Question regarding surface and volume integral

Because this integral is sum of all forces that are perpendicular to that surface. And in this case there are no such forces. In summary, the article discusses the Helmholtz decomposition theorem and the use of the Kelvin-Stokes theorem to transform volume integrals to surface integrals. The proof of the theorem involves showing that certain integrals approach zero as the distance between points approaches infinity. This is due to the function becoming zero at infinity, and the divergence of zero being zero. However, the volume integral may not approach zero because it contains the function, which is not zero. This is the reason why the use of the Kelvin-Stokes theorem is necessary to transform the integral to a surface integral, which does approach zero as
yungman
In page 3 of this articlehttp://faculty.uml.edu/cbaird/95.657%282012%29/Helmholtz_Decomposition.pdf

I have two question:

I use ##\vec r## for ##\vec x## and ##\vec r'## for ##\vec x'## in the article.
[tex]\vec F(\vec r)=\frac {1}{4\pi}\nabla\left[\int_{v'}\nabla'\cdot\left(\frac{\vec F(\vec r')}{|\vec r-\vec r'|}\right)d\tau'-\int_{v'}\frac{\nabla'\cdot \vec F(\vec r')}{|\vec r-\vec r'|}d\tau'\right]+\frac {1}{4\pi}\nabla\times\left[-\int_{v'}\nabla'\times\left(\frac{\vec F(\vec r')}{|\vec r-\vec r'|}\right)d\tau'+\int_{v'}\frac{\nabla'\times \vec F(\vec r')}{|\vec r-\vec r'|}d\tau'\right][/tex]

(1) it said
[tex]\frac {1}{4\pi}\nabla\int_{v'}\nabla'\cdot\left(\frac{\vec F(\vec r')}{|\vec r-\vec r'|}\right)d\tau'=\int_{s'}\left(\frac{\vec F(\vec r')}{|\vec r-\vec r'|}\right)\cdot d\vec s'[/tex]
where this term goes to zero as ##|\vec r-\vec r'|\rightarrow\;\infty##. But not the ##\int_{v'}\frac{\nabla'\cdot \vec F(\vec r')}{|\vec r-\vec r'|}d\tau'##. Why is this true?

(2)Also it said using a version of Stokes theorem to change the third term ##\int_{v'}\nabla'\times\left(\frac{\vec F(\vec r')}{|\vec r-\vec r'|}\right)d\tau' ## to a surface integral and it will goes to zero as ##|\vec r-\vec r'|\rightarrow\;\infty##. I don't know a version of Stokes theorem that change from a volume integral to surface integral.

Please help.

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
Likes 1 person
SteamKing said:
In answer to your Question 2, the Kelvin-Stokes Theorem is a general restatement of the Divergence Theorem and Green's Theorem all in one:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stokes'_theorem

Thanks for the reply. I really don't understand manifolds. Can you write out what ##\int_{v'}\nabla'\times\left(\frac{\vec F(\vec r')}{|\vec r-\vec r'|}\right)d\tau' ## equal to and explain how that become zero?

Thanks

Forget manifolds. In the Wiki, imagine that Ʃ refers to a surface S and that ∂Ʃ refers to a closed curve C, just like what is shown in the pitcher.

I'm not going to try to explain why your integral goes to zero. To be polite about it, that's your task, and I don't pretend to understand fully your original problem.

I'll try to answer your questions, but have in mind that English is not my native language.
1)Volume integral doesn't have to go to zero, it could be but doesn't have to. It could be just some constant, and derivative of a const is 0.
2) I'm not completely sure about this one, but I would suggest that you try to express interger as a divergence of some other function and its easy from that point to make from it surface integral.

SteamKing said:
Forget manifolds. In the Wiki, imagine that Ʃ refers to a surface S and that ∂Ʃ refers to a closed curve C, just like what is shown in the pitcher.

I'm not going to try to explain why your integral goes to zero. To be polite about it, that's your task, and I don't pretend to understand fully your original problem.

Then
[tex] \iint_{\Sigma} \nabla \times \mathbf{F} \cdot d\mathbf{\Sigma} = \oint_{\partial\Sigma} \mathbf{F} \cdot d \mathbf{r}[/tex]
is just
[tex]\int_{s'}\nabla\times\vec F\cdot d\vec s'=\oint_{c}\vec F\cdot d\vec l[/tex]
That is just simple Stokes theorem from a closed surface to a closed line integral! But in my question, it is transforming from a VOLUME integral to a surface integral using a "generalized Stoke Theorem"! That is how to transform the following to a surface integral and become zero as the article indicates:
[tex]\int_{v'}\nabla'\times\left(\frac{\vec F(\vec r')}{|\vec r-\vec r'|}\right)d\tau'[/tex]

Regarding to surface integral equal to zero as ##|\vec r-\vec r'|\rightarrow\;\infty##:
[tex]\frac {1}{4\pi}\nabla\int_{v'}\nabla'\cdot\left(\frac{\vec F(\vec r')}{|\vec r-\vec r'|}\right)d\tau'=\int_{s'}\left(\frac{\vec F(\vec r')}{|\vec r-\vec r'|}\right)\cdot d\vec s'[/tex]
where this term goes to zero as ##|\vec r-\vec r'|\rightarrow\;\infty##.

