Related Rates and Volume and Change in height

In summary, the concept of related rates involves using the chain rule to find the rate of change of one variable with respect to another. Related rates and volume are related because volume is a measure of space and related rates involve finding the rate of change of a variable. The formula for finding the volume of a three-dimensional object depends on its shape. To find the change in height using related rates, an equation is set up and the chain rule is used to differentiate it. Real-life applications of related rates and volume include engineering, physics, and economics. They can be used to solve problems involving flow rates, speed, and price changes, and can also enhance problem-solving and critical thinking abilities.
Qube
Gold Member

Homework Statement

http://i6.minus.com/jErr8PMddiofz.png

Homework Equations

V of cone = pi/3 (r^2)h

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm assuming this is correct and that dh/dt = 0.2 ft/min

I basically substituted a value of h in for the radius so I wouldn't be doing multi-var calculus and differentiated from there using the chain rule as needed.

http://i.minus.com/jUeLLF0Kxg3hp.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
I didn't check the arithmetic in the final step, but it looks fine down to there.

Alright great :-)! Thanks ::)

Related to Related Rates and Volume and Change in height

1. What is the concept of related rates?

The concept of related rates is a mathematical technique used to find the rate of change of one variable with respect to another variable. It involves using the chain rule to differentiate an equation with respect to time, and then solving for the desired rate of change.

2. How are related rates and volume related?

Related rates and volume are related because volume is a measure of the amount of space an object occupies, and related rates involve finding the rate of change of a variable with respect to another variable. In problems involving volume and related rates, the volume of a three-dimensional object is often changing as one of its dimensions changes.

3. What is the formula for finding the volume of a three-dimensional object?

The formula for finding the volume of a three-dimensional object depends on the shape of the object. For example, the formula for finding the volume of a cylinder is V = πr^2h, where r is the radius and h is the height of the cylinder. It is important to use the correct formula when solving problems involving volume and related rates.

4. How do you find the change in height using related rates?

To find the change in height using related rates, you first need to set up an equation that relates the variables involved (such as the height and the rate of change of the height). Then, you can use the chain rule to differentiate the equation with respect to time. Finally, you can solve for the desired rate of change by plugging in the given values and solving for the unknown variable.

5. What are some real-life applications of related rates and volume?

Related rates and volume have many real-life applications, including in engineering, physics, and economics. For example, they can be used to calculate the flow rate of a liquid in a tank, the speed of an object falling under gravitational acceleration, or the rate of change of the price of a product over time. Understanding related rates and volume can also help in problem-solving and critical thinking skills.