Question regarding u-substitution

• Thread starter Potatochip911
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation is about the use of trig substitution to solve an integral and the possibility of making a mistake when replacing dθ with dx. The conversation also includes a suggestion to use integration by parts to solve the integral. The expert summarizer advises to always check the differentiation to ensure the solution is correct.
Potatochip911

Homework Statement

I guess it's actually trig substitution...
To demonstrate I'll use the integral of $$ \int \dfrac{x \cdot \ln(x)}{\sqrt{x^2-1}} \cdot dx$$

Homework Equations

3. The Attempt at a Solution [/B]
$$ x=\sec\theta \\ dx=\sec\theta \cdot \tan\theta \\ \int \dfrac{\sec\theta \cdot \ln\sec\theta \cdot \sec\theta \cdot \tan\theta}{\sqrt{\sec^2\theta-1}} \cdot d\theta$$
$$ \int \sec^2\theta \cdot \ln\sec\theta \cdot d\theta $$
Everything in this equation is in terms of ## \sec\theta ## which is what I said x is equal to earlier. However, if I sub x back in for ##\sec\theta## and do integration by parts I end up getting the wrong answer. In the answer key they do the integration by parts with the ##\theta## variable and when they change back to x get a completely different answer than me.
For reference the answer I got was ## \dfrac{x^3 \cdot lnx}{3} - \dfrac{x^3}{9} + C ## and their answer is ## ln|x| \sqrt{x^2-1} - \sqrt{x^2-1} + arcsec(x)+ C ##
Okay so I think my mistake is that I did not replace ## d\theta ## in terms of ##dx##

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Potatochip911 said:

Homework Statement

To demonstrate I'll use the integral of $$ \int \dfrac{x \cdot \ln(x)}{\sqrt{x^2-1}} \cdot dx$$

Homework Equations

$$ x=\sec\theta \\ dx=\sec\theta \cdot \tan\theta \\ \int \dfrac{\sec\theta \cdot \ln\sec\theta \cdot \sec\theta \cdot \tan\theta}{\sqrt{\sec^2\theta-1}} \cdot d\theta$$
Everything in this equation is in terms of ## \sec\theta ## which is what I said x is equal to earlier. However, if I sub x back in for ##\sec\theta## and do integration by parts I end up getting the wrong answer. In the answer key they do the integration by parts with the ##\theta## variable and when they change back to x get a completely different answer than me.
For reference the answer I got was ## \dfrac{x^3 \cdot lnx}{3} - \dfrac{x^3}{9} + C ## and their answer is ## ln|x| \sqrt{x^2-1} - \sqrt{x^2-1} + arcsec(x)+ C ##
Okay so I think my mistake is that I did not replace ## d\theta ## in terms of ##dx##

If you are going to use integration by parts anyway, taking a detour thru the Trig Zone :eek: may not be the ideal approach for this integral.

Have you tried taking the integrand as is and finding a suitable u and dv for IBP?

Potatochip911 said:

Homework Statement

Homework Equations

Yes, forgetting to handle dθ with care would cause a problem.

As you might expect, that will simply change the integral back to its original form.

SteamKing said:
If you are going to use integration by parts anyway, taking a detour thru the Trig Zone :eek: may not be the ideal approach for this integral.

Have you tried taking the integrand as is and finding a suitable u and dv for IBP?
Yea although I personally find it easier to integrate after using substitutions to get rid of the roots.

Potatochip911 said:
Yea although I personally find it easier to integrate after using substitutions to get rid of the roots.

Looks like there's roots in the book's solution. :rolleyes:

In any event, you should always differentiate what you obtain for the integral (or even what the book says) to check that it returns the original integrand. :wink:

Related to Question regarding u-substitution

1. What is u-substitution in calculus?

U-substitution is a technique used in calculus to simplify integrals by substituting a new variable, u, for the original variable in the integrand. This allows for easier integration and can help solve more complex integrals.

2. When should I use u-substitution?

U-substitution is most commonly used when the integrand contains a composite function, such as f(g(x)). It can also be used when the integrand contains a product or quotient of functions. U-substitution can also be helpful when trying to integrate trigonometric functions.

3. How do I choose the u-value for u-substitution?

The u-value should be chosen based on the chain rule, where u is the inner function and du is the derivative of the inner function multiplied by dx. In some cases, it may also be helpful to choose u based on patterns or common substitutions for certain types of integrals.

4. Can u-substitution be used for definite integrals?

Yes, u-substitution can be used for both indefinite and definite integrals. When using u-substitution for a definite integral, the limits of integration must also be changed to match the new variable u.

5. Are there any limitations to u-substitution?

U-substitution may not always work for solving integrals, as it is only applicable to certain types of functions. It is important to recognize when u-substitution is not a viable option and use other integration techniques instead. Additionally, u-substitution may not always result in a simpler integral, making it more difficult to solve.