Questions About Calc for Life and Social Sciences?

• Courses
  • Thread starter Pesto Pizza
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Life
In summary, the conversation discusses the Calc AB and Calc for Life and Social Sciences courses. The speaker is unsure of what to expect in the new class and if the AB course was an appropriate preparation. It is suggested that the Calc BC course may be a better fit and that the Calc for Life and Social Sciences course may be less rigorous. The speaker is taking the class for transferable units and is a recent high school graduate. They are unsure of their calculus skills and hope the class will solidify their knowledge. It is mentioned that if the speaker received college credit for the AB class, the Calc for Life and Social Sciences class may be repetitive.
Pesto Pizza
I recently took Calc AB and have signed up for Calc for Life and Social sciences.
Can someone tell what to expect in my new class and if AB is/was an appropriate prep. class?

Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
Calculus for Life and Social Sciences will probably be a less rigorous presentation of calculus than you received in the Calc AB course. If the Calc BC course is available I would advise that you take that instead.

Are you moving on to college? If so, then calculus II would be a good fit.

Ah, okay. The class I'm taking has transferable units so that's why I'm taking it. And yes, I just finished high school and am taking a couple of classes at the community college.

I was a bit unsure of my calc skills so hopefully this class will cement the knowledge in my brain better.

Thanks for the replies.

Did you pass your calculus AB class and get college credit for it? If so, taking the Calculus for Life and Social Sciences might be a little too repetitive, unless you're extremely unsure of your calculus skills.

I passed with a B, but i didn't take the AP exams so no college credits.

Related to Questions About Calc for Life and Social Sciences?

1. What is the purpose of studying Calculus for life and social sciences?

Calculus is a branch of mathematics that deals with rates of change and accumulation. For life and social sciences, it is used to model real-life situations and make predictions. It is essential in understanding how systems and processes work, making it relevant in fields such as biology, economics, and psychology.

2. Is Calculus difficult to learn for those who are not mathematically inclined?

While Calculus can be challenging, it is possible to learn with dedication and practice. It is important to have a strong foundation in algebra and trigonometry before delving into Calculus. With the right resources and a positive attitude, anyone can learn and understand the concepts of Calculus.

3. How is Calculus applied in life and social sciences?

Calculus is applied in life and social sciences to analyze and understand various phenomena. In biology, it can be used to model population growth and the spread of diseases. In economics, it is used to study consumer behavior and market trends. In psychology, it can be used to analyze brain activity and behavior.

4. Are there any real-life examples that demonstrate the importance of Calculus in life and social sciences?

Yes, there are many real-life examples that demonstrate the importance of Calculus in life and social sciences. One example is the use of Calculus in predicting the path of a hurricane or other natural disasters. Another example is the use of Calculus in understanding the spread of a virus and making decisions about public health measures.

5. Can Calculus be useful for non-scientific fields?

Yes, Calculus has many applications in non-scientific fields as well. For example, in finance, it is used to calculate interest rates and make investment decisions. In architecture, it is used to design structures and determine load-bearing capacities. In music, it is used to analyze sound waves and create digital audio effects.