Integral simplification using Bessel functions

In summary: And you have all of this, except the distance factor in the denominator. (Yes, I know you have the 4 in your ## 4 \lambda^2 ##, but not the distance factor. I suspect the authors of the textbooks you have are doing something else to get the extra factor of 4. Maybe they are doing the summation of the whole sequence of Bessel functions, and you have just been working on the first term. (I also think that the textbooks are giving you the intensity as a function
roam

Homework Statement

I need to simplify the following integral

$$f(r, \theta, z) =\frac{1}{j\lambda z} e^{jkr^2/2z} \int^{d/2}_0 \int^{2\pi}_0 \exp \left( -\frac{j2\pi r_0 r}{z\lambda} \cos \theta_0 \right) r_0 \ d\theta_0 dr_0 \tag{1}$$

Using the following integrals:

$$\int^{2\pi}_0 \cos (z \cos \theta) d \theta = 2 \pi J_0 (z) \tag{i}$$
$$\int^{2\pi}_0 \sin (z \cos \theta) d \theta =0 \tag{ii}$$
$$\int^{z}_0 z J_0 (u) du=zJ_1 (z) \tag{iii}$$

P. S. This integral is meant to give the radial intensity profile of the diffraction pattern of the circular aperture (##|f(r, \theta, z)|^2 ##). I am required to express this as a simple function of a ##J_1(.)^2## function. Here ##J_n (z)## denotes the Bessel function of order ##n##.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Leaving aside the constant ##A=\frac{1}{j\lambda z} e^{jkr^2/2z}## in the front, the integral becomes:

$$\int^{d/2}_0 r_0 \int^{2\pi}_0 \exp \left( -\frac{j2\pi r_0 r}{z\lambda} \cos \theta_0 \right) \ d\theta_0 dr_0 $$

$$=\int^{d/2}_0 r_0 \int^{2\pi}_0 \cos \left( -\frac{j2\pi r_0 r}{z\lambda} \cos \theta_0 \right) + j \sin \left( -\frac{j2\pi r_0 r}{z\lambda} \cos \theta_0 \right) \ d\theta_0 dr_0 $$

Using (i) and (ii):

$$=\int^{d/2}_0 r_0 2 \pi J_0 \left( \frac{j2\pi r_0 r}{z\lambda} \right) dr_0 $$

Here I had to use a substitution ##u=j2\pi r r_0/z \lambda##, and ##dr_0 = \frac{z \lambda}{j2\pi r} du##:

$$\left( \frac{z\lambda}{j 2 \pi r} \right)^2 2 \pi \int^{\frac{z \lambda d}{4 j \pi r}}_0 u J_0 (u) du$$

Using (iii) this becomes:

$$\therefore f(r, \theta, z) = A. \frac{d}{r} \left( \frac{z \lambda}{2 \pi r} \right)^2 J_1 \left( \frac{z \lambda d}{4 j \pi r} \right)$$

However, in textbooks, this intensity distribution (known as 'Airy pattern') is given by:

$$|f(r, \theta, z)|^2 = \left( \frac{\pi d^2}{4 \lambda^2} \right)^2 \left[ \frac{2 J_1 \left( \frac{d \pi r}{z \lambda} \right)}{\frac{\pi d r}{\lambda z}} \right].$$

So, why is my answer so different? What is the mistake? :confused:

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
I think the error is in the limit on your integral. When ## r_o=d/2 ##, ## u=... ##. ## \\ ## Also another error before that: ## e^{jx}=cos(x)+jsin(x) ##. There is no ## j ## in the cos(x) or ## sin(x) ## and no j in the ## J_o(x). ## It is not ## J_o(jx) ##, etc.

Likes roam
Charles Link said:
I think the error is in the limit on your integral. When ## r_o=d/2 ##, ## u=... ##. ## \\ ## Also another error before that: ## e^{jx}=cos(x)+jsin(x) ##. There is no ## j ## in the cos(x) or ## sin(x) ## and no j in the ## J_o(x). ## It is not ## J_o(jx) ##, etc.

Thank you so much for pointing out the mistake in ##dr_0##. The j in cos and sin was a typo.

So, using ##u=\frac{2\pi r}{z \lambda}r_0## and ##dr_0 = \frac{z \lambda}{2\pi r} du## we find:

$$f(r, \theta, z) = A \int^{d/2}_0 \left( \frac{z \lambda}{2 \pi r} \right)^2 2 \pi u J_0 (u) du$$

$$= A \left( \frac{z \lambda}{2 \pi r} \right)^2 \pi d \ J_1 \left( \frac{d}{2} \right)$$

But according to textbooks, squaring this should give the intensity as:

$$I(r) = \left( \frac{\pi d^2}{4 \lambda^2} \right)^2 \left[ \frac{2 J_1 \left( \frac{d \pi r}{z \lambda} \right)}{\frac{d \pi r}{z \lambda}} \right]^2$$

I don't think I've made any other mistakes. So why is my answer so different? Have they used some properties of the Bessel functions to further manipulate this?