I am thinking the reason this goes to zero because the frunction ##\left(\frac{\vec F(\vec r')}{|\vec r-\vec r'|}\right) ## goes to zero as ##|\vec r-\vec r'|\rightarrow\;\infty##. Then the divergence of zero is zero.

But the ##\int_{v'}\frac{\nabla'\cdot \vec F(\vec r')}{|\vec r-\vec r'|}d\tau'## is not zero because as long as the volume contain the function, no matter if the volume extends to infinity, its still contain the function. As long as the function is not zero, the volume integral is not zero no matter how big the volume extends to.

Am I correct? I really just want to follow the proof of Helmholtz theorem. I've been searching through a lot of articles and even went on youtube. There is always something very funny about the derivation here and there. Most I understand, but not agree.

Last edited:
Regarding to surface integral equal to zero as ##|\vec r-\vec r'|\rightarrow\;\infty##:
where this term goes to zero as ##|\vec r-\vec r'|\rightarrow\;\infty##.

I am thinking the reason this goes to zero because the frunction ##\left(\frac{\vec F(\vec r')}{|\vec r-\vec r'|}\right) ## goes to zero as ##|\vec r-\vec r'|\rightarrow\;\infty##. Then the divergence of zero is zero.

I don't think this is true. This function is some vector field. And surface integral of some vector field is not 0 if force lines of that field go through that surface. And in this case this surface is in ∞ so it contains whole space so there is no interceptions between force lines of this function and surface. And that's the reason why this integral is 0.

I think the point of the Stokes transformation was a reduction in the order of the calculation, to move from evaluating the vector functions over a volume to evaluating them over a surface instead. In a way, it is analogous to using Green's Theorem in the Plane to convert a double integral evaluated over some plane region into an equivalent line integral which can be evaluated over the boundary of the plane region. It's advantageous because it is easier to describe a curve than a 2-dimensional region.

SteamKing said:
I think the point of the Stokes transformation was a reduction in the order of the calculation, to move from evaluating the vector functions over a volume to evaluating them over a surface instead. In a way, it is analogous to using Green's Theorem in the Plane to convert a double integral evaluated over some plane region into an equivalent line integral which can be evaluated over the boundary of the plane region. It's advantageous because it is easier to describe a curve than a 2-dimensional region.

Yes, I understand this, problem is in the article, the equation is a volume integral, how can you reduce
[tex]\int_{v'}\nabla'\times\left(\frac{\vec F(\vec r')}{|\vec r-\vec r'|}\right)d\tau'[/tex]
to a surface integral?

Djokara said:
I don't think this is true. This function is some vector field. And surface integral of some vector field is not 0 if force lines of that field go through that surface. And in this case this surface is in ∞ so it contains whole space so there is no interceptions between force lines of this function and surface. And that's the reason why this integral is 0.

I don't think so either. I am just making a wild guess as I totally run out of ideas. Steamking want me to at least try, so I just try! ##\vec F(\vec r)## is not specified like electric field ##\vec E=\frac {q}{4\pi\epsilon_0 r^2}## that I can say something about ##\vec E\propto \frac 1 {r^2}##. Not to mention even surface integral of the divergence of E is only proportion to 1/r only. So I have absolutely no idea.

Thanks for you reply.

Last edited:
SteamKing said:

I found the solution of this one:
[tex]\int_{v'}\nabla'\times\left(\frac{\vec F(\vec r')}{|\vec r-\vec r'|}\right)d\tau'=\int_{s'}\left(\frac{\vec F(\vec r')}{|\vec r-\vec r'|}\right)\times d\vec s'[/tex]

It just happened it is one of the exercise problem in Griffiths and I know how to derive the equation already.

So now, the only remain question is how do I proof the two surface integral is zero when extend the surface to infinity. As I explained in the last post, I don't know ##\vec F## whether it is proportion to ##\frac {1}{r^2}## like the electric field, even ##\int_{v'}\nabla\cdot\vec E \;dv'=\int_{s'}\vec E\cdot d\vec s'=\frac {\rho}{\epsilon}## which is not zero no matter how far the surface extends to. I have no idea why the integral is zero at infinity.

Thanks

Last edited:

1. What is the difference between surface and volume integrals?

Surface integrals are used to calculate the total amount of a function over a given surface, while volume integrals are used to calculate the total amount of a function over a given volume.

2. How are surface and volume integrals used in real-world applications?

Surface integrals are commonly used in physics and engineering to calculate flux, or the flow of a vector field through a surface. Volume integrals are used in many physical applications, such as calculating mass, center of mass, and moment of inertia.

3. What is the formula for calculating a surface integral?

The formula for a surface integral is ∫∫S F(x,y,z) dS, where F(x,y,z) is the function being integrated and dS is the differential element of the surface S.

4. How do you set up a double integral for calculating a volume integral?

To set up a double integral for calculating a volume integral, you must first determine the limits of integration for each variable (x, y, and z) based on the boundaries of the given volume. Then, the double integral is written as ∫∫∫V F(x,y,z) dV, where F(x,y,z) is the function being integrated and dV is the differential element of the volume V.

5. What are some common applications of Green's Theorem and Stokes' Theorem?

Green's Theorem is often used in physics and engineering to calculate line integrals over a closed curve, such as in the calculation of work done by a force. Stokes' Theorem is commonly used in vector calculus to relate surface integrals to line integrals, and is particularly useful in electrostatics and fluid mechanics.