RC circuit, expression for voltage

In summary, the conversation discusses deriving an expression for the voltage over a capacitor with respect to time in a circuit with a fully charged capacitor and two resistors in series. Kirchhoff's voltage law and Ohm's law are mentioned, as well as the capacitance of a capacitor and the current equation. The attempt at a solution includes a differential equation which results in the incorrect solution, and the conversation ends with a discussion about the sign conventions for Kirchhoff's voltage law.
nossren

Homework Statement

Assume you have a fully charged capacitor with initial condition [itex]V(0) = V_0[/itex] connected in series to two resistors [itex]R_1[/itex] and [itex]R_2[/itex]. Derive an expression for the voltage over the capacitor with respect to time.

Homework Equations

1. Kirchhoff's voltage law [itex]\sum_n V_n = 0[/itex]
2. Ohm's law: [itex]V=RI[/itex]
3. Capacitance of capacitor: [itex]C = \frac{Q}{V}[/itex]
4. Current [itex]I = \frac{dQ}{dt}[/itex]

The Attempt at a Solution

If I "go" in the direction of the current, then the potential difference over both resistors are negative whereas it is positive over the capacitor, hence
[tex]V(t) - V_{R_{1}} - V_{R_{2}} = 0 = V(t) - R_1 I - R_2 I[/tex].
Which I can rewrite using the time derivative of Q (3 and 4 from above)
[tex]= V(t) - (R_1 + R_2)\frac{dQ}{dt} = V(t) - (R_1 + R_2)C\frac{dV(t)}{dt} = 0 \implies \frac{1}{(R_1 + R_2)C}V(t) - \frac{dV(t)}{dt} = 0[/tex].
By solving this differential equation, I get
[tex]V(t) = V_0e^\frac{t}{(R_1+R_2)C}[/tex]
which is wrong, because the voltage should decrease over time, so a more logical solution would be
[tex]V(t) = V_0e^{-\frac{t}{(R_1+R_2)C}}[/tex].
Is there something I have overlooked? Is Kirchhoff's law setup incorrectly (sign conventions)?

Any help is appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
VC(t) + VR1(t) + VR2(t) = 0 is the equation

Yes, I realize that has to be true for it to be correct, but I am just confused about the signs. My book (Sears and Zemansky's) mentions some sign conventions in relation to Kirchhoff's voltage law (see picture).
w0QUQ.png

So why is it + rather than - ?

You have 3 passive elements in the circuit and no driving emf. Don't know what confuses you.

nossren, have you considered what sign should be associated with dV/dt on the capacitor? Will V be increasing or decreasing given the direction of the current flow?

Related to RC circuit, expression for voltage

What is an RC circuit?

An RC circuit is an electrical circuit that contains both a resistor (R) and a capacitor (C). The capacitor stores electrical charge, while the resistor limits the flow of current. RC circuits are commonly used in electronic devices, such as filters, amplifiers, and timers.

What is the expression for voltage in an RC circuit?

The expression for voltage in an RC circuit is V(t) = V₀(1 - e^(-t/RC)), where V(t) is the voltage at any given time, V₀ is the initial voltage, t is the time, R is the resistance, and C is the capacitance.

How does the capacitor affect the voltage in an RC circuit?

The capacitor in an RC circuit affects the voltage by storing and releasing electrical charge. When the circuit is first connected, the capacitor charges up to the same voltage as the battery. As the capacitor charges, the voltage across it increases, and the voltage across the resistor decreases. Once the capacitor is fully charged, the voltage across it is equal to the voltage of the battery. As the capacitor discharges, the voltage across it decreases, and the voltage across the resistor increases.

What is the time constant in an RC circuit?

The time constant (τ) in an RC circuit is a measure of how quickly the capacitor charges or discharges. It is calculated by multiplying the resistance (R) and capacitance (C) values, τ = RC. The time constant determines the speed at which the voltage changes in the circuit. A larger time constant means a slower change in voltage, while a smaller time constant means a faster change in voltage.

How does the resistor affect the voltage in an RC circuit?

The resistor in an RC circuit affects the voltage by controlling the flow of current. A higher resistance means less current can flow, resulting in a slower charge or discharge of the capacitor. A lower resistance means more current can flow, resulting in a faster charge or discharge of the capacitor. The resistor also determines the time constant in the circuit, as discussed in the previous question.