Derivatives, rates of change (trapezoidal prism)

In summary: Otherwise, you will end up with a different answer.In summary, the conversation discusses a water trough with specific dimensions and a fill rate of 0.2 m^3/min. The question asks for the water level's rate of change when it is 30 cm deep. To solve this, the formula V=(a+b)hL/2 is used, and b is expressed in terms of h. This ultimately gives an answer of 10/3 cm/min. It is important to note that all units should be consistent when solving this problem.
physics604
1. A water trough is 10 m long and a cross-section has the shape of an isosceles trapezoid that is 30 cm wide at the bottom, 80 cm wide at the top, and has height 50 cm. If the trough is being filled with water at the rate of 0.2 m^3/min, how fast is the water level rising when the water is 30 cm deep?

Homework Equations

$$V=\frac{(a+b)h}{2}×L$$

The Attempt at a Solution

Given (I converted all to cm):
$$a=30$$ $$\frac{da}{dt}=0$$ $$base=80$$ $$height=50$$ $$\frac{dV}{dt}=0.2$$ $$h=30$$ $$L=10$$ $$\frac{dL}{dt}=0$$

I need to find $$\frac{dh}{dt}$$

After I find the derivative of V using natural log.
$$lnV=\frac{1}{2}ln(a+b)hL$$
$$lnV=\frac{1}{2}ln(a+b)+lnh+lnL$$
$$\frac{dV}{dt}=\frac{1}{2}(\frac{db/dt}{a+b}+\frac{dh/dt}{h})×V$$

I don't know how I'm supposed to find $$\frac{db}{dt}$$ i get b=60.

Any help is much appreciated.

Attachments

• diagram.png
    diagram.png
    7.4 KB · Views: 1,018
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
This is the same as the other one - you don't need to deal with all those logs.

(a+b)L/2 is just a constant that you are given. Put k=2/(a+b)L
Lynchpin You need to express b in terms of h.

Think it through - let a is the bottom, and c is the top, the overall height is H.
0<h<H
when h=0, what is b(h) equal to?
when h=H, what is b(h) equal to?
what formula makes that happen? b(h)=

* Rearrange your formula to make h the subject.
* differentiate both sides to get dh/dt in terms of dV/dt.
* You are given dV/dt.

Last edited:
Thanks, but I still get this.

$$2V=(a+b)hL$$ $$h=\frac{2V}{(a+b)L}=Vk$$ $$\frac{dh}{dt}=\frac{dV}{dt}k=0.2×\frac{2}{(30+60)1000}$$

I don't get the right answer, which is 10/3.

Still the wrong formula.
I misread you - I thought you put b as the top width - my bad.
I have rewritten post #2 to reflet this.

Think it through - let a is the bottom, and c is the top, the overall height is H.
0<h<H

Still the wrong formula.
I misread you - I thought you put b as the top width - my bad.
I have rewritten post #2 to reflet this.

0<h<H

Watch your units!

If you are going to use cm for the dimensions of the trough, then the fill rate of 0.2 m^3/min should also be converted to units of cm^/min.

1. What are derivatives?

Derivatives are mathematical tools used to calculate the rate of change of a function at a specific point. They represent the slope of a tangent line at a point on a curve and can be used to analyze the behavior of a function.

2. How are derivatives used in real life?

Derivatives have many practical applications in fields such as physics, economics, and engineering. They can be used to model and predict the behavior of complex systems, such as the stock market or the movement of objects in space.

3. What is the relationship between derivatives and rates of change?

Derivatives and rates of change are closely related, as derivatives are used to calculate the instantaneous rate of change of a function at a specific point. In other words, derivatives represent the rate at which a function is changing at a given point.

4. How is a trapezoidal prism different from other prisms?

A trapezoidal prism is a three-dimensional shape with two parallel bases that are trapezoids and four lateral faces that are rectangles. This is different from other prisms, such as rectangular or triangular prisms, which have bases that are all the same shape.

5. How are derivatives and trapezoidal prisms related?

Derivatives can be used to find the volume of a trapezoidal prism by calculating the rate of change of the area of its cross-sections. This is known as the volume by cross-sections method and is based on the fundamental theorem of calculus.