Ray transfer martix of interface

In summary, there are two different descriptions of the ray transfer matrix for interfaces in two textbooks. The first one, by A.E. Siegman in "Lasers", uses the paraxial approximation and the (y, nu) form for rays. The second one, by N. Hodgson in "Laser Resonators and Beam Propagation", may use a different ray notation. The difference between the two may be due to different understandings about the optical path.
nanguaa
I found two different descriptions about ray transfer martix of interface in two textbook. I am confused about this. which one is correct? I hope someone can help me.

A:Lasers, A.E.Siegman,pp586
B:Laser Resonators and Beam Propagation, N.Hodgson, pp16

Attachments

• A.E.jpg
    A.E.jpg
    36.9 KB · Views: 357
  • LR.jpg
    LR.jpg
    9.4 KB · Views: 346
Physics news on Phys.org
Siegman's is the one I am used to seeing- that is the refraction matrix written out using the paraxial approximation and the (y, nu) form for rays. I don't immediately see how to transform Siegman's into Hodgson's, but maybe Hodgson is using a different ray notation?

I check these two descriptions again, and I found that the difference may be caused by the understanding about optical path.

example:Plane Dielectric Slab

Attachments

• 2009-05-27_230959.jpg
    2009-05-27_230959.jpg
    5 KB · Views: 337

Related to Ray transfer martix of interface

What is a ray transfer matrix?

A ray transfer matrix is a mathematical tool used to describe the propagation of light through an optical system. It represents the transformation of a ray's position and direction as it passes through various optical elements such as lenses, mirrors, and interfaces.

How is the ray transfer matrix calculated?

The ray transfer matrix is calculated by multiplying individual matrices for each optical element in the system. These matrices describe how the position and direction of the ray change as it passes through the element. The resulting matrix represents the overall transformation of the ray through the system.

What is an interface in the context of ray transfer matrices?

In the context of ray transfer matrices, an interface refers to the boundary between two media with different refractive indices. It can be a surface between two optical elements, such as a lens and air, or between two layers of different materials.

How does the ray transfer matrix of an interface account for refraction?

The ray transfer matrix of an interface takes into account the change in direction of a ray due to refraction. This is done by using the Snell's Law, which describes the relationship between the angles of incidence and refraction at the interface.

Why is the ray transfer matrix important in optics?

The ray transfer matrix is important in optics because it allows for the prediction and analysis of light propagation through optical systems. It is a powerful tool in designing and optimizing optical systems for various applications such as imaging, sensing, and communication.