Recommendations to Clean Brake Dust from Wheels?

In summary: I am pretty sure waxing the wheels (not the tires) is intended to make the next washing easier. Just like waxing your car: the dirt and grime adheres to the wax and makes for less scrubbing next car wash.
Saladsamurai
I'm not talking about caked on or burnt on brake dust due to years of neglect. I'm talking my car has 5000 miles on it and came out from an oil change with greasy brake dust all over my alloy wheels. I am not the type to scrub my wheels all weekend, so I want to nip this in the bud before it burns on. If I let it go too long, I am sure it will burn on.

Any thoughts on how I can remove this fresh stuff without it being an all day event? I am thinking of using brake cleaner and then washing it off thoroughly with soapy water.

Physics news on Phys.org
Soapy water first followed by degreaser/tire cleaner at the coin-operated carwash. I wouldn't use brake cleaner if it is possible that it might come in contact with rubber, especially if the rubber (tire) is a key safety component.

Amour-All has a product for getting brake dust and grime off of wheels, spray it on and watch everything run off. It doesn't do anything to the tire rubber itself.

Dr Transport said:
Amour-All has a product for getting brake dust and grime off of wheels, spray it on and watch everything run off. It doesn't do anything to the tire rubber itself.

^ That's what I do.

http://www.armorall.com/products/view_product.php?product_id=28&main_group=3&category_index=wheel

I wouldn't use brake cleaner unless you're actually planning on cleaning your brake pads or rotors.

Last edited by a moderator:
I think I'll give that Armour-All all a shot. Brake cleaner is a bit overkill, though I wonder how the ingredients compare to what's in the Armour-All. I notice in the link they recommend waxing the wheels. Maybe I'll give that a shot as well.

Good to know about Armor-All cleaner. I have alloy wheels on my Ridgeline, and they could afford to look a little nicer.

turbo said:
Good to know about Armor-All cleaner. I have alloy wheels on my Ridgeline, and they could afford to look a little nicer.

Aren't you allergic to that?

micromass said:
Aren't you allergic to that?
I can get my wife to spray the wheels and rinse them off with a hose. I don't use any aerosol products.

She's the one who sprayed the wasp-killer in our woodshed after I got stung.

Saladsamurai said:
I think I'll give that Armour-All all a shot. Brake cleaner is a bit overkill, though I wonder how the ingredients compare to what's in the Armour-All. I notice in the link they recommend waxing the wheels. Maybe I'll give that a shot as well.

I think they recommend waxing the wheels so that you will spend more money on their products. :wink:

Waxing the wheels makes the rubber look squeaky clean, but I'm unaware of any mechanical/performance related advantages to doing so.

Dembadon said:
I think they recommend waxing the wheels so that you will spend more money on their products. :wink:

Waxing the wheels makes the rubber look squeaky clean, but I'm unaware of any mechanical/performance related advantages to doing so.

I am pretty sure waxing the wheels (not the tires) is intended to make the next washing easier. Just like waxing your car: the dirt and grime adheres to the wax and makes for less scrubbing next car wash.

1. What causes brake dust buildup on wheels?

Brake dust is primarily composed of fine particles of metal shavings, carbon fibers, and adhesives from the brake pads and rotors. As the brake pads wear down, these particles are released and accumulate on the wheels.

2. How often should I clean my wheels to remove brake dust?

The frequency of cleaning depends on how often you drive and the type of brake pads you have. In general, it is recommended to clean your wheels every 2-3 weeks to prevent brake dust buildup. However, if you notice a significant amount of brake dust after a shorter period, it may be necessary to clean them more frequently.

3. What is the best way to clean brake dust from wheels?

The most effective method is to use a specialized wheel cleaner or a mixture of water and mild soap. Apply the cleaner to the wheels and use a soft-bristled brush to gently scrub the surface. Rinse thoroughly with water and dry with a clean towel. Avoid using harsh chemicals or abrasive materials that can damage the wheels.

4. Can I prevent brake dust buildup on my wheels?

There is no way to completely prevent brake dust, but there are some measures you can take to reduce it. Switching to ceramic brake pads can significantly decrease the amount of dust produced. Regularly washing your wheels and using a protective coating can also help prevent brake dust from sticking to the surface.

5. Is brake dust harmful to my health?

Brake dust can contain hazardous materials such as copper, asbestos, and lead, which can be harmful if inhaled. It is important to wear gloves and a mask when cleaning brake dust from wheels. If you have respiratory issues, it is best to have someone else clean the wheels for you.