Quotable literature electric field at wire tips?

In summary, the conversation discusses the search for a source that describes the electrical field between two opposing wire tips with a small gap between them. The context includes a discussion of the problem and potential idealizations, as well as the level and background of the person searching for the source. A script and a forum thread are mentioned as potential sources, but a peer-reviewed journal paper is preferred. The conversation also mentions the possibility of simplifying the situation as capacitor plates or a point dipole, and provides a link to a relevant script. The person searching has a medical background and limited knowledge on the topic.
JoaMei

Homework Statement

Does anybody know where to find a source that describes the electrical field between two opposing wire tips with a small gap between them?

The problem is more or less finding a quotable source, not so much solving the problem.

Homework Equations

Not relevant now.

The Attempt at a Solution

Not relevant now.

Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF.
Do you need actual peer-reviewed papers or just a source that tells you how to do it?
Define "small"? Small enough that the ends can be treated as parallel plates? Any idealizations we need to know about? What level is this for? Context?

Note: your attempt at a solutions is relevant - where have you looked? What did you find there? You should make the attempt.

Some hints: a small gap between the ends of two wires is sometimes called a "spark gap" and sometimes an "inter-electrode space".

So far I found a script describing the field on a single line charge tip. By superposition of two I should have a solution.

There is a thread about this here: https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=569512

But I can't quote this forum... :wink:

The situation I try to describe can be under some conditions simplified as capacitor plates, and under others as point dipole. There is plenty of information about these cases.

I have a more medical related background so my knowledege about this topic is limited.

This is for a paper I prepare from my bachelor thesis, a peer reviewed journal paper as a source would be the best solution.

This is the script I found (Example 2.2): web.mit.edu/viz/EM/visualizations/notes/modules/guide02.pdf

(Cant post a link right now, as there is a 10 post requirement before that here it seems.)

Last edited:

1. What is a quotable literature electric field?

A quotable literature electric field is a term used to describe the electric field generated at the tips of wires, which has been studied and referenced in various literary works.

2. How is the electric field at wire tips measured?

The electric field at wire tips can be measured using various techniques such as electrical probes or simulations using mathematical models.

3. What factors affect the electric field at wire tips?

The electric field at wire tips can be affected by factors such as the shape and material of the wire, the voltage applied, and the distance between the wires.

4. Why is the electric field at wire tips important?

The electric field at wire tips is important because it plays a significant role in the behavior and performance of electronic devices, and also has applications in fields such as nanotechnology and biomedical engineering.

5. What are some practical applications of the electric field at wire tips?

The electric field at wire tips has practical applications in various industries, such as in the design of high voltage power lines, in the development of nanoscale sensors and transistors, and in medical devices for imaging and treatment.