Relativistic dynamics of high energy particles

In summary, the conversation discusses the absorption of a photon by a resting particle and the resulting speed of the new particle. It also explores the energy levels of protons and their perception of Earth's thickness and age. The conversation also delves into the time it takes for a proton to traverse our galaxy, taking into consideration length contraction and time dilation. The equations of conservation of energy, length contraction, time dilation, and Lorentz transformations are used to solve for the unknown variables in each scenario. The age of Earth in the proton's frame is determined to be equal to the proton's lifespan. Overall, the conversation raises questions about the perception of time and space in different frames of reference.
jianxu

Homework Statement

a) a photon of energy E = 2m0c2 hits a resting particle of rest mass m0 and is absorbed by it. What is the subsequent speed of the new particle after absorption

b)Protons have been observed with energies of up to 1021 eV. How thick does Earth appear to the proton?

c) how old does Earth appear to the proton?

d)Our galaxy has a diameter of about 105 light years. How long does such a proton take to traverse it in our perception and in the proper time of the proton?

Homework Equations

conservation of energy
length contraction
time dilation
lorentz transformations

E total = (m^2)/[tex]\sqrt{(1+\frac{u^2}{c^2}}[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

for part a, I said that energy must be conserved therefore I get 2m0c^2(energy of moving photon) + 2m0c^2(rest mass of stationary particle) = (mc^2)/[tex]\sqrt{(1+\frac{u^2}{c^2}}[/tex] and at this point I solved for u and got:
u = [tex]\sqrt{c^2(1-\frac{m^2}{9m0^2}}[/tex]

I'm not sure if it's right so I wanted to check if it's correct or not

for part b:
I use the following: E' = [tex]\gamma[/tex](E - v*p)
E = (mc^2)/[tex]\sqrt{(1+\frac{u^2}{c^2}}[/tex]
p = (m*u)/[tex]\sqrt{(1+\frac{u^2}{c^2}}[/tex]

I'm not sure if I'm doing this right so all of this is symbolic
so I solved for u since we know E, so
u = [tex]\sqrt{c^2(1-\frac{(m*c^2)^2}{E^2}}[/tex]

that allows me to solve for p, then I plug in everything into the transformation equation.
Then I solve for u' using the same method as above and since I also know that L/u = t and so I can use time dilation to find t' which gives us L' = t'*u'?

for part c:
I'm not sure how to solve for this, I guess the age of the Earth in the proton's frame is just however long the proton's life is?

for part d:
Since we know the energy and the speed in both frames can we just apply L/u = t to find the time it takes to traverse the galaxy?

Any suggestions will be welcome, and thanks for taking your time to read/help ^_^

Physics news on Phys.org
someone please help

Related to Relativistic dynamics of high energy particles

1. What is relativistic dynamics?

Relativistic dynamics is the study of the motion and behavior of objects moving at speeds near the speed of light, taking into account the effects of special relativity.

2. What are high energy particles?

High energy particles are subatomic particles that have significantly higher energy levels than typical particles, often achieved through accelerating them to near the speed of light.

3. How does special relativity affect the behavior of high energy particles?

Special relativity states that as an object approaches the speed of light, its mass and energy increase and its length contracts. This has a significant impact on the behavior of high energy particles, leading to phenomena such as time dilation and the inability to accelerate past the speed of light.

4. What is the role of the Large Hadron Collider (LHC) in studying relativistic dynamics of high energy particles?

The LHC is a particle accelerator that collides high energy particles together, allowing scientists to study the behavior and interactions of these particles at extremely high speeds. This has allowed for discoveries and advancements in the field of relativistic dynamics.

5. What practical applications does the study of relativistic dynamics of high energy particles have?

Understanding the behavior of high energy particles is crucial in fields such as particle physics, astrophysics, and nuclear energy. It also has practical applications in technologies such as medical imaging and particle accelerators used in cancer treatment.