Radius of convergence of the power series (2x)^n/n

In summary: Therefore, the series converges when ##|x| < 1/2## and diverges when ##|x| > 1/2##. In summary, we use the ratio test to find the radius of convergence for a series. In this problem, the limit at infinity is found to be 1/2, meaning the series converges for values of x less than 1/2 and diverges for values greater than 1/2.
isukatphysics69

Homework Statement

in title

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

so i know that i have to use the ratio test but i just got completely stuck

((2x)n+1/(n+1)) / ((2x)n) / n )
((2x)n+1 * n) / ((2x)n) * ( n+1) )
((2x)n*(n)) / ((2x)1) * (n+1) )
now i take the limit at inf? i am stuck here i know i need to find x and do an inequality

Physics news on Phys.org
i made a mistake i see above, i think i have it now 1/2

isukatphysics69 said:

Homework Statement

in title
Please put the problem statement here, not in the thread title.
isukatphysics69 said:

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

so i know that i have to use the ratio test but i just got completely stuck

((2x)n+1/(n+1)) / ((2x)n) / n )
((2x)n+1 * n) / ((2x)n) * ( n+1) )
((2x)n*(n)) / ((2x)1) * (n+1) )
You have a mistake in the line above.
##\frac{(2x)^{n + 1}}{(2x)^n}## simplifies to 2x.

Also, in the ratio test you need to account for the fact that x can be negative. If you look at the description of this test in your textbook, you'll see that the limit is of the absolute values.
##\lim_{n \to \infty}\frac{|a_{n+1}|}{|a_n|}##

For your problem ##|a_n| = |\frac{(2x)^n} n|## which can be simplified to ##\frac{2^n} n |x|^n##
isukatphysics69 said:
now i take the limit at inf? i am stuck here i know i need to find x and do an inequality
isukatphysics69 said:
i made a mistake i see above, i think i have it now 1/2
Yes, R = 1/2

1. What is the definition of radius of convergence for a power series?

The radius of convergence for a power series is the distance from the center of convergence to the nearest point where the series diverges. It represents the interval of values for which the series will converge.

2. How is the radius of convergence calculated for a power series?

The radius of convergence is typically calculated using the ratio test or the root test. These tests involve taking the limit of the absolute value of the ratio or root of the terms in the series, respectively.

3. What is the significance of the radius of convergence?

The radius of convergence is important because it determines the interval of values for which the power series will converge. If a value falls within this interval, the series will converge and approximate the function it represents. If a value falls outside of this interval, the series will diverge and not provide a valid approximation.

4. Can the radius of convergence ever be negative?

No, the radius of convergence is always a positive value. This is because it represents a distance and cannot be negative. However, it is possible for the radius of convergence to be infinite, meaning the series converges for all values of the variable.

5. How does the radius of convergence affect the accuracy of the power series approximation?

A larger radius of convergence typically indicates that the power series will provide a more accurate approximation of the function it represents. This is because a larger interval of convergence means the series is able to capture more terms of the function and therefore provide a better approximation.