Radiative/Convective Boundary Conditions for Heat Equation

In summary, the conversation discusses creating a computer program to solve the transient 3d heat equation using the Crank Nicolson method. The speaker is looking for guidance on how to incorporate convection and radiation into their model and how to handle boundary conditions. They suggest using a Neumann condition and a central difference approximation for the derivative at the boundary. They also ask for clarification on how to replace nodes in the Crank Nicolson FD scheme for the boundary and if the process needs to be repeated for each time step.
sharpybox
Hi everyone,
I'm attempting to create a computer program to solve the transient 3d heat equation using the Crank Nicolson method.
I would like to model the boundaries of my domain as losing heat via convection and radiation due to the temperature difference between the boundary and the air in which the system I am modelling resides, but would like to check i have the correct method for incorporating these modes of heat transfer into my model.

At the moment for each internal node I have the following finite difference scheme:

(1+6[itex]\mu)[/itex][itex]T^{t+1}_{i,j,k}[/itex] - μ([itex]T^{t+1}_{i+1,j,k}[/itex] + [itex]T^{t+1}_{i-1,j,k}[/itex] + [itex]T^{t+1}_{i,j+1,k}[/itex]+[itex]T^{t+1}_{i,j-1,k}[/itex]+[itex]T^{t+1}_{i,j,k+1}[/itex] + [itex]T^{t+1}_{i,j,k-1}[/itex]) = (1-6[itex]\mu[/itex])[itex]T^{t}_{i,j,k}[/itex] - μ([itex]T^{t}_{i+1,j,k}[/itex] + [itex]T^{t}_{i-1,j,k}[/itex] + [itex]T^{t}_{i,j+1,k}[/itex]+[itex]T^{t}_{i,j-1,k}[/itex]+[itex]T^{t}_{i,j,k+1}[/itex] + [itex]T^{t}_{i,j,k-1}[/itex])

Where T represents the temperature field and [itex]\mu[/itex] = [itex]\frac{tα}{2h^{2}}[/itex] (t = time step, α = thermal diffusivity and h = step size in x/y/z dimensions).

As I understand it this type of boundary condition is a Neumann condition and can be represented by (assuming a 1d case along the x=0 boundary):

-k[itex]\frac{\partial T}{\partial x}[/itex] = hc(T-[itex]T_{a}[/itex]) + [itex]\epsilon[/itex][itex]\sigma[/itex]([itex]T^{4}[/itex]-[itex]T^{4}_{a}[/itex])
(hc = convective heat transfer coefficient, k = thermal conductivity, ε = emissivity, σ = Stefan Boltzmann constant, T = node temperature and [itex]t_{a}[/itex] is the ambient temperature.)

Applying a central difference approximation to the derivative at node [itex]T_{0,j,k}[/itex] yields:
-k[itex]\frac{T^{t}_{1,j,k} - T^{t}_{-1,j,k}}{2h}[/itex] = hc(T-[itex]T_{a}[/itex]) + [itex]\epsilon[/itex][itex]\sigma[/itex]([itex]T^{4}[/itex]-[itex]T^{4}_{a}[/itex])

[itex]T^{t}_{-1,j,k}[/itex] = [itex]\frac{2h(hc * (T^{t}_{0,j,k} - T_{a}) + \epsilon \sigma (T^{4t}_{0,j,k} - T^{4}_{a})}{-k}[/itex]

Am I correct in thinking that the statement above is then substituted into the original Crank Nicolson FD scheme quoted earlier in place of the [itex]T_{i-1,j,k}[/itex] node for this boundary? Is the method the same when considering the x = maximum boundary when it is the [itex]T_{i+1,j,k}[/itex] node that needs replacing?
And finally is it necessary to repeat the process at the t+1th time step as well as the time t?
Thanks for your help

Physics news on Phys.org
It is possible to obtain the value of the derivative on the boundary if this is helpful to you.

What is the heat equation and how does it relate to radiative/convective boundary conditions?

The heat equation is a partial differential equation that describes the transfer of heat in a given system. It relates to radiative/convective boundary conditions by incorporating them as boundary conditions in the equation, which affects the heat flow at the boundaries of the system.

What are radiative/convective boundary conditions and how do they differ?

Radiative boundary conditions involve the transfer of heat through radiation, where energy is emitted in the form of electromagnetic waves. Convective boundary conditions involve the transfer of heat through the movement of fluids, such as air or water. They differ in the mechanism of heat transfer at the boundary.

Why are radiative/convective boundary conditions important in the heat equation?

Radiative/convective boundary conditions are important because they represent real-world scenarios in which heat is transferred. In many systems, a combination of both types of boundary conditions may exist, and accurately incorporating them into the heat equation is crucial for understanding heat transfer in the system.

How are radiative/convective boundary conditions incorporated into the heat equation?

Radiative/convective boundary conditions are incorporated by adding terms to the heat equation that account for the energy flux at the boundaries. For radiative conditions, this involves the use of the Stefan-Boltzmann law to calculate the radiation flux. For convective conditions, this involves considering the flow of the fluid and the heat transfer coefficient.

What are some examples of systems where radiative/convective boundary conditions are important?

Some examples include heat transfer in buildings, where both radiative and convective boundary conditions play a role, and industrial processes involving high temperatures, such as furnaces or boilers, where radiative boundary conditions dominate. Other examples include atmospheric and oceanic processes, where convective boundary conditions are important for understanding heat transfer and energy exchange.