizontal position of center of mass:
[tex]M_{total} x_{cm} = m_1 x_1 + m_2 x_2[/tex]

Horizontal speed of center of mass:
[tex]M_{total} v_{cm} = m_1 v_1 + m_2 v_2[/tex]

ur x here is measured relative to?

x is the horizontal position relative to whatever origin you like, as long as it's fixed with respect to the table.

Oh yeah I got that thks! But its really darn long... .. :(

Related to Question of centre of mass and parallel axis theorem

1. What is the definition of centre of mass?

The centre of mass is the point at which the entire mass of an object can be considered to be concentrated, and it behaves as if all the mass is concentrated at that point.

2. How is the centre of mass calculated?

The centre of mass is calculated by finding the weighted average of the positions of all the parts of an object, where the weights are the masses of the parts.

3. What is the significance of the centre of mass?

The centre of mass is significant because it is the point at which an object will balance, and it also acts as the point of application for the force of gravity on the object.

4. What is the parallel axis theorem?

The parallel axis theorem states that the moment of inertia of an object about an axis parallel to its centre of mass is equal to the moment of inertia about the object's centre of mass plus the product of the mass of the object and the square of the distance between the two axes.

5. How is the parallel axis theorem used in real-life scenarios?

The parallel axis theorem is used in various engineering and physics applications, such as calculating the moment of inertia of a rotating object, analyzing the stability of structures, and designing vehicles and machinery with efficient weight distribution.