Removing Resistors for Same Output Voltage

In summary, given an output voltage of 4V, it is possible to remove resistor Z to achieve the same output voltage. Thinking of X and Y as two parallel resistors, combining them in series and removing Z will not affect the voltage and current in the other resistor. The calculated EMF is 6V and removing resistor Z will result in a current change from 2mA to 1.33mA. However, further clarification is needed on whether any working out is necessary for this problem.
TyErd

Homework Statement

Provided that the output voltage is 4V, which one or more resistors can be removed to get the same output voltage.

Homework Equations

V=IR

The Attempt at a Solution

Im not sure if any working out is necessary here or not

Attachments

• circuit5.JPG
    circuit5.JPG
    8.2 KB · Views: 322
Physics news on Phys.org
From the given data, find the emf of the cell.
To get the same output, what to do with X and Z so that the current in Y is 2 mA ?

Think about it this way: If you combined X and Y in series, you'd have two parallel resistors. If you removed one of those parallel resistors(Z!), the voltage across and the current through the other parallel resistor does not change.

okay EMF I calculated to be 6V, and then I combined X and Y to make another 3000ohm resistor and because I want output to be 4V, then that would mean current has to change from 2mA to 1.33mA correct? which means i can remove Resistor Z. Is that right I am not sure

Related to Removing Resistors for Same Output Voltage

What is a resistor and what is its function?

A resistor is an electronic component that is designed to limit the flow of electric current in a circuit. It is used to control the amount of voltage and current in a circuit, which is essential for the proper functioning of electronic devices.

How do resistors affect voltage in a circuit?

Resistors have a property known as resistance, which is measured in ohms. This resistance limits the amount of current that can flow through a circuit, which in turn affects the voltage. The higher the resistance of a resistor, the lower the voltage will be in the circuit.

What is the relationship between resistance and voltage?

According to Ohm's law, there is a direct relationship between resistance and voltage. This means that as the resistance increases, the voltage will also increase. Similarly, as the resistance decreases, the voltage will also decrease.

How are resistors used in electronic devices?

Resistors are used in electronic devices for a variety of purposes. They can be used to limit the current flow in a circuit, to adjust the voltage levels, and to protect sensitive components from damage. They are also used in combination with other components to create different types of circuits for specific functions.

How do I determine the value of a resistor?

The value of a resistor is measured in ohms and can be determined by reading the color-coded bands on the resistor. Each band represents a different number and multiplier, which can be used in a formula to calculate the resistance value. Alternatively, a multimeter can be used to directly measure the resistance of a resistor.