Recommend me some survey books

In summary, the speaker is looking for survey books in Physics and Computer Science that are similar to "Mathematics: Its Contents, Methods, and Meaning" in terms of technicality and depth. They want books that provide explanations of general principles and results, as well as a holistic overview of the fields. The speaker suggests a few possible options for Physics books, including "Basic Concepts of Physics" by Sherwin and "A Unified Grand Tour of Theoretical Physics" by Lawrie. They also mention "The Landau & Lifschitz Course of Theoretical Physics" as a potential resource.
zonk
I am looking for some in-depth survey books that are not afraid to get technical. Say, a book like Mathematics: Its Contents, Methods, and Meaning. It goes over most topics covered in undergrad and is not afraid to get technical. I'm looking for survey books of that caliber in Physics and Computer Science. I would like to know many of the general principles and results, like explanations of pressure and heat and turing machines and algorithmic analysis, but also a holistic overview of those fields so that I would know which topic deals with what.

Physics news on Phys.org
In rough order of technicality:

Sherwin, Basic Concepts of Physics
Feynman Lectures on Physics
Longair, Theoretical Concepts in Physics
Joos, Theoretical Physics
Kompanyets, Theoretical Physics
Krey & Owen, Basic Theoretical Physics
Lawrie, A Unified Grand Tour of Theoretical Physics

The Landau & Lifschitz Course of Theoretical Physics: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Course_of_Theoretical_Physics

Related to Recommend me some survey books

1. What are some recommended survey books for beginners?

Some recommended survey books for beginners include "Survey Methodology" by Robert M. Groves, "Designing Surveys" by Ronald F. Czaja and Johnny Blair, and "Applied Survey Data Analysis" by Steven G. Heeringa, Brady T. West, and Patricia A. Berglund.

2. Are there any survey books that focus on specific industries or fields?

Yes, there are survey books that focus on specific industries or fields such as "Survey Research Methods" by Floyd J. Fowler Jr. for social sciences, "Health Survey Methods" by Timothy P. Johnson for healthcare, and "Marketing Research: An Applied Orientation" by Naresh K. Malhotra for marketing.

3. What are some advanced survey books for experienced researchers?

Some advanced survey books for experienced researchers include "Applied Survey Sampling" by Edward L. Korn and Barry I. Graubard, "Practical Tools for Designing and Weighting Survey Samples" by Richard Valliant, Jill A. Dever, and Frauke Kreuter, and "Total Survey Error in Practice" by Paul P. Biemer, Edith D. de Leeuw, Stephanie Eckman, Brad Edwards, Frauke Kreuter, Lars E. Lyberg, and N. Clyde Tucker.

4. Are there any survey books that discuss online surveys?

Yes, there are survey books that specifically discuss online surveys such as "Internet, Phone, Mail, and Mixed-Mode Surveys: The Tailored Design Method" by Don A. Dillman, Jolene D. Smyth, and Leah Melani Christian, "Conducting Online Surveys" by Valerie M. Sue and Lois A. Ritter, and "The Online Survey Bible: The Top 100 Online Survey Sites Ranked and Rated" by Thomas K. Greenfield.

5. Can you recommend any survey books for those interested in data analysis?

Some survey books that focus on data analysis include "Data Analysis Using Regression and Multilevel/Hierarchical Models" by Andrew Gelman and Jennifer Hill, "Survey Data Analysis" by Arijit Chaudhuri and S. K. Bhattacharya, and "Applied Survey Data Analysis" by Steven G. Heeringa, Brady T. West, and Patricia A. Berglund.