Decomposition of Sucrose: Understanding the Rate and Order of Reaction

• Chemistry
  • Thread starter i_love_science
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Decomposition
In summary, the conversation discusses a possible first order reaction based on the linear plot of ln[C12H22O11] vs. time. The k value is the negative of the slope, which leads to the answer of rate = -0.45 hr-1 [C12H22O11]. However, there is confusion around the definition of "rate of reaction" and the possibility of a misprint in the exponent of the rate law.
i_love_science
Homework Statement
In an acid solution, sucrose (C12H22O11) will decompose into fructose and glucose. A plot of ln[C12H22O11] versus time gives a straight line with a slope of -0.45 hr^(-1). What is the rate law for this decomposition reaction?
Relevant Equations
rate law
I think this is a first order reaction because ln[C12H22O11] vs. time is linear. The k value is the negative of the slope. Therefore, my answer is rate = 0.45 hr-1 [C12H22O11].

The correct solution is rate = -0.45 hr-1 [C12H22O11]0. I don't understand why this is a zero order reaction, or why the k value is -0.45. Is the solution wrong? Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
It depends how you define "rate of reaction". The rate law is
d[sucrose]/dt = -k[sucrose]
Then it depends whether you define "rate" as d[sucrose]/dt or -d[sucrose]/dt
Note that the question as you quote it asks for the rate law, not the rate. Is it you that's defining "rate"?
You are right that a linear plot of lnC vs. t indicates a first order reaction. I suspect that the exponent 0 is a misprint.

Likes i_love_science
mjc123 said:
You are right that a linear plot of lnC vs. t indicates a first order reaction. I suspect that the exponent 0 is a misprint.
Or the lnC vs t should be just C vs t.

Possibly, but that wouldn't give a slope with units hr-1.

1. What is sucrose and why does it decompose?

Sucrose is a type of sugar commonly found in plants and used as a sweetener in food and drinks. It decomposes due to chemical reactions that break down the sucrose molecules into simpler compounds.

2. How is the rate of sucrose decomposition measured?

The rate of sucrose decomposition can be measured by monitoring the amount of sucrose remaining over time. This can be done by using techniques such as spectrophotometry or titration to determine the concentration of sucrose at different time intervals.

3. What factors affect the rate of sucrose decomposition?

The rate of sucrose decomposition can be affected by factors such as temperature, concentration of reactants, presence of catalysts, and pH. Higher temperatures, higher concentrations, and the presence of catalysts can increase the rate of decomposition, while lower pH levels can slow it down.

4. What is the order of reaction for sucrose decomposition?

The order of reaction for sucrose decomposition can vary depending on the conditions. In general, it is a first-order reaction, meaning that the rate of decomposition is directly proportional to the concentration of sucrose. However, in some cases, it may also exhibit zero-order or second-order behavior.

5. How is the rate constant (k) calculated for sucrose decomposition?

The rate constant (k) for sucrose decomposition can be calculated by using the rate equation, which relates the rate of decomposition to the concentration of sucrose and the order of reaction. The value of k can be determined experimentally by measuring the rate of decomposition at different concentrations and using the data to calculate the slope of a graph of ln(concentration) vs. time.