Real world apps for the secant function

In summary: The article goes on to say: "The secant function is important in cartography, and finding its integral was a problem of great practical significance that arose before the development of calculus." In summary, the secant function is important for cartography because it allows for the calculation of the length of a sloping roof.
dorksmith1992
On a project i have i need to find a real world application for a function. I chose secant. It's too late to turn back and i need help.

Physics news on Phys.org
secant is hypotenuse/adjacent. So if you know adjacent you can multiply it by the secant of the angle to get the hypotenuse.

Suppose you want to know the length of a sloping roof (to buy some shingles say). It is dangerous and inconvenient to take a tape measure to the roof. But if you know the length of the base of the roof you can multiply it by the secant of the sloping angle of the roof to get the length of the roof.

It's kinda difficult to really find a specific application for secant; usually the application comes as a package of the full set of trigonometric functions. A key application of trigonometric functions would be in the wide field of Fourier Analysis.

The secant function is important in cartography, and finding its integral was a problem of great practical significance that arose before the development of calculus. I remember this being briefly referred to in a calculus book I read. If I recall correctly, there was even a large prize offered to anyone who could solve the problem. A quick google search for information about the event gave this http://books.google.com/books?id=BK...um=1#v=onepage&q=integral secant map&f=false"

Good luck.

Last edited by a moderator:
The cartography example given in the link above by LeonhardEuler is a very nice one.
To evade calculus and simply focus on the secant function, simply understand the paragraph in the article that goes: "Figure 1...the factor sec(theta).'' You can read the rest later when you take calculus.

1. What is the secant function?

The secant function is a mathematical function that is defined as the reciprocal of the cosine function. It is commonly used in trigonometry and has applications in various fields such as physics, engineering, and finance.

2. How is the secant function used in real world applications?

The secant function has many real world applications, such as in physics where it is used to calculate the motion of pendulums and springs. It is also used in engineering to design structures that can withstand stress and in finance for calculating compound interest and growth rates.

3. What are the limitations of using the secant function in real world apps?

One limitation of using the secant function in real world apps is that it can only be used with angles between 0 and 90 degrees. Additionally, it is not defined for certain values such as 0 and 180 degrees, which can be problematic in some applications.

4. How can the secant function be graphed in real world apps?

The secant function can be graphed using a graphing calculator or a computer program. It is a periodic function with a period of 2π, and its graph resembles a series of peaks and valleys. This graph can be used to analyze the behavior of the function and make predictions in real world scenarios.

5. Are there any practical uses for the secant function in everyday life?

While the secant function may not have direct practical uses in everyday life, its applications in fields such as physics and engineering can indirectly impact our daily lives. For example, the design of bridges and buildings relies on the use of the secant function to ensure their stability and safety.