Last edited:
Likes Charles Link
Setting ## r_o=d/2 ## gives you for the upper limit on the integral as ## u=\pi r d/(z \lambda ) ## when ## r_o=d/2 ##. ## \\ ## Editing...okay, I see what you did=let me look it over a little more...

roam said:
Thank you so much for pointing out the mistake in ##dr_0##. The j in cos and sin was a typo.

So, using ##u=\frac{2\pi r}{z \lambda}r_0## and ##dr_0 = \frac{z \lambda}{2\pi r} du## we find:

$$f(r, \theta, z) = A \int^{d/2}_0 \left( \frac{z \lambda}{2 \pi r} \right)^2 2 \pi u J_0 (u) du$$

$$= A \left( \frac{z \lambda}{2 \pi r} \right)^2 \pi d \ J_1 \left( \frac{d}{2} \right)$$

But according to textbooks, squaring this should give the intensity as:

$$I(r) = \left( \frac{\pi d^2}{4 \lambda^2} \right)^2 \left[ \frac{2 J_1 \left( \frac{d \pi r}{z \lambda} \right)}{\frac{d \pi r}{z \lambda}} \right]^2$$

I don't think I've made any other mistakes. So why is my answer so different? Have they used some properties of the Bessel functions to further manipulate this?
@roam What you have written from the textbooks is not completely correct. I think you are a whole lot closer. Upon doing some algebra and taking ## |f|^2 ##, I get for your result ## (\frac{\pi d}{\lambda z})^2 J_1^2 (\frac{\pi r d}{\lambda z}) ##. ## \\ ## A google of the topic, (along with a change from ## \lambda^2 ## to ## \lambda z ## in the first term of your "textbook" solution) gives the result ## ( \frac{\pi d^2}{4 \lambda z})^2 [ \frac{2 J_1(\frac{\pi r d}{\lambda z})}{(\frac{\pi r d}{\lambda z})}]^2 ##. If this is the case, the difference in the two expressions is something like a factor of ## 4r^2 ##. ## \\ ## (Editing note: I see you correctly squared the ## J_1 ## term in the textbook solution you gave in post #3 for the Airy disc. In the OP, the exponent of 2 is absent. ) ## \\ ## Additional note is the on-axis intensity in one google article was simply given as ## I_o ##, and what I used is more in agreement with a little logic along with a result from a recent Insights article which I authored: The Diffraction Limited Spot Size with Perfect Focusing In this case, you have a screen at distance ## z ## rather than a lens that will give you the far field at distance ## f ## as in my article, but notice ## \frac{\pi d^2}{4 } ## is the area of the aperture, and the on-axis intensity is proportional to the square of this area. (See my article). Also, the on-axis intensity is inversely proportional to the square of the wavelength (and not the fourth power) (see my article again), and the on-axis intensity will fall off as ## \frac{1}{z^2} ##. Thereby, it makes sense that the term is ## \lambda z ## rather than ## \lambda^2 ## inside the parentheses in the denominator of the first term. ## \\ ## Editing: Upon repeating the algebra, etc., I get complete agreement between your result and the textbook result that I gave. (I resolved the ## 4 r^2 ## factor.)

Last edited:
Likes roam
@roam I spotted a mistake you made near the last line of post #3: ## r_o=d/2 ##, but the ## zJ_1(z) ## needs to be ## (\frac{\pi r d}{\lambda z}) J_1(\frac{\pi r d}{\lambda z}) ## and not ## (d/2)J_1(\frac{d}{2}) ##.

Likes roam
Thank you for your correction!

So we have:

$$I(r) = \left[ 2 \pi \left( \frac{z\lambda}{2 \pi r} \right)^2 \frac{\pi r d}{\lambda z} J_1 \left( \frac{\pi r d}{\lambda z} \right) \right]^2$$

which simplifies to:

$$I(r) = \left( \frac{z \lambda d}{2 r} \right)^2 \left[ J_1 \left( \frac{\pi r d}{\lambda z} \right) \right]^2$$

But here I am not getting the inverse square law you've mentioned.

How did you manipulate the last expression to get ##( \frac{\pi d^2}{4 \lambda z})^2 [ \frac{2 J_1(\frac{\pi r d}{\lambda z})}{(\frac{\pi r d}{\lambda z})}]^2##? :confused:

roam said:
Thank you for your correction!

So we have:

$$I(r) = \left[ 2 \pi \left( \frac{z\lambda}{2 \pi r} \right)^2 \frac{\pi r d}{\lambda z} J_1 \left( \frac{\pi r d}{\lambda z} \right) \right]^2$$

which simplifies to:

$$I(r) = \left( \frac{z \lambda d}{2 r} \right)^2 \left[ J_1 \left( \frac{\pi r d}{\lambda z} \right) \right]^2$$

But here I am not getting the inverse square law you've mentioned.

How did you manipulate the last expression to get ##( \frac{\pi d^2}{4 \lambda z})^2 [ \frac{2 J_1(\frac{\pi r d}{\lambda z})}{(\frac{\pi r d}{\lambda z})}]^2##? :confused:
You have a term ## |A|=\frac{1}{\lambda z} ## that you haven't included. You need to include that term. Multiplying and dividing by ## \frac{\pi rd}{\lambda z} ## will put an exponent of 2 on the term ## (\frac{\pi r d }{\lambda z}) ## in the middle, and putting a 2 on the ## J_1 ## term will cause a division by 2 on the first term. I think that should complete it.

Last edited:
Likes roam
@roam I just wanted to do a follow-up on this calculation and comment that most of the features of the Airy disc (such as the width of the pattern and the on-axis intensity) are more readily computed by using a square (or rectangular (dimensions axb)) aperture to create the diffraction pattern, and looking simply at the far-field pattern. Assuming ## I(\theta, \phi)=I_o i_a(\theta) i_b(\phi) ## where ## \theta ## is azimuthal angle and ## \phi ## is elevation angle, and ## i_a(\theta) ## defines the normalized diffraction pattern in a single dimension for slit width ## a ## . (Angles are assumed small enough that the coordinate system remains well-defined. This is the method I used in my Insights article.). ## \\ ## The on-axis intensity/irradiance (watts/m^2) can be found squaring the result for the electric field amplitude ## E(0,0,z) ## from the complete diffraction integral by setting the phase term equal to zero in the integral. The result is ## I_o=E_i^2 \frac{A^2}{\lambda^2 z^2} ##, where there may be an additional constant (depending on the units) that relates power per unit area ## I ## to electric field squared ## E^2 ##. (## E_i ## is the incident electric field amplitude). This result in the far-field holds regardless of whether the aperture is circular or rectangular .## \\ ## In order to have energy conservation, the effective area of the diffraction pattern in the far-field ## A_{effective} ##, must be ## A_{effective}=\frac{\lambda^2 z^2}{A} ##. (Note that total power ## P=I_o A_{effective}=E_i^2 A ## ). This is consistent with the parameter ## \frac{\pi rd}{\lambda z } ## inside of ## J_1 ##. The effective width of this function will be (aside from a constant) such that ## \Delta r=\frac{\lambda z}{d} ##, so that the effective area of the pattern will indeed be on the order of ## A_{effective}=\frac{\lambda^2 z^2}{A} ##. (This result follows quickly from considering the width of the pattern for a rectangular aperture.) ## \\ ## Your post was actually the first time I have worked through the Airy disc calculation in its entirety, and I was glad that you had already posted the major part of the calculation. :) :) ## \\ ## Editing: There is actually one additional result that should follow from the results above: ## \int\limits_{0}^{+ \infty} \frac{J_1^2(x)}{x^2} x \, dx = ##Constant, that will correctly normalize the result that we obtained. And here is a "link": Equation (76) says the Constant is 1/2. http://mathworld.wolfram.com/BesselFunctionoftheFirstKind.html ## \\ ## This result is consistent with ##2 \pi \int\limits_{0}^{+\infty} (\frac{ 2 J_1(\frac{\pi rd}{\lambda z})}{\frac{\pi rd }{\lambda z}})^2 r \, dr=A_{effective}=\frac{\lambda^2 z^2}{A} ## where ## A=\frac{\pi d^2}{4} ## where the ## 2 \pi ## in front comes from a ## d \phi ## integration in polar coordinates.

Last edited:
Likes etotheipi and roam

1. What are Bessel functions?

Bessel functions are a special type of mathematical function that are commonly used in many fields of science and engineering to solve problems involving circular or cylindrical symmetry. They were first introduced by mathematician Daniel Bernoulli in the 18th century and are named after the German astronomer Friedrich Bessel.

2. What is the purpose of integral simplification using Bessel functions?

The purpose of integral simplification using Bessel functions is to simplify complex integrals involving circular or cylindrical symmetry into a form that can be easily evaluated. This is particularly useful in many areas of physics, such as electromagnetism and quantum mechanics, where these types of integrals commonly arise.

3. How are Bessel functions related to each other?

Bessel functions are related to each other through a recursive formula known as the Bessel differential equation. This equation relates the derivatives of different orders of Bessel functions and allows for the simplification of integrals involving these functions.

4. What are some common applications of integral simplification using Bessel functions?

Some common applications of integral simplification using Bessel functions include solving problems involving heat transfer, electromagnetic fields, and quantum mechanical systems. They are also used in signal processing, image analysis, and acoustics.

5. Are there any limitations to using Bessel functions for integral simplification?

While Bessel functions are a powerful tool for simplifying integrals, there are some limitations to their use. For example, they may not be applicable to integrals involving non-circular or non-cylindrical symmetries. Additionally, they may not be suitable for all types of integrals and may require alternative methods for evaluation in some cases.