Relative Intensity of Various Light Sources - Lab Experiment

In summary, the conversation is about determining the power for relative intensity, which is given in units of W/m/s. The speaker wonders if this is a typo and if there is a way to calculate power or use an alternative approach. They also mention that relative intensity may be a ratio or a measure of perceived brightness.
K_Physics

Homework Statement

I've linked my data table down below. My problem is the relative intensity column. From the table, the units of relative intensity are w/m/s. I'm assuming this is power/velocity, where velocity is the speed of light. However, nowhere in the lab manual did it mention the power. So I was wondering whether there is a way to determine power, or perhaps an alternative approach. I'm fairly certain I did not miss any data collection steps. So any guidance here would be greatly appreciated.

Homework Equations

c = λv

The Attempt at a Solution

Relative Intensity = Power/Velocity?

Attachments

• Lab Table.png
    Lab Table.png
    22.5 KB · Views: 514
Physics news on Phys.org
K_Physics said:

Homework Statement

I've linked my data table down below. My problem is the relative intensity column. From the table, the units of relative intensity are w/m/s. I'm assuming this is power/velocity, where velocity is the speed of light. However, nowhere in the lab manual did it mention the power. So I was wondering whether there is a way to determine power, or perhaps an alternative approach. I'm fairly certain I did not miss any data collection steps. So any guidance here would be greatly appreciated.

Homework Equations

c = λv

The Attempt at a Solution

Relative Intensity = Power/Velocity?
Power / velocity makes no sense in this context. W/m/s looks like a typo. If they really meant that it should be written Ws/m.
Relative intensity is not a well-defined term. The obvious interpretation would make it simply a ratio, such as a fraction of the total power. In that case it would be dimensionless.
If the context is perception, it might mean perceived brightness.
In some contexts the s could be a reference to steradians rather than seconds, but the W/m/s formula still makes no sense.

Likes BvU

1. What is the purpose of measuring the relative intensity of various light sources in a lab experiment?

The purpose of this lab experiment is to determine the relative intensity of different light sources, which can help us understand how different light sources affect our perception of color and brightness. This information can also be useful in determining the most efficient and effective light sources for different applications.

2. What factors can affect the relative intensity of a light source?

The relative intensity of a light source can be affected by factors such as the type of light source, the distance between the light source and the measuring instrument, the angle at which the light is measured, and the surrounding environment (e.g. ambient light, reflective surfaces).

3. How is the relative intensity of a light source measured?

The relative intensity of a light source is typically measured using a light meter, which can measure the amount of light energy at a specific location and wavelength. The light meter is typically placed at a specific distance and angle from the light source to ensure accurate measurements.

4. What is the difference between relative intensity and absolute intensity of a light source?

Relative intensity refers to the brightness or strength of a light source compared to other light sources, while absolute intensity refers to the actual amount of light energy emitted by a light source. In other words, relative intensity is a comparison between light sources, while absolute intensity is a measurement of the light source itself.

5. How can the relative intensity of light sources be used in real-world applications?

The relative intensity of light sources can be used in a variety of real-world applications, such as lighting design, photography, and color analysis. It can also be used in industries that require precise and consistent lighting, such as medical imaging, manufacturing, and agriculture.