Real solution of the equation {x} = {x²} = {x³}

• MHB
  • Thread starter juantheron
  • Start date
In summary, the equation $\{x\} = \{x^2\} = \{x^3\}$ has solutions for all values of $k\in\Bbb Z$. For values of $k$ in the form $n(n-1)$, the solutions are non-integer.
juantheron
Find all real solution of the equation $\{x\} = \{x^2\} = \{x^3\}$.

My Try:
Let $\{x\} = \{x^2\} = \{x^3\} = k\;,$ where $k\in \mathbb{R}$ and $0\leq k<1$

Now we can write it as $x-\lfloor x \rfloor = x^2-\lfloor x^2 \rfloor = x^3-\lfloor x^2 \rfloor = k$

Now I did not Understand How can i proceed further.

Help me for solving above Question.

Thanks

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Re: Real solution of the equation $\{x\} = \{x^2\} = \{x^3\}$

jacks said:
Find all real solution of the equation $\{x\} = \{x^2\} = \{x^3\}$.

My Try:
Let $\{x\} = \{x^2\} = \{x^3\} = k\;,$ where $k\in \mathbb{R}$ and $0\leq k<1$

Now we can write it as $x-\lfloor x \rfloor = x^2-\lfloor x^2 \rfloor = x^3-\lfloor x^2 \rfloor = k$

Now I did not Understand How can i proceed further.

Help me for solving above Question.

Thanks

Let's define $x=i+f$ where $i$ is an integer and $0 \le f < 1$.

Then:
$$\{x\} = \{x^2\}$$
$$f = 2if + f^2$$
$$f^2 + f(2i-1) = 0$$
$$f = 0 \vee f = 1-2i$$
In other words, the only solutions occur when the fraction is 0.

... and all integers are solutions.

I like Serena said:
Let's define $x=i+f$ where $i$ is an integer and $0 \le f < 1$.

Then:
$$\{x\} = \{x^2\}$$
$$f = 2if + f^2$$
$\{x\} = \{x^2\}$ does not imply that $f^2 + f(2i-1) = 0$. I don't have suggestions at the moment, but there are many non-integer solutions.

[GRAPH]3eklechsml[/GRAPH]

Evgeny.Makarov said:
$\{x\} = \{x^2\}$ does not imply that $f^2 + f(2i-1) = 0$. I don't have suggestions at the moment, but there are many non-integer solutions.

Ah. You're right.
I see my mistake - it's right in my first step.

A proper solution for $\{x\}=\{x^2\}$ follows from $1+x=x^2 \Rightarrow x^2-x-1=0 \Rightarrow x=\frac 1 2 (\sqrt 5 + 1) \approx 1.618$.
It's the golden number!

It seems that $x^2=x+k$ for all $k\in\Bbb Z$ determines a solution of $\{x^2\}=\{x\}$, and solutions for $k=1,3,4,5,7,8,9,10,11,13,\dots$ are non-integer.

Evgeny.Makarov said:
It seems that $x^2=x+k$ for all $k\in\Bbb Z$ determines a solution of $\{x^2\}=\{x\}$, and solutions for $k=1,3,4,5,7,8,9,10,11,13,\dots$ are non-integer.

$x^2 = x + k$

then $k = x^2-x = x(x-1)$

so k can take all values and if it is n of the form n(n-1) then it is non - integer. n(n-1) shall give integers

as $n(n-1) + n = n^2$

1. What is a real solution?

A real solution is a value for the variable in an equation that makes the equation true when substituted in. In other words, it is the value that satisfies all conditions of the equation.

2. How do you find the real solution of an equation?

To find the real solution of an equation, you need to solve for the variable by using mathematical operations such as addition, subtraction, multiplication, and division. The solution is the value that makes the equation true when substituted in.

3. What does {x} = {x²} = {x³} mean?

This equation means that the variable x is equal to its square and its cube, therefore it is a solution to all three equations simultaneously.

4. Are there multiple real solutions to this equation?

Yes, there can be multiple real solutions to this equation. For example, x = 0 is a solution, as well as x = 1 and x = -1.

5. Can there be no real solutions to this equation?

Yes, there can be no real solutions to this equation. For example, if we were to graph the three equations, we would see that they do not intersect at any point, meaning there is no value of x that satisfies all three equations simultaneously.