Radial movement in a gravitational field

In summary, the conversation discusses the difficulty of finding a decent explanation for the 1-body radial movement in a (Newtonian) gravitational field problem. The equations for the total energy and the particle's position are derived and it is shown that the problem requires clever calculus to solve. A professor suggests using Kepler's laws and considering a narrow orbit to simplify the problem. Ultimately, a specific case is given for the particle falling from an infinite distance and from rest, which allows for r(t) to be calculated.
haushofer
Science Advisor
Insights Author
Dear all,
to keep me busy on a Sunday I considered the "1-body radial movement in a (Newtonian) gravitational field problem". I was a bit surprised to find it quite hard finding decent explanations on it. My question is: does anyone have a reference of the explicit solution to the particle's position ##r(t)##? Let me show my calculation:

We consider a particle with mass m being attracted by a mass M >> m in a gravitational field. We let it go at ##t=0## from a distance ##r(t)=r_b##. Newton's second law states

[tex]m\ddot{r} = - \frac{GMm}{r^2}[/tex]

We can integrate this equation to find the total energy,

[tex]E = \frac{m}{2}\dot{r}^2 - \frac{GMm}{r} \ \ \ \ \ (1) [/tex]

which is conserved on-shell (by Newton's second law),

[tex] \dot{E} = (m\ddot{r} + \frac{GMm}{r^2}) \dot{r} = 0[/tex]

I want to solve for the particle's position ##r(t)## using the energy. For that I rewrite eqn.(1) as

[tex]\dot{r} = - \frac{\sqrt{2Er + 2GMm}}{\sqrt{mr}} [/tex]

choosing the minus-sign because the particle's position ##r(t)## decreases. Now we separate variables:

[tex]\int_{r_b}^{r} \frac{\sqrt{r}}{\sqrt{Er+GMm}}dr = -\sqrt{\frac{2}{m}} \int_0^t dt[/tex]

The integral can be solved by using the "standard" primitive

[tex]\int \frac{\sqrt{x}}{\sqrt{x+a}}dx = \sqrt{x^2 + ax} - a \ln{|\sqrt{x} + \sqrt{x+a} |} + C [/tex]

with ##a## constant and C the integration constant:

[tex]\Bigl[\sqrt{r^2+ar} - a \ln{|\sqrt{r}+\sqrt{r+a}|} \Bigr] - \Bigl[\sqrt{r^2_b+a r_b} - a \ln{|\sqrt{r_b}+\sqrt{r_b+a}|} \Bigr] = - \sqrt{\frac{2E}{m}} t [/tex]

where I defined

[tex]a \equiv \frac{GMm}{E} [/tex]

This gives us ##t(r)##.

I must say that, having not done this kind of stuff for a while, I'm a bit surprised that simple radial movement in the 1-body approximation already gives a nasty integral like this. My question is basically this: can I invert my relation to obtain ##r(t)##? Between ##r(t)=r_b## and ##r(t)=0## the function ##r(t)## should be invertible, right? And am I right to be surprised that the result is quite complicated, or did I make a mistake?Thanks in advance!

Likes Kninfinite and jerromyjon
Physics news on Phys.org
While I can't comment much on your work, the problem did remind me of one we did in Classical Physics.

We needed to show that a particle initially at rest and then falling from a great height to the Earth took 9/11 of the time to fall the first half of the journey. On the surface, it looks straightforward but then you must relate distance fallen to time fallen and then things get nasty.

After falling to solve it a prof gave us a hint to use Kepler's laws to simplify it namely the equal areas in equal times law and to consider a very narrow orbit and then the problem fell apart.

You did all the calculus correctly, but I agree it isn't very satisfying, not being able to invert it to get r as a function of t. However, if you assume that the object falls from an infinite distance and from rest, E = 0. This simplifies the equations considerably leading to the result:

r(t) = ( rb3/2 - 3(√(GM/2)) t )2/3 .

I know you posted this several months ago, but I am a physics professor and I thought I'd give you a way to get r(t) if only for a specific case. - Bob

Likes haushofer

1. What is radial movement in a gravitational field?

Radial movement in a gravitational field refers to the motion of an object towards or away from the center of a gravitational field. This movement is determined by the strength and direction of the gravitational force acting on the object.

2. How does radial movement differ from tangential movement?

Radial movement involves the motion of an object along the radius of a gravitational field, while tangential movement involves the motion of an object perpendicular to the radius. In other words, radial movement is towards or away from the center, while tangential movement is around the center.

3. What is the relationship between radial movement and gravitational force?

Radial movement is directly influenced by the strength of the gravitational force. The stronger the gravitational force, the faster an object will move towards the center of the gravitational field. Similarly, a weaker gravitational force will result in slower radial movement.

4. How does radial movement affect orbits?

Radial movement plays a crucial role in the formation and maintenance of orbits. The balance between the radial (towards the center) and tangential (perpendicular to the radius) movements of an object results in a stable orbit around the center of the gravitational field.

5. Can radial movement be altered or controlled?

Yes, radial movement can be altered or controlled by changing the strength of the gravitational force or by applying other external forces on the object. For example, rockets use thrust to change the radial movement of a spacecraft in order to enter or exit orbit around a planet.