Can Cubic Roots and Square Roots Combine to Equal One?

• MHB
  • Thread starter mathdad
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Radical
In summary, we were asked to prove that cbrt{2 + sqrt{5}} + cbrt{2 - sqrt{5}} = 1 without using a calculator. We used the fact that (a+b)^3 = a^3 + 3a^2b + 3ab^2 + b^3 and simplified the equation to get $\sqrt[3]{2+ \sqrt{5}}+\sqrt[3]{2- \sqrt{5}}=\frac{1+ \sqrt{5}}{2}+\frac{1- \sqrt{5}}{2}=1$. We also showed how to solve for x by letting $\sqrt[3]{2 + \sqrt{5}} +
mathdad
Let cbrt = cube root

Let sqrt = square root

Show that
cbrt{2 + sqrt{5}} + cbrt{2 - sqrt{5}} = 1 without using a calculator.

Can someone get me started?

Do I raise both sides to the third power as step 1?

Mathematics news on Phys.org
It holds that $$(a\pm b)^3=a^3\pm 3a^2b+3ab^2\pm b^3$$

We have the following:
\begin{align*}&\left(1\pm \sqrt{5}\right )^3=1\pm 3\sqrt{5}+3\cdot 5\pm \sqrt{5}^3 =1\pm 3\sqrt{5}+15\pm 5\sqrt{5} =16\pm 8\sqrt{5}=8\left (2\pm \sqrt{5}\right )\\ & \Rightarrow 2\pm \sqrt{5}=\frac{\left(1\pm \sqrt{5}\right )^3}{8} \\ & \Rightarrow \sqrt[3]{2\pm \sqrt{5}}=\sqrt[3]{\frac{\left(1\pm \sqrt{5}\right )^3}{8}} \\ & \Rightarrow \sqrt[3]{2\pm \sqrt{5}}=\frac{1\pm \sqrt{5}}{2}\end{align*}

Therefore we get $$\sqrt[3]{2+ \sqrt{5}}+\sqrt[3]{2- \sqrt{5}}=\frac{1+ \sqrt{5}}{2}+\frac{1- \sqrt{5}}{2}=1$$

RTCNTC said:
Let cbrt = cube root

Let sqrt = square root

Show that
cbrt{2 + sqrt{5}} + cbrt{2 - sqrt{5}} = 1 without using a calculator.

Can someone get me started?

Do I raise both sides to the third power as step 1?

you need to prove $\sqrt[3]{2 + \sqrt{5}} + \sqrt[3]{2 - \sqrt{5}} = 1$

you can let $\sqrt[3]{2 + \sqrt{5}} + \sqrt[3]{2 - \sqrt{5}} = x$ and cube both sides and see hat you get after solving it

mathmari said:
It holds that $$(a\pm b)^3=a^3\pm 3a^2b+3ab^2\pm b^3$$

We have the following:
\begin{align*}&\left(1\pm \sqrt{5}\right )^3=1\pm 3\sqrt{5}+3\cdot 5\pm \sqrt{5}^3 =1\pm 3\sqrt{5}+15\pm 5\sqrt{5} =16\pm 8\sqrt{5}=8\left (2\pm \sqrt{5}\right )\\ & \Rightarrow 2\pm \sqrt{5}=\frac{\left(1\pm \sqrt{5}\right )^3}{8} \\ & \Rightarrow \sqrt[3]{2\pm \sqrt{5}}=\sqrt[3]{\frac{\left(1\pm \sqrt{5}\right )^3}{8}} \\ & \Rightarrow \sqrt[3]{2\pm \sqrt{5}}=\frac{1\pm \sqrt{5}}{2}\end{align*}

Therefore we get $$\sqrt[3]{2+ \sqrt{5}}+\sqrt[3]{2- \sqrt{5}}=\frac{1+ \sqrt{5}}{2}+\frac{1- \sqrt{5}}{2}=1$$

Nicely done! This is not your typical radical equation problem. I could have easily used the wolfram website but this is like cheating. I like to work it out by hand and then check my answer using wolfram or mathway.com.

- - - Updated - - -

kaliprasad said:
you need to prove $\sqrt[3]{2 + \sqrt{5}} + \sqrt[3]{2 - \sqrt{5}} = 1$

you can let $\sqrt[3]{2 + \sqrt{5}} + \sqrt[3]{2 - \sqrt{5}} = x$ and cube both sides and see hat you get after solving it

I understand what you mean but where did x come from? The original equation is equated to 1 not x.

RTCNTC said:
Nicely done! This is not your typical radical equation problem. I could have easily used the wolfram website but this is like cheating. I like to work it out by hand and then check my answer using wolfram or mathway.com.

- - - Updated - - -
I understand what you mean but where did x come from? The original equation is equated to 1 not x.

you are supposed to prove that it is 1. you do not know it. so presume that it is x. then cube and remove redicals and solve for x.
it should come to be 1.

Thank you everyone.

What is a Radical Equation 2?

A Radical Equation 2 is an equation that contains a radical or a square root expression.

How do you solve a Radical Equation 2?

To solve a Radical Equation 2, you must isolate the radical term on one side of the equation and then square both sides to eliminate the radical. Repeat this process until the equation is simplified and the variable is isolated.

What are the common mistakes made when solving Radical Equation 2?

Some common mistakes when solving Radical Equation 2 include forgetting to square both sides of the equation, incorrectly distributing a square root, and forgetting to check for extraneous solutions.

Can there be more than one solution to a Radical Equation 2?

Yes, there can be more than one solution to a Radical Equation 2. It is important to check the solutions in the original equation to ensure they are valid.

How are Radical Equation 2 used in real life?

Radical Equation 2 can be used to solve real-life problems involving measurements, such as finding the length of a side in a right triangle or calculating the amount of medication needed for a patient based on their weight